Caps 2024 New Year Hopeful Outlook

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Hi folks, it has been a lot of years since I posted up a long message like this... I don't post a lot on the site right now but I read a lot and still do a lot of admin work so I like to think that I have a good pulse of how things are going. I am not a guy that likes to beat around the bush and hint about things most of you know that and I like to attack problems head on and deal with them when I see them however I have done a terrible job in a couple of areas over the past year and need to bring a few topics to group.

I've used the old saying "You are either part of the solution or part of the problem" for a long time and for the most part in most situations its an accurate statement.

The world is in a weird place right now where everyone thinks they are right on every topic and that is just not a possible outcome. There will always have to be some compromise, some grey area or ambiguity. I absolutely understand that members are passionate about topics and want to try to argue, prove the others wrong about a topic, be historically the most accurate or take the moral high ground but my question as always is at what cost are you willing to do this?

Is the discussion or argument on the forum that is not motorcycle related worth tearing apart the very foundation of who and what we are as a community? Is your desire to be right so great on a non-motorcycle related topic that you are willing to weaken relationships, cause members to not want to come back or are you willing to be one of those people who just don't know how to be a part of something bigger than yourself?

Sometimes you just have to know that you aren't going to change the mind of the other person on the conversation. You actually have more influence with hundreds and thousands of people when you gracefully bow out of a conversation.

My ask of you all this New Year of 2024 is simply this.... Go take a quick review of your post of 2023 and see what your highest posting topics were, if they were motorcycles, rides, gear, meeting people and life then fantastic that is exactly what Hayabusa.org was created for. If the majority of your post were politics, news events or just arguing your opinion then maybe you need to list out your topics and find another site that matches up with your passions. I'm not saying that we can't have a conversation about what is going on in the world for goodness sake but at some point you put your opinion out there in a conversation and step back, it takes two to have an argument and if you want a topic to go away then just ignore it and in a few days most likely if will fall off the list of new post.

We need to get back to a positive outlook, members caring for other members, sharing about rides, posting pics about what is going on and giving some great advice to those that share a common interest. . The members of this site need to look past the opinions of others and just treat other well and you would be surprised how well that goes over and the total attitude and demeanor on the site changes....

Happy New Year Everyone...

Cap

Hi folks, it has been a lot of years since I posted up a long message like this... I don't post a lot on the site right now but I read a lot and still do a lot of admin work so I like to think that I have a good pulse of how things are going. I am not a guy that likes to beat around the bush and hint about things most of you know that and I like to attack problems head on and deal with them when I see them however I have done a terrible job in a couple of areas over the past year and need to bring a few topics to group.

I've used the old saying "You are either part of the solution or part of the problem" for a long time and for the most part in most situations its an accurate statement.

The world is in a weird place right now where everyone thinks they are right on every topic and that is just not a possible outcome. There will always have to be some compromise, some grey area or ambiguity. I absolutely understand that members are passionate about topics and want to try to argue, prove the others wrong about a topic, be historically the most accurate or take the moral high ground but my question as always is at what cost are you willing to do this?

Is the discussion or argument on the forum that is not motorcycle related worth tearing apart the very foundation of who and what we are as a community? Is your desire to be right so great on a non-motorcycle related topic that you are willing to weaken relationships, cause members to not want to come back or are you willing to be one of those people who just don't know how to be a part of something bigger than yourself?

Sometimes you just have to know that you aren't going to change the mind of the other person on the conversation. You actually have more influence with hundreds and thousands of people when you gracefully bow out of a conversation.

My ask of you all this New Year of 2024 is simply this.... Go take a quick review of your post of 2023 and see what your highest posting topics were, if they were motorcycles, rides, gear, meeting people and life then fantastic that is exactly what Hayabusa.org was created for. If the majority of your post were politics, news events or just arguing your opinion then maybe you need to list out your topics and find another site that matches up with your passions. I'm not saying that we can't have a conversation about what is going on in the world for goodness sake but at some point you put your opinion out there in a conversation and step back, it takes two to have an argument and if you want a topic to go away then just ignore it and in a few days most likely if will fall off the list of new post.

We need to get back to a positive outlook, members caring for other members, sharing about rides, posting pics about what is going on and giving some great advice to those that share a common interest. . The members of this site need to look past the opinions of others and just treat other well and you would be surprised how well that goes over and the total attitude and demeanor on the site changes....

Cap
Well said and I agree!

I was a bit harsh about Chris Moore and left the site for a while due to personal reasons. Now that I’m back, I feel those angry comments weren’t my best self.

I’m here to connect with you guys and maybe meet some people in person in real life at an event.

Happy New Year!!

Probably helpful (me included) to re-read paragraph 4 of the Terms of Service that cautions against hateful abusive content.
In agreement with Caps sentiments I'd like to suggest that the admins re-word this to include a specific ban on personal attacks, or abusive language or speech against other members, just to make it clear.
I'm all for a vigorous spirited discussion but in the process let's maintain the dignity of the other person, even if opinions differ. And if discussions DO get out of hand then I'd expect the Admins to swoop down and cut it off pronto.

