Changed My Chain Lube - Results and Opinion

Mikey, remove your chain and soak it in a bucket of 90w.

Now that is properly lubing your chain! :rofl:

:poke:

:laugh:

Mikey, remove your chain and soak it in a bucket of 90w.

Now that is properly lubing your chain! :rofl:

:poke:

:laugh:

Don't laugh, I lubed my other chains with 90W.
Warmed it up in the microwave first so it was nice and thin, sprayed it on with a pump sprayer, and wiped it of.
Worked real well.
I looked at those auto chain oilers and they use oil, I'm not sure what weight but they looked like a good idea except I have chrome rims and that would leave a mess.
In the old dirt bike days with the circlip master links we would take our chains off, clean them in kerosene, and then put them in a tub of grease that we had liquified on top of the stove.
Let it re-harden and then take the chain out.
Every link had grease inside (no O Rings on those chains) so I have come a long way from my 90W days! :laugh:

+1 great product!

I used it for a while too and found it filled my front sproket area with itself.
It works good and stays nice and thick, but again has no wash off abilities, just goes on overtop of whatever is on/in the chain.
One thing is it really stinks!
I put some on an execrcise bike in the house and WOW - mistake.

I used it for a while too and found it filled my front sproket area with itself.
It works good and stays nice and thick, but again has no wash off abilities, just goes on overtop of whatever is on/in the chain.

I hear ya brother. That's why I WD 40 and rag it when it's hot and then wax it.
Might just have to look for a can of ( 90W :laugh: ) the DuPont stuff :whistle:

I know someone on here who doesnt take care of their chain and he even drag races and leaves it outside....last time i cleaned it for him the chain looked like it was actually black in color..and after i cleaned it, it was gold...now everyone on here pm him and tell him to lube and clean his chain....btw it is.busaboy007 :whistle:

Last edited:

your right about the gunk on front sprocket, but as long as it sticks and doesn't sling like a few chain lubes i have tried, then i am content with that. i clean mine off w/ kerosene, dry, then re-spray with maxima. she's good as new! :thumbsup:

I have been using Bel Ray Superclean lube and found it very good.
It went on medium thick and thickened up nicely and left a lot of lubricating material on the chain.
After a few hundred miles it was still visibly present and doing it’s job.
It did attract some dirt and had a little fling off but was the best I have used.
When putting it on, it tended to just go on over whatever dirt etc. was on the chain, and had no washing off ability, so just before using it, I used a paper towel on the warm chain to get off all the previous left over lube.

Over the last 1000 miles I have been testing a new chain lube.
It is Dupont Teflon Multi Use Dry Wax Lubricant.

DuPont? Teflon? Dry-Film Lubricants

It's clear and non-sticky, so it doesn't attract dirt and grit; and it quickly dries to a waxy finish, and has Teflon and Molybdenum, two excellent lubricants.
It goes on with the consistency of WD40, so has excellent wash off quality which the Bel Ray does not.
It dissolved a lot of the old Bel Ray on the first application and when holding a paper towel underneath when spraying, it takes off all old dust and dirt off the chain – A feature I really like.
It then dries to a thin waxy finish and has no fling off whatsoever.

Webbike world has an article and video about the stuff here, and gives it 2 thumbs up:

DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

I am sold on this stuff.
It is 1/3 the price of the Bel Ray, available at most hardware stores, does an excellent job, and I feel keeps the chain cleaner.
Now if I was going on a very long ride and could not lube my chain for a long while, I would give it a shot of Bel Ray, as I like the fact it stays on thicker for a long time.
However, I lube my chain after every ride and the Dupont is more than thick enough to do it’s job, and shortens the application time with it's excellent wash off abilities.

Got a can this morning at Lowe's. $5 They do not have "Chain Saver" but had the other. Chain Saver may be too new a product or Lowe's has no demand for it.
I will give it a try, looks like a great tip, Thanks!

The key to the whole chain lube debate is this...... PUT SOME LUBE ON..... non of them are any good if you don't use them. I have seen many cases of chain abuse, red oxidized chains that are kinked in places because the owner thought it was lubed from the factory and it should last the life of the bike.............:banghead:
Cap and I both had small cans on the trip, emptied one of them and 1/2 on the other. (we also lubed some other org member's chains at Reno) Look into a "quick stand" not expensive, makes lubing the chain and rear tire inspection/cleaning a snap.
It is a post ride ritual getting ready for the next day ride or after riding through the rain. Chain lube is cheap compared to a chain and sprockets. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Quick question - has anyone tried the chain saver? It sounds really attractive - i.e. self cleaning. Would be really nice if I didn't have to clean the chain before lubing it.

dupontchainsaver14oz.jpg

One question, someone in here (don't remember who, I just read all the posts) said they contacted a company and asked about a teflon lube and they said that it wouldn't be good for the o-ring chain, but recommended this dupont product. Was there any indication of why one teflon product wasn't ok but the other teflon product was? Was there something else in the one that made it a problem for o-ring chains?

One question, someone in here (don't remember who, I just read all the posts) said they contacted a company and asked about a teflon lube and they said that it wouldn't be good for the o-ring chain, but recommended this dupont product. Was there any indication of why one teflon product wasn't ok but the other teflon product was? Was there something else in the one that made it a problem for o-ring chains?

That was me. The product was Tri-Flo.
The solvent that carries the teflon has a chemical that is not compatible with the O rings. It does have a good cleaning action when applied, and then it evaporates and leaves the teflon. It worked great on non O ring chain; no sling off and it did not attract dirt.

If this wasn't a DuPont product I would be concerned.
They are big enough and good enough to stand behind their claim "it is O Ring safe"
Others may not be but I am convinced this is OK.

I have been using Silkoleen Pro Lube for a while. It does a good job at lubrication. It also does a good job allowing dirt to stick. If you put it on too think it will splatter on the rear wheel. You must use it very sparingly.

I might have to give that a try next.

I used Silkoleen Pro Lube & have had great luck with it .:thumbsup:

Back