Caps June Hallett thread

yes. the 10th and the 11th are motorcycle lapping days. If it is your first time to Hallett and don't have a race license they require you to take their HART class.

yep, HART is Hallett Advanced Rider Training. You will be in the HART/Novice class your first day.

sweet. I plan on taking the BMW. :super:, if its good enough for the california superbike school to learn on, its good enough for me.

I pulled this off of swmosportbikes.com, we have a slowninja bashing thread going there. :laugh:

slowninja_slide.jpg

_DSC7249.jpg

glad to see you all had a great time, wish i could have been there but i haven't figured out the being in two places at once thing yet :laugh: congrats on getting your knee down Cap :beerchug:

Congrats Cap on that knee down business! :beerchug:

It's always a big step when you reach the knee down thing. Dragging a knee becomes an obsession and you begin to buy pucks by the case!

Good Jog Dude! :cheerleader:

glad to see you all had a great time, wish i could have been there but i haven't figured out the being in two places at once thing yet :laugh: congrats on getting your knee down Cap :beerchug:

Thanks my friend, I sure wanted to accomplish that as it has been on my bucket list for 10 years. Okay so that's done I can sell the bike, gear and org and move to the next item on my list. It took 10 years for this one, anyone know the expected time to become a Ninja?

www.ninjacaptain.com is where you can find me :)

I can't wait to see the upgrades/mods !!

Hey Cap, did you ever think this forum would turn out to be the way it is, and to SO MANY PEOPLE ? I remember the first time riding with a group from here, and by the 3'rd or 4'th time getting together truly considering them friends. I've known people for half my life that don't look out for one another the way people from here do ??

I need to get to a track day, that looks like so much fun !! :bowdown:

I didn't think that I was going all that fast, so I didn't get off the bike as much as I should have. When I realized that I was going in hotter than expected I didn't have time to readjust my body. So I just had to lean it more and hope it holds....It didn't obviously. That plus the cold tires didn't help any. Lesson learned! I'd rather make my mistakes on the track rather than on the street!:down:

Sorry about your getoff! A crash is never welcomed but can be a good learning tool for future reference.

Looking at your photos it was a series of mistakes, not just one that got you into trouble. It appears from the looks of the front tire you were on touring tires? Maybe Avon Storms? If so, mistake number one.

Looks as if your butt was off the seat but you were counter leaning with your upper body. This increases the lean angle of the bike for a given speed without tightening up the turn radius. Mistake number two.

From the looks of your front fender/nose cowling the forks were compressed. Since your fingers were not over the brake lever, it tells me you had the throttle completely closed. Mistake number three

As soon as you felt the front tire loose traction, give the beast a little throttle to unload the front tire by transferring some of the weight to the rear where there is a much bigger contact patch. Doesn't take much, maybe an eight of an inch of throttle if you are at neutral throttle, more if the throttle is closed.

Bikes HATE coasting while leaned over. A closed throttle is by far the most common cause of corner crashes in both novice and intermediate groups.

There is no shame in crashing, most all of us do that nasty deed eventually. Use a crash as a learning tool and file it away in your skill folder for future reference!

I'm glad you aren't discouraged from track day fun with your buds. You may be well on your way to an addiction! :beerchug:

Sorry about your getoff! A crash is never welcomed but can be a good learning tool for future reference.

Looking at your photos it was a series of mistakes, not just one that got you into trouble. It appears from the looks of the front tire you were on touring tires? Maybe Avon Storms? If so, mistake number one.

Looks as if your butt was off the seat but you were counter leaning with your upper body. This increases the lean angle of the bike for a given speed without tightening up the turn radius. Mistake number two.

From the looks of your front fender/nose cowling the forks were compressed. Since your fingers were not over the brake lever, it tells me you had the throttle completely closed. Mistake number three

As soon as you felt the front tire loose traction, give the beast a little throttle to unload the front tire by transferring some of the weight to the rear where there is a much bigger contact patch. Doesn't take much, maybe an eight of an inch of throttle if you are at neutral throttle, more if the throttle is closed.

Bikes HATE coasting while leaned over. A closed throttle is by far the most common cause of corner crashes in both novice and intermediate groups.

There is no shame in crashing, most all of us do that nasty deed eventually. Use a crash as a learning tool and file it away in your skill folder for future reference!

I'm glad you aren't discouraged from track day fun with your buds. You may be well on your way to an addiction! :beerchug:
I think the back tire went before the front.

I didn't think that I was going all that fast, so I didn't get off the bike as much as I should have. When I realized that I was going in hotter than expected I didn't have time to readjust my body. So I just had to lean it more and hope it holds....It didn't obviously. That plus the cold tires didn't help any. Lesson learned! I'd rather make my mistakes on the track rather than on the street!:down:

Don't sweat it. Once the hard parts touch you are usually just along for the ride. You are not the first to put one down trying to improve your skills. Sometimes it happens. Good thing is, you were not hurt. Having the pictures to help sort out what happened helps a bunch as well. Keep you head up. I wish I could have been there as well.

I need to see if I can make one later in the year. Hopefully I can get my front springs swapped by then.

Don't sweat it. Once the hard parts touch you are usually just along for the ride. You are not the first to put one down trying to improve your skills. Sometimes it happens. Good thing is, you were not hurt. Having the pictures to help sort out what happened helps a bunch as well. Keep you head up. I wish I could have been there as well.

I need to see if I can make one later in the year. Hopefully I can get my front springs swapped by then.

Rick, you get the springs I will guarantee that I will come over and change them while your at work...

Rick, you get the springs I will guarantee that I will come over and change them while your at work...

I've got the springs and a spare set of forks. They will need to be revalved to match, and a new seals set at the same time. I just need to gather a few more parts.

NO, I'm not on touring tires. They are Perelli Diablo Rosso's, they are actually a pretty sticky tire, they just take longer to get warm. And the rear tire went first. I realize I wasn't off the bike properly, didn't realize I was going in that fast.

NO, I'm not on touring tires. They are Perelli Diablo Rosso's, they are actually a pretty sticky tire, they just take longer to get warm. And the rear tire went first. I realize I wasn't off the bike properly, didn't realize I was going in that fast.

Your Rosso's are a decent tire for track days, no doubt. I think you are correct about the rear tire skidding and stepping out. Was it throttle or brake that caused the rear to step out?

Last edited:
Back