Central FL Issue...Letter sent to congressman

SmiLyPR4U

Registered
I usually do not get too involved in political nor racism issues...but being 100% Puertorrican/American, this teacher boiled my patience to the limit! I can not believe someone who is supposed to be teaching our children for a better future can make such hateful statements like this! Let me know what you all think...I'll be giving my opinion later.

WESH.com
Text Of Controversial Letter

POSTED: 12:06 pm EDT August 24, 2005
UPDATED: 12:20 pm EDT August 24, 2005

Note: This letter was released by the Orange County School Board. The district noted that this is a copy of the letter allegedly written by teacher Jan P. Hall. Hall has not formally acknowledged writing this exact letter because it has not been shown to her yet by her attorney, the district said. However, Hall has told school officials that the handwriting in the letter copied in the newspaper El Nuevo Dia looked like her handwriting and she admitted she wrote a letter of this "nature" to an unidentified congressman.

Dear Honorable Congressman,

Please consider my views when you are voting and representing voters.

I believe we must close the doors to all foreigners for awhile (sic) until we get this economy and the schools back on their feet. As a classroom teacher in Florida for 28 years, I know that foreigners are the largest users of our taxpayers' money. Foreigners are taking all of the jobs that poor and little-educated Americans could have. Many people are being paid under the table, and therefore they are not paying their fair share of taxes. Schools are dealing with too many problems with language differences, and time is lost to our American children who have parents who pay taxes. I'm seeing money going to local charities going to Mexican, Haitian, and Mid-Eastern immigrants instead of to the poorer people of American descent.

Our school at Sadler Elementary where I teach is 92% Puerto Rican. Please consider changing the laws and keeping these people home in Puerto Rico. They are trashing Orlando daily.

These P.R. children are holding American children back academically, and Puerto Rican teachers can keep getting extensions on their temporary certificates so that they are allowed to teach without proper training. I can truthfully say that Puerto Rican teachers at my school ask me continually for help with math, as they do not get but the equivalent of a fifth grade education in Puerto Rico. They almost always can do no algebra and rely on the system to get by.

I find that Haitian children are more aggressive in the classroom and have not been to school regularly. Their poor conduct is yet another real problem.

In Winter Haven, FL, a large orange grove area with Mexican migrants to do the work, jobs that poor blacks and poor whites used to take are filled by Mexicans, who I am told bring in drugs and disease, such as incurable TB, for the most part.

I know that the solution is difficult, but other countries protect their borders and do not allow foreigners to take citizens' jobs. Please do not allow criminals to stay, as they are filling the jobs in FL.

It's time to get our troops home!

Very truly,
Jan P. Hall
Copyright 2005 by WESH.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I don't know enough about that area to decide if her facts are accurate or not. What concerns me more is that a letter sent to a Congressman in confidence is getting passed around on the internet like the common cold. If her numbers are accurate then she is only telling the truth. I don't know her circumstances, although her statements are obviously painful to many people, I wouldn't label them as hateful. She merely put into writing what thousands of Americans are stating everday. In my area it is children from Middle eastern and Mexican descent, although it's not the childrens faults. The fact that the population in the area is exploding at a phenomenal rate. I cant help to question that the school enrolment is increasing astronomically, the schools are overcrowded and under funded, my property taxes went up $800 this year from a school levy that most of their parents will never have to pay because they don't own property. So how can I address this? WRITE MY CONGRESSMAN!!! And hope and pray it doesnt find the internet. So what would the solution be to slow down population increases that deplenish already thinned out resources and dont contribute to tax funding? I dont have the answers, dont want to take sides but we always hear WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN if you don't like it. YEAH RIGHT!!
laugh.gif

+1
biggrin.gif
sometimes the truth does hurt.....the illegal immigrants in this country are costing us the American people way to much....it effects us all....Im not prejudice in no means or hold any racial barriers as well sister...but the reality is there is a major problem going on in this country and WE the people are paying too much for it....blessed are the children for there's is the kingdom of God..its not there fault its just a sad situation.....on a personal note If I lived in another country that allowed me to come here and I could gain all the benefits I would do it in a heartbeat too, meaning if this country would crack down on ILLEGAL immigrants it wouldn't be so attractive to come here....Use to be Illegal meant just that you was fined or imprisoned ...now its just a phrase.
One case scenrio I will share with you I live in Tennessee we have a health program here called TennCare, its for those whom are not able to health care, this was given to the people of our state kinda like welfare. Our governor cut the TennCare program almost a half a million dollars this year meaning alot of people that depended on it now no longer have it, including dental....prescription drugs, or health insurance regardless of there state of health example my grandmother 3/4 Cherokee Indian native of this country is 87 years old, she got cut completely off the TennCare program, she has an income of less then 1200.00 a month her prescriptions are almost 700.00 a month. Its either quit taking the meds or quit eating literally. Yet our Governor in his cut back TennCare program allows all ILLEGAL immigrants to have all the benefits up to 2 years once they enroll. This was just signed last week. That includes all of there familys to have free medical, dental, hospitalization, and prescription drugs and is costing the Tennessee tax payer almost 285,000 dollars per year...Now is that Fair....this is just apart of what I see happening all over America. I understand where your coming from sister but can you see mine as well?
sad.gif

