Cleaning question around front sprocket

Schirm94M

Registered
I have never owned a motorcycle that did not have a drive shaft, so I have a couple questions. I am getting ready to swap out the sprockets and chain and noticed a buildup of sludge around the area of the front sprocket. Is there a recommended way of cleaning this? And how often do you guys go in there and clean?

The search feature is a good friend to have...this thread is pretty recent.

The search feature is a good friend to have...this thread is pretty recent.

I agree and have been using the search quite a lot. I'm not sure why the thread you linked didn't come up. All I was getting was how to clean a chain which is not what I was wanting.

I agree and have been using the search quite a lot. I'm not sure why the thread you linked didn't come up. All I was getting was how to clean a chain which is not what I was wanting.
It can be tricky...I use the content search more often these days...

Hopefully the link I posted helps out...

Another dumb question. I have been reading the posts about how to clean and lub the chain, and I see they are like the oil posts over on the Gold Wing forum. Do you guys clean and lube the chain while it's on the bike or take it off?

Another dumb question. I have been reading the posts about how to clean and lub the chain, and I see they are like the oil posts over on the Gold Wing forum. Do you guys clean and lube the chain while it's on the bike or take it off?
On the bike is less work
Do you have a rear stand?
Use kerosene for cleaning
Personally I do not use a wax spray but 80w oil for lube

On the bike every 500 miles or so. On a track stand while in gear idling or a tad higher, shake the can vigorously and spray each side of the rollers as the chain rotates. Takes two minutes. Wipe the excess from the side plates. On tour I use a Quick Stand.

Back