"chicken strips"

Zoinks!

Registered
So I've heard people talking about chicken strips in relation to their tires, and I'm wondering what they're talking about. I'm thinkin it's 1 of 2 things, either the strip down the middle of the tires that lots of times wears faster than the outside edges, or the very torn up edges that result from a lot of hard cornering. Either one correct? If not, what is the true deffinition?

edges where they have not touched the road from cornering yet.

Chicken strips are the unused sides of the tread pattern that only get scuffed if you really lean over. A lot of riders (including me) don't push their tires to the edge of traction on the street so it's a measure of how hard you corner. The difference in chicken strip width is considerable between by baby on the street and the race machine.

Chicken strips are the unused sides of the tread pattern that only get scuffed if you really lean over. A lot of riders (including me) don't push their tires to the edge of traction on the street so it's a measure of how hard you corner. The difference in chicken strip width is considerable between by baby on the street and the race machine.

What he said!

"Chicken strips" is a term used by a rider to try and prove they are a REAL rider. Just go and ride your own race and dont worry about braggarts.

"Chicken strips" is a term used by a rider to try and prove they are a REAL rider. Just go and ride your own race and dont worry about braggarts.
so true... I have seen guys stay off the sidewalls and the guy right behind him has them scuffed over the edges from poor riding technique..

lap times will tell you if you are fast and/or good :) (note LAP times do not happen on the street) keep the bike as upright as possible and make the corner.. more upright means more tire patch, means more margin for error..

Last edited:

You tell em Gunny! Chicken strips on street bikes is a sign of an intelligent rider IMO. On race bikes there should be no 'chicken' strips. Check out the lack of strips on 'Elbowz' last year's Suzy, and that's the front tire!!! That boy can ride but I'll bet if he rode on the street his tires wouldn't look like that! BTW, those are qualifying tires but still, threads showing on the very edge??? Not bad...for a race bike!

IMG023Small-1.jpg

Last edited:
This is an interesting phenomenon.

You know how when dogs meet up they go 'round the back, sniffin'?

Well, it's kinda like that at Bike Night. Everyone immediately goes around back looking at the size of the strips.

:rofl:

It's quite an amazing study in humanity. :laugh:

I'm not worried about bragging rights. I was just curious cause I have the picture below as my background pic on my comp. and I wasn't 100% sure what that term meant. Now it makes sense!

biker.jpg

This is an interesting phenomenon.

You know how when dogs meet up they go 'round the back, sniffin'?

Well, it's kinda like that at Bike Night. Everyone immediately goes around back looking at the size of the strips.

:rofl:

It's quite an amazing study in humanity. :laugh:
funny you can usually tell more by the center strip :)

So I've heard people talking about chicken strips in relation to their tires, and I'm wondering what they're talking about. I'm thinkin it's 1 of 2 things, either the strip down the middle of the tires that lots of times wears faster than the outside edges, or the very torn up edges that result from a lot of hard cornering. Either one correct? If not, what is the true deffinition?

I offer up Exhibit A

ChickenStrips_sm.jpg

ChickenStrips_sm.jpg

so true... I have seen guys stay off the sidewalls and the guy right behind him has them scuffed over the edges from poor riding technique..

lap times will tell you if you are fast and/or good :) (note LAP times do not happen on the street) keep the bike as upright as possible and make the corner.. more upright means more tire patch, means more margin for error..

Kevin has chicken strips. Learned alot from him at the bash about how meaningless chicken strips really are

bikepix032Small.jpg

Comparing chicken strips feels too much like telling "biggest fish" stories, or who had the most gals in high school when we all know it was mostly just a gal named Rosie...how long, ummm, never mind, you get the point...

I've got nothing to prove...just that I get back home alive :thumbsup:

Omar, for you :moon:

Back