Canon G9 Reviews, anyone here used/own one?

skotty

Registered
I have been wanting to buy a camera for sometime now and this camera caught my eye. It seems to have the best of worlds - compact and performs almost as good as a digital SLR.

I have read the reviews on it and its pretty impressive. Thought I'd get some input from the org members.

canon-g9.jpg

canon_g9_back.jpg

I own it, and I love it.

I went through Two Leica's (Worth a look cause the optics are perfect) and in between those I bought an SD1000 to replace my older Elph and then BAM Canon releases the G9 and I like "Holla" so I grab one from 17th ST Camera via the Internets and I am very pleased. Lots of features, good optics, HUGE images. Very Nice.

I've got some dead pixels on the sensor itself so I am going to be sending it back but it's a great compromise. Not as fast or quite as flexible as an SLR but you're not missing out on a whole lot either.
thumb_up.gif

I shot the New Miss H-D of Seattle here with the G9, I had both the Rebel XTI and the G9 and the shots are 100% comparable....

Gen_02_08_CPY_208.jpg

Another with the G9... I really do love it, great features, and a reasonable size. Not going in a pocket, but that's what the Elph is for.

Gen_02_08_CPY_240.jpg

Here's a Comparison shot Taken with the Rebel XTI

Gen_02_08_CPY_090.jpg

One thing I like the most about the G9 is the construction. All metal body gives it a real solid feel, it's just nice to hold. Kind of like SIG226 or a Kimber .45 just well made and you cannot help but touch it.

I also really recommend 17th Street camera, I've bought 4 cameras from them, and they have been 100% reliable thus far. Right now they are asking $459 for the G9, I dunno if that is good or bad, but they are an authorized dealer so your warranty and everything is handled.
thumb_up.gif

Basically, if you like Canons you'll like the G9.

Great shots, thanks Rev! Thats a pretty decent price, the lowest I have seen so far is $440 on Amazon. Any input on the video mode on the G9?

Meh, it's still a digital camera with video capability. Meaning it's OK, it's clear and clean and the audio isn't too bad, but in the land of the $600 HD camcorder... The video is pretty weak, but like I said 100% effective for like web applications...

17th street camera= No taxes Paid in TX, so just make sure wherever else you look is an authorized dealer, and wont be adding taxes.

OH and don't forget to get the Little Canon camera Case for it. It fits nice, is decent leather and works pretty well, even if it is a little old school.

Hey,
You won't go wrong with any Canon.
Check out BeachCamera.com and Tristatecamera.com
They both have good prices on Canon, and are good people to deal with also.
By the way, great pictures!!!!

I forgot to mention, for about $100 more, you can get the "Power Shot SX-100" Canon, with a 8.0Mp, 10x Optical Zoom, and a Optical Image stabilized lense. All well worth the extra "C" note in price.
Imho, A better buy.. Either way you will get a great Camera.

One from my XTI

IMG_6991_2__resized__191_kb.jpg

I've heard good things about Beach and Tri-State as well, just haven't done any business with em'. Nice shot of the Busa BTW.

I must have stayed up too late last night, I thought you were talking about the Sx-100. The G-9, It is way better, right up there with the DSLRs.

Hey,
You won't go wrong with any Canon.
Check out BeachCamera.com   and Tristatecamera.com  
They both have good prices on Canon, and are good people to deal with also.
By the way, great pictures!!!!
It's as close to a DSLR as you can get. It's a Canon, what more do you want to know?

I'd be careful dealing with Tristate however. They are a bait & Switch + upsell outfit. They take your order (phone or internet) and then call you back to try to sell you crap you don't need. This has happened twice to me. Both times I listened to their line of shid and told them to stick the order up their A. then I ordered from B&H. That's the only NYC house I deal with.

My wife tried to order me some camera gear from Tristate and they pulled the same crap. When she told me the crap they were telling her I called them back and went balistic on the phone. If I was closer to NYC I'd have paid them a visit and there would have been an opened can of whoop ass there.

Did I mention that Tristate is a bunch of dishonest crooks?
rant.gif

I've got a Canon A630 8.0 megapix and been wanting to make the next jump. I've been looking hard at a canon rebel XTI (or maybe a nikon D?)...should I forget the XTI and just go G9 and save the cash??

Umm, It depends what you want to do, the XTI has a faster focus, and recovery, and a higher rate of fire. So I miss less with the XTI and the XTI is an SLR and is still a whole class above the G9.

BUT The G9 does come packed with features, offers a Bayonet style Wide Angle and telephoto and is a sweet camera. So it's up to you. The G9 will fit easier under the hump, but the XTI still has some real performance advantages. Image wise though they are a dead heat with the XTI working better in darker situations but both provide the same image quality for the most part and provide legitimate RAW photo support.
thumb_up.gif

So it's about what you think you'll enjoy most, hit a local camera shop and molest them both back to back.

Also if the G9 has features you prolly aren't going to use, check out the Canon SD950IS all titanium body, 12Meg, and lots of other cool features all packed into a small sexy Elph chassis...
thumb_up.gif

canon_sd950is_3q.jpg

thumb_up.gif

I would think that the biggest reason to go with the XTi would be the same one I used, namely the interchangeble lenses. They will both take fine pictures, but if you need to use different lenses then the XTi would work better. The G9 has Image Stabilizer built right in, and the XTi costs each time you get it.

I would think that the biggest reason to go with the XTi would be the same one I used, namely the interchangeble lenses. They will both take fine pictures, but if you need to use different lenses then the XTi would work better. The G9 has Image Stabilizer built right in, and the XTi costs each time you get it.
I'd agree for the most part, an SLR just has more flexibility, whiel the G9 is a little more portable.

Honestly I'll probably be buying another SLR here in a year or so, and complement that with another Elph. Best of both worlds, while the G9 is sorta a little from both columns.

Long story short, after really looking at what your needs are, if the G9 is still the one then go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Just in case you aren't familiar, DPReview is an excellent source for information on cameras.

Back