Clicking by the rear sprocket

OP, may I ask what you used to clean the chain? Possible that O-rings may have dried out and chain now has kinks?

Good point/question...would the noise be directional specific only, if the o-rings were damaged?

Vortex are JUNK! Read other forums to where members had bad luck with teeth breaking off them.
Unless your Bill Warren or Ryan Shnitz trying to break world records by .001 of a second or .10 MPH gain and have the money to replace them way before a steel sprocket then these are for you!

Just couldnt read anymore about "Tuf Says"
Now back to our regular program.

Oh Please :please: spare me the lecture!

I'm proud to see a man with such credibility among my critics.

And by the way "Tuf Says" your credibility could use some improvement on this board. :laugh:

TB, opinions are based on experience, and yours is vastly different from mine. The way you reacted, I could see you were a big fan and
probably own stock in the company. I probably should have said, IMO, they are not as good as steel. I base that on close to 40 years
of being in the service/retail motorcycle business. The last thing I want to do is sell a customer something I feel to be inferior, and
if they insist on buying that item anyway, tell them why. And my answer is always based on MY experiences with that product.
And although the Vortex aluminum rear sprockets are on many road race bikes on the east coast as well, based on what I have seen in my time
in this industry, I wouldn't recommend one for a 110 hp 600cc bike. They just don't hold up as well as steel. You and I have different
opinions on this one, and I respect yours . . . based on YOUR experience.

Please lets not jack this thread over this . . . the op still has to find his problem.:laugh:

If you would have put it in those terms, you would never have heard a peep out of me. I may have even "Like" your post. It was the trashing (Vortex sprockets are notorious pieces of garbage) of a quality product made by a quality American company with tens of thousands of happy customers world wide (Me among them) that made me question your credibility.

You are correct that street bikes are much better served with steel sprockets since steel lasts for the life of the chain, aluminum (Even the hardened ones) don't. I run aluminum because they are easy on chains and we buy them by the dozen direct from Vortex and most likely get a better price than you. If I paid retail, I'd run steel on my street bikes as well.

No harm done! :beerchug:

Hey Yank "Tuf Says" I know you'll read this post. I've become such a burr under your saddle that you read every word of every post diligently searching for a crack in the armor! Good Luck! :cheerleader:

If you would have put it in those terms, you would never have heard a peep out of me. I may have even "Like" your post. It was the trashing (Vortex sprockets are notorious pieces of garbage) of a quality product made by a quality American company with tens of thousands of happy customers world wide (Me among them) that made me question your credibility.

You are correct that street bikes are much better served with steel sprockets since steel lasts for the life of the chain, aluminum (Even the hardened ones) don't. I run aluminum because they are easy on chains and we buy them by the dozen direct from Vortex and most likely get a better price than you. If I paid retail, I'd run steel on my street bikes as well.

No harm done! :beerchug:

Hey Yank "Tuf Says" I know you'll read this post. I've become such a burr under your saddle that you read every word of every post diligently searching for a crack in the armor! Good Luck! :cheerleader:

Hey Tuf, POWERHOUSE is direct with Vortex as well, we do not pay retail for them, and we do buy them for certain applications. As you probably well know, chains and sprockets are among the most-ignored maintenance items by regular customers, and with that in mind, they are better served by steel rear sprockets, which are typically half the retail price of aluminum. Again, IMO. And I do agree with you that Vortex is a good company with good service and wide ranging applications. I would not, however, believe for one second that a Vortex sprocket would last more than a few days on some of the monster turbo bikes we build. With that said, no harm no foul!:beerchug:

ok, it just got alittle more weird. I jacked it up to spin the wheel backwards off the ground. No tick. I can't do it at the moment but tomrw, I will take a quick video of it and post it.

Post up a close up picture of your rear sprocket. Clicking when you back up sounds like the teeth are hooked. Not saying that aluminum is garbage, it simply wears faster than steel. I will say "I think EK chains are garbage" though. But that's only my personal experience with every EK chain I've had stretching like a rubber band :laugh:

Eh, the chain is pretty stable, imo. It was between DID or EK. I chose EK:muscle:

Apparently, you just didn't understand what you were buying when you purchased a Vortex Sprocket and were under the assumption that aluminum had the same ware characteristics as your JT steel sprocket from Taiwan. Next time ask before you purchase and Vortex will be happy to educate you on the difference between steel and aluminum. If you can't afford to replace your aluminum sprocket every 12-15K miles, don't buy it! :dunno:

Maybe if you baby your bike but between hard street riding and trips to the dragstrip I started shredding teeth at about 4gs. Not worth if for a street bike. Junk

Aluminum Vortex sprockets are junk for street riders! Maybe you like them because they come in so many purty colors, or maybe its the fancy cuts in them. Just as a child which his/her choice is what catches his eye.
a burr under my saddle?:rofl: More like a mosquito which you are easily swatted away. Your armor is your spare time with creative words which is stronger then mine. Once in awhile I will take the time to swat at the mosquito out of entertainment and to convince myself I am quicker and stronger then the old pesty insect.
Good luck with them purty weak sprockets.

Have you checked the stretch on your chain (meaning measuring the predetermined amount of pins compared to distance) Take some pictures of the teeth on your sprockets.
Haved you aligned your rear wheel by the center of your main swingarm shaft?

ya that didnt work.

I cant really get a good pic of the top without taking the chain guard off. plus the left canister is in the way :laugh:

A friend of mine is coming by tomrw. I will have him take a short video and I'll see if I can't figure out how to post it.

It looks like your sprocket is worn, can see side teeth on the actual teeth, it would explain that it's snagging the chain rollers.

Back