i have to say the teach has a point, its not the ppl who are the problem, how easy it is to become a citizen. remember when it was manditory for a new imigrant to be able to read a write english before they were accepted as american citizens. some ppl lear how to abuse our system really quick, not realizing that they are meesing over the ppl who alowed them to enter the us. its hard for a citizen to get the job when a contractor can get 3 ppl for the price of one. it also pizzes me off when we send out so much food money to other countries when we have a hughe problem in the us, i believe we dont need to be helping others until we help our own. some of those homeless are the same ppl who fought for freedom. helpa vet out before you send money to a family who dosnt any better than to live in the desert where there isnt any food.

If that poorly written letter actually came from a teacher, then I weep for the future.

I have the same problem here in South Texas. We are being overrun with illegals. Yet the system supports them with no questions asked. When my son and daughter went to school here they were always being held up or slowed down by these minority students. Yet when my kids graduated at the top of their classes and the minority students were socially promoted my kids received no help for college. The minoritys and the under privilaged received all the scholarship money. The meret students like my kids were told the money was used up already. So the minority students were rewarded for being lazy and not making an effort. However, my daughter now has a Masters from Texas A&M and my son is a second year Medical student at A&M. All paid for by me.

David
evil.gif
argue.gif
cussing.gif

I don't know enough about that area to decide if her facts are accurate or not.  What concerns me more is that a letter sent to a Congressman in confidence is getting passed around on the internet like the common cold.  If her numbers are accurate then she is only telling the truth.  I don't know her circumstances, although her statements are obviously painful to many people, I wouldn't label them as hateful.  She merely put into writing what thousands of Americans are stating everday.  In my area it is children from Middle eastern and Mexican descent, although it's not the childrens faults.  The fact that the population in the area is exploding at a phenomenal rate. I cant help to question that the school enrolment is increasing astronomically, the schools are overcrowded and under funded, my property taxes went up $800 this year from a school levy that most of their parents will never have to pay because they don't own property.  So how can I address this?  WRITE MY CONGRESSMAN!!! And hope and pray it doesnt find the internet.  So what would the solution be to slow down population increases that deplenish already thinned out resources and dont contribute to tax funding?  I dont have the answers, dont want to take sides but we always hear WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN if you don't like it.  YEAH RIGHT!!
laugh.gif
I understand everyone has the right to express themselves, although teachers do sign some paperwork regarding more strict rules of behavior and other matters due to being an "example" to students.

With that said...I truly believe those are hateful words and VERY painful. Maybe if she would have phrased it differently and generalized more, it wouldn't have caused such a riot as it has; but by being so specific and without any base/facts to her words she has been plainly ignorant to me.

I would truly believe you would find less insult on a statement made about Americans, than one made about YOU in particular. That's how we feel.

And the fact of schools being overcrowded is not solely our (hispanics in general's) fault, since we are not the only ones reproducing in this country.

+1
biggrin.gif
 sometimes the truth does hurt.....the illegal immigrants in this country are costing us the American people way to much....it effects us all....Im not prejudice in no means or hold any racial barriers as well sister...but the reality is there is a major problem going on in this country and WE the people are paying too much for it....blessed are the children for there's is the kingdom of God..its not there fault its just a sad situation.....on a personal note If I lived in another country that allowed me to come here and I could gain all the benefits I would do it in a heartbeat too, meaning if this country would crack down on ILLEGAL immigrants it wouldn't be so attractive to come here....Use to be Illegal meant just that you was fined or imprisoned ...now its just a phrase.
  One case scenrio I will share with you I live in Tennessee we have a health program here called TennCare, its for those whom are not able to health care, this was given to the people of our state kinda like welfare.  Our governor cut the TennCare program almost a half a million dollars this year meaning alot of people that depended on it now no longer have it, including dental....prescription drugs, or health insurance regardless of there state of health example my grandmother 3/4 Cherokee Indian native of this country is 87 years old, she got cut completely off the TennCare program, she has an income of less then 1200.00 a month her prescriptions are almost 700.00 a month. Its either quit taking the meds or quit eating literally. Yet our Governor in his cut back TennCare program allows all ILLEGAL immigrants to have all the benefits up to 2 years once they enroll. This was just signed last week. That includes all of there familys to have free medical, dental, hospitalization, and prescription drugs and is costing the Tennessee tax payer almost 285,000 dollars per year...Now is that Fair....this is just apart of what I see happening all over America.  I understand where your coming from sister but can you see mine as well?  
sad.gif
I do understand where you are coming from and I am sorry all this is happening and I definately do not agree with it, as legal residents should come first.