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct".

Probably helpful ( me included ) to re-read paragraph 4 of the Terms of Service that cautions against hateful abusive content .

:poke:

very helpful , hate to be mis understood & offend somebody *

encourage unlawful activity , or otherwise violate any laws .

:banana:

:race:
not easy abiding by every law , here in #SunSoakedCalifornia *
Black Mamba Motorcycle GIF by Moore Mafia

Cap

Cap
I agree. There are many sayings, proverbs in many languages which can say the same. Mind your own business and respect others.

I was first a bit surprised when I saw topics which are not even close to the bikes and this lifestyle. I guess this is fine and I respect that. However when someone would like to stay away to politics and actual media "priorities" it would be great if classic forums like this can be used for that like in the old days. In the past 30 years the Internet has changed, hidden agendas influenced almost every part of it. It would be great to preserve these hidden gems like this forum and as earlier, mainly focus on recreational/professional bike related purpose where we are not separated by viewpoints, religions, nations, but rather be bonded by that one topic which more or less reflect the same for all: joy, thrill, satisfaction which are even better when shared.

In practical terms if a "new post filter button" without politics can be introduced it would be great solution. I know as an IT professional myself it is not an easy to program, but anyway you got the idea.

@Cap - to build on self control is a very tall order in my opinion. Let us see. Thank you for trying.

I find it simply amazing that this site is surviving at all yet alone thriving....especially in the day and age of other social media sources...

I also believe if it was restricted to only discussing motorcycles it would struggle as the "off topic" section gets a lot of traffic.

For the most part people who use this section are respectful........those who don't want to see/view this content can choose to avoid it-that is a choice.

I am guilty of frequenting this section quite often....and make no apologies for this.

I find it simply amazing that this site is surviving at all yet alone thriving....especially in the day and age of other social media sources...

I also believe if it was restricted to only discussing motorcycles it would struggle as the "off topic" section gets a lot of traffic.

For the most part people who use this section are respectful........those who don't want to see/view this content can choose to avoid it-that is a choice.

I am guilty of frequenting this section quite often....and make no apologies for this.
I am with you. That is how it should work. Clear forum title gives the opportunity to avoid if you want to. That is a quite rare community when you can bring complete yourself if you keep it within the agreed boundaries and in respectful manner. I guess that is the most important and Cap tried to emphasize this.

A Political Topics category could be created where people can post threads of that nature.
The admins could move threads there if they get posted in the general sections.
That way a “mosh pit” is created where you can dive in, or not. And admins would have to call out rude or disrespectful talk.

A Political Topics category could be created where people can post threads of that nature.
The admins could move threads there if they get posted in the general sections.
That way a “mosh pit” is created where you can dive in, or not. And admins would have to call out rude or disrespectful talk.
There is a political category in the "Off Topic" area.

And of course there is spill over of these topics into other threads....although it's not optimal, it's expected.

Well, I agree with you on a one-to-one conversation. But things posted on the org have the two posters directly involved and then several more, maybe a lot more, reading the argument and passively taking sides. I get into many of these because people here are trying to turn the org into a propaganda site. Sort of injecting a few facts into those fantasies.

I'll leave it there, Capt. You know I'm sort of out of the fold, but don't take that as disrespect.

PS: Gen 2's are the best Busas; does anyone want to argue with that?

Well, I agree with you on a one-to-one conversation. But things posted on the org have the two posters directly involved and then several more, maybe a lot more, reading the argument and passively taking sides. I get into many of these because people here are trying to turn the org into a propaganda site. Sort of injecting a few facts into those fantasies.

I'll leave it there, Capt. You know I'm sort of out of the fold, but don't take that as disrespect.

PS: Gen 2's are the best Busas; does anyone want to argue with that?
More than one generations exists? ;-)
I though the same bloodline is the same bloodline. Maybe the grandfather stronger than the father for a while and obviously they both stronger than the grandchild, however the grandchild will be the more adaptable of them all. The most important is the family and that they love to do trips together. So no argument at all...

I agree. There are many sayings, proverbs in many languages which can say the same. Mind your own business and respect others.

I was first a bit surprised when I saw topics which are not even close to the bikes and this lifestyle. I guess this is fine and I respect that. However when someone would like to stay away to politics and actual media "priorities" it would be great if classic forums like this can be used for that like in the old days. In the past 30 years the Internet has changed, hidden agendas influenced almost every part of it. It would be great to preserve these hidden gems like this forum and as earlier, mainly focus on recreational/professional bike related purpose where we are not separated by viewpoints, religions, nations, but rather be bonded by that one topic which more or less reflect the same for all: joy, thrill, satisfaction which are even better when shared.

In practical terms if a "new post filter button" without politics can be introduced it would be great solution. I know as an IT professional myself it is not an easy to program, but anyway you got the idea.

@Cap - to build on self control is a very tall order in my opinion. Let us see. Thank you for trying.
FYI any post from the politics forum does not show up in the "New Post" results.

Back