Clutch Problems!

OB_Nygie

Registered
Has anyone had any problems with their clutch! - it's like it suddenly engages if you set yours revs too high when setting off (ie. above 3,000rpm). My bikes in the shop at the moment for 108 & 109 doing and a new tank under warranty. I told my dealer about the problem and I don't think he quite got what I meant. Its like the clutch just engages immediatley as if you'd dropped it (hey there goes the back tyre -spin spin) my dealer said (complacently)he would have to test drive it. He was back on the telephone within 10 minutes sounding rather shaken.
"Thats not right, we're going to have have a look at that". So when I know the results I post them. This problem has been there pretty much from the off, but I thought it might go with a bit of milage on the bike, but it didn't. I've done just short of 7,000m up to now.
Nygie

IT'S POSSIBLE YOU MIGHT HAVE ONE OR MORE BROKEN PRESSURE SPRINGS.STOCK YOU CAN'T REV PAST 6000RPM SAY IF YOU WERE AT DRAGSTRIP.BUT IF IT'S LOCKING UP AT THREE I WOULD SAY THE SPRINGS.

There is definitley something wrong with the clutch, my mates bikes don't do it and most of all my dealer agrees that there's something wrong. If your's does it an d you can live with thats up to you!!
Nygie

The way that Busa clutch behaves could be called "works as designed" as it's a form of power-assisted clutch to put more pressure on those puny little 150 mm plates (for a bike with that kinda torque).
Suzuki designed the Busa clutch with a combo of anti-hop/lock on deceleration to prevent
rear wheel lockup during downshifts and engine-braking and on acceleration some way of increasing pressure on the plates, but this last feature feels like a sudden lock-up of the clutch if you're one of those riders that sometimes likes to take-off really quickly/agressively with slipping clutch and lotsa revs. It seems like the clutch has a mind of his own with regards to when it fully engages. According to another post this may be prevented by keeping revs above 4 thou rpm but I can't tell you if that really works?
So, there's nothing seriously wrong with your Busa clutch and your mates should do exactly the same if he rides a Busa as well.

Nygie. There is NOTHING wrong with your clutch. Its designed to do just that.
Busa....Try go back to the dragstrip and relase the clutch at 3000rpm and give it a handful at the same time. ,
Hey every other post here on this site has been about this "problem" . Me myself didnt notice before I went to the strip myself , but now when I am aware of it, I can feel it everytime I use the trottle ( and its often I do that... :) )
Sorry Busa for disagree with u one more time. I guess I am just a smartass....hehehe

To make a smooooth launch ( on the dragstrip ) it seems like u have to be very careful to NOT overrev it . and by overrev it I mean under 2000 rpm. This makes it easier to control the clutch. I found out an other way. By changing the revs on the starting line by blipping the trottle like I was driving a Turbo ( now here comes that word again..Turbo turbo...sounds nice... :) ) I could fool the clutch into acting like a normal one.( Dont ask me how..I dont understand myself and I like to think of mysel as beeing pretty good with tools and to understand engines ( yeah brag along ))
Well it worked almost everytime until I got to the semifinals , then the clutch locked solid and I spun off the line and almost chrashed.....
Next Year ill put my YNGVE mod on the clutch . :)

Nygie,
Your clutch is normal-It only locks up like that once or twice when its cold. Do a few second gear burnouts and it will stop "chirping". My bike almost never does that now.
ducmanic
Los Angeles

leave at 4200rpm roll out the clutch ,when the bike starts pulling release clutch smooth.don't dump it,once released hammer the throttle.this method has produce 1.50 to 1.55 60ft. times constantly.it'll take some practice. this is with 185lb rider,depending on weight vary rpm until you get right.

Anyone else try the 4200 rpm method?
I tried this before and lit up the tire with a bang.
I like Yngve's method and have been doing it that way for a month or more. But, 1.55!
Best I can get is 1.70 maybe i should try this again.
Bob

THIS METHOD REQUIRE'S A GOOD TIRE SAY GP207.YOU CAN TAKE SOME COMPRESSION OUT OF REAR SHOCK.STOCK TIRE WILL WORK,BUT I LIKE TO KNOW I'LL HOOK UP.

just bite the bullet and buy the schnitz/brock clutch mod. i think its the best spent money i have shelled out for my busa so far. it makes it"normal" so i can have total control when launching.
ya have to be alittle more carful since its less forgiving on downshifts but im tellin ya . get it and youll love it!

AT LAST! A reply from my dealer. After a lenghtly discussion with Suzuki they seem to have come up with a "solution". My dealer says the clutch is 99% better than what it was. The Problem according to Suzuki is that the clutches are assembled dry and this causes problems on some Busas. Solution- to strip down clutch and soak plates in oil overnight.
There you have it! even though it sounds very lame, WILL HAVE TO WAIT TILL I GET IT BACK ON THURSDAY- Hopefully. Waiting for new tensioner. If anybody else tries this thing with soaking the plates let us know.
Nygie

[This message has been edited by Nygie (edited 24 October 1999).]

i had mine installed when the bike went in for dyno time at flat-out racing in indpls.. i paid 240.00 for the installed kit. i believe the kit itself is 140.00 + core charge from schnitz racing . schnitz is in decatur , IN. 1-800-837-9730 you want pn#bro1012 . they also have it available without a cor required for 220.00 under pn #bro1012-no. its a very worthwile expense!!

i had mine installed when the bike went in for dyno time at flat-out racing in indpls.. i paid 240.00 for the installed kit. i believe the kit itself is 140.00 + core charge from schnitz racing . schnitz is in decatur , IN. 1-800-837-9730 you want pn#bro1012 . they also have it available without a cor required for 220.00 under pn #bro1012-no. its a very worthwile expense!!

Hi Guys. Got mi bike back today and the clutch is brilliant, almost cured of that horrid snatchyness "thats normal". I can slowly engage the clutch at 4,000 revs quite easily without it dumping. Getting away at the lights is a treat, no more of "is it going make me look a p***k" by chucking off yhe back or spinning the wheel like a hooligan. Although it can be pretty cool sometimes if you've cash to burn.
Have fun with your snatchy clutches or nice clutch mods that cost $$$.
Nygie

Lyle, check Nygie's previous reply in the above.

At first it seems lame, but on the other hand this would explain some of the weird 'Busa phenomenon we have been seeing/hearing, wouldn't it?

Some have mysteriously burnt their clutches, very many have problems with the very rough engagement of the power-clutch feature and we have that Motorrad (German mag) 'Busa where the cam/ramps of that inner/outer clutch cam were more or less destroyed.

With my "common sense" I can combine these things with what Nygie was told and it would make some sense.

Any more experienced wrenches out there wanna contribute their ideas?

Hey wait a minute..aren`t these bikes equiped with wet clutches? Like dont they sit in oil? Doesn`t oil get in between the clutch packs when you disengage the clutch?Am I smoking crack cause I dont feel the buzz?

Apparentley Busa clutches don't accually sit in oil, cos the're higher up the engine.
Or thats what my dealer told me!
Nygie

[This message has been edited by Nygie (edited 31 October 1999).]

Back