Then again, as you said, people come here to better themselves. I do believe people should be given the opportunity, especially in the so messed up world we are living in, of making a better living and eventually a better future for their children...which is basically what most of them are trying to do and why they work they butts off everyday, usually more than others. I truly understand and believe that if they make the decision of coming here to better themselves, it should start by learning the language, no doubt about that. Then again, in order to learn one needs to practice and ask questions along the way...and that goes for everyone, not just hispanics.

i have to say the teach has a point, its not the ppl who are the problem, how easy it is to become a citizen. remember when it was manditory for a new imigrant to be able to read a write english before they were accepted as american citizens. some ppl lear how to abuse our system really quick, not realizing that they are meesing over the ppl who alowed them to enter the us. its hard  for a citizen to get the job when a contractor can get 3 ppl for the price of one. it also pizzes me off when we send out so much food money  to other countries when we have a hughe problem in the us, i believe we dont need to be helping others until we help our own. some of those homeless are the same ppl who fought for freedom. helpa vet out before you send money to a family who dosnt any better than to live in the desert where there isnt any food.
I definately agree with you, they should be able to read and write English before becoming a citizen...at least a minimum of comprehending and reading it. I also agree with you in focusing more on the problems here than other countries.

FYI...

P.R. is part of the US, therefore, we ARE NOT ILLEGAL RESIDENTS. We are very blessed for having all the benefits as Americans do. We can come to US, as well as US citizens can go to PR without a problem.

Every single school in PR, starting from pre-school up to Senior year, has a mandatory English course. Half or more of the textbooks used are written in English. There are some schools in which the language for everything taught is English. When it comes to Universities, all their textbooks are in English and many of their teachers ONLY speak English.

I moved here on July 17, 1996...I was 16 years old. I was always an A student, who didn't really studied. When I got to the High School here I was starting my Junior year. I was ahead by at least a year. I didn't want to take any ESOL classes, so I took the school curriculum, did my own schedule and showed it to the counselor when it came time to assign classes. The assesment test scores in order to determine the need for the ESOL program came back a month or more after school started. Even with the depression and stress I was going through, I passed all my classes with As and finished at the top grades for each one. I took the HSCT, finished both parts in an hour and passed it the first time.

I believe something that really helped me do this is the setup of the school system in PR. Up to this day, I don't understand the school's system setup...at least here in Florida. Let me explain myself:

Florida - (can only speak for HS as it was the only school I attended being a teen) Students are all mixed...meaning you can have students from 9, 10, 11 and 12 grade in one same classroom. I don't think the mentality of a 9th and 12th grader should be mixed. What about their development as a human being? I believe this is part of the reason why kids these days skip phases in their life and more often younger kids are following/doing more adult type of things/mistakes/errors, etc.
Also kids are free to choose whichever class they want to take. I am in favor of having a space on their schedules to fit an elective class of their choice, but not choosing all of their classes. Many students get to their Senior year and do not graduate because they did not complete the required courses/credits.

PR - Every since pre-k: All grades are divided...meaning you always will be studying with kids in your age range. This is true unless a few exceptions. Each grade is divided into level 1 or 2. Level 1 is for more advanced and 2 is ones that need a little more explanation and time on subjects.
Also there is not flexibility of choosing whatever class they want, it's a set program. The program might vary slightly from school to school (ex. I went to a catholic private school, so we also had a religion class), but for the most part it is formed of one class for each category (Spanish, English, History, Math, Science, etc.). Classes depend on the grade (ex. for Math: 7th - Pre-Algebra, 8th - Algebra, 9th - Geometry, 10 - Algebra 2 with Trig, 11th - Calculus, 12th - Calculus 2).

Just an insight so some can relate better.

I just think if you can get here legally, more power to you if you can SPEAK ENGLISH! I've worked in stores where a mexican would walk in and get pissed off because I don't understand them. And the kicker is they would act as if it were my fault.
mad.gif
I'm not too keen on Illegals, but like I said, if you're legal, more power to ya.

seems like she's just stating her opinion (or possibly facts.. I dunno) I'm sure she will lose her job over it though.. one would think that she could state her opinion good or bad without being drug over the coals for it.

I don't think that that letter should have been put on the internet but every little thing is on here now days. As a teacher she has an obligations to teach the children in her class to the best of her ability. As an American she has the right to her own opinion and she is using that right. Yes, it maybe painful but I do not think that she is directing it to anyone who is a citizen of our great Counrty. She is talking about the ever rising number of people who come to this country ILLEGALLY. The people hear illegally are getting the same rights, if not more, that the citizens of our cuntry. I have to agree with her to a point. The citizens of the country are being cheated because of the illegal people here. If you are a citizen of this country, no matter what your ethnic background, then every penny that is available should be able to be obtained by you. That is not the way that it is and I think that is her point. I understand what you are upset about but, she isn't talking about teaching the children any differently. It just makes it harder for her.

i think a republican stole her private letter and let it go public so the system would can her-just an opinion-

All letters are usually written to address concerns and also written with the intended audience in mind.

Her intended audience was one person, a congressman.

I am sure if the intended audience was the general public she would have maybe chosen the way she conveyed her concerns a little more carefully.

And unless any of us work in her school or in her district I don’t think we stand in place of judgment one way or another.

Just sad that what would be considered a private letter has been made into a political weapon.

i think a republican stole her private letter and let it go public so the system would can her-just an opinion-
Wow... That is probably the DUMBEST thing I have read in a while! I sincerely hope that was an ill fated attempt at humor and not a display of your actual cerebral output!

To the point at hand. I believe that the teacher is rather opinionated against the Ricans because that is the Nationality that is affecting her. I know people from all races and you have to admit that the Ricans have the most heart and are the most flamboyant and head strong amongst all the hispanic ethnicities. If you have a few natural leaders that happen to be rebellious you have a group that causes mayhem which is apparently what she is facing. I got news for all of ya. This is in EVERY PUBLIC school Nation Wide. Her Disruptors happen to be PR. The ones in my school were bratty rich white kids. The ones in my brothers school were black. This is nothing new for the past 10 - 15 years. The problem isn't the kids or their nationalities. It the Lazy ass parents that let TV raise their kids and the minorities that have cried and whined enough to tie the hands of the educators that do not allow them to enforce the rules. Those of us over 32 years of age... think back to grade school. What happened when your mom or dad got the note that you got paddled for throwing a dead frog at little Susie?!? Exactly ... you couldn't sit down for two days! Now what happens. The teachers tell little Johnny, "No"

Yeah, kinda seems stupid huh. Ewww ... Johnny got told, "No" guess I'd better behave or else I might get told "No" too! When the parents get told little Johnny was a P I T A at school...

You got it. Another "No"

There's a Very Old Book written by several different people LOOOOOOOng ago that gave very insightful parenting tips. Of course that book has been banned from schools so good luck finding it in the Library! It simply stated, " Spare the rod and spoil the child" The "Rod" refers to discipline.
Nuff Said.

Smily... Sorry your feelings got hurt. All I can tell is that I am confident she was not referring to your family. Short of that, there is really no reason to be offended. Since you directly are not included in her scorn or referenced individuals there is no reason for you to take it personal. Your nationality does not dictate you or who you are. Therefore her generalizations about those of your ethnicity do not reflect upon you personally.
She has some valid points and she has some misguided assumptions. She is on the right track with closing our borders though. She ,however, is very misguided in thinking that the blacks or Whites will pick Veggies from the fields! I know THAT won't happen! I say God Bless the Mexicans! If it weren't for them we wouldn't eat! BUT Make them enter legally with a valid Visa, Pay taxes like the rest of us and learn to read write and speak the language! If I moved to Mexico I'd either learn the language or starve. What makes them special enough to not have to do the same?

Fire away

it maybe painful but I do not think that she is directing it to anyone who is a citizen of our great Counrty.
That's what I was thinking until I reached this part she wrote

(Our school at Sadler Elementary where I teach is 92% Puerto Rican. Please consider changing the laws and keeping these people home in Puerto Rico. They are trashing Orlando daily.)

Puerto Ricans are US citizens. Hey but that's her opinion.

For the record I started out teaching secondary education after grad school....If I was to say anything I would doubt seriously if she expressed these feelings towards any student, if she did I say put her up against the wall and swing the paddle....lol <kidding> a formal apology and probation would be in order. For her sharing her personal thoughts and opinions to a Congressman in a letter per say she has that right...and its nobody's business, and for this to get out shows a serious problem in our system. And furthermore I would say there has been alot more teachers express themselves to legislators and Congressman then just her, they just didn't get the attention...
smile.gif

Back