Cancel culture

The only good Irishman is a dead Irishman.
When I moved to southwest Missouri in the early 90's I was amazed at the gall of people to use a phrase like that in public about other races and nationalities. It's like some were clinging to the last threads of accepted racism. It's much better now, maybe because of all the people that moved here from other areas or as I like to hope it's the kids that grew up and show better sense than their parents.

Last edited:
And the whole point of division was slavery...the south wasn't willing to give up their free labor and went to war to keep it...

Led by generals such as Lee...
Exactly. That was what the war was all about. And you might want to include Abraham Lincoln in this. He was racist as well.

The following is one of Lincolns stances on the topic.

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races—that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermingling with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which will ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior. I am as much as any other man in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

So we need to cancel the $5 bill, the pennies and everything in America named after him.

Isn't that the truth...
One of our team members was black and we deployed to an African nation one time to work with their spec ops teams...I found it kind of strange how they interacted with our guy...they considered him a westerner and had no interest in him as a "brother" kind of like he half expected them to....he definitely wasn't invited into their inner circle.

When we deployed to the US to work with one of the spec ops teams there, he said he was kind of lured away by other persons of color within the teams and told it's better to distance himself from the "white boys" as much as he could....just by knowing this, he was uncomfortable and chose to hang around with us....after a while other US team members hung around with us and some of their persons of color commented that we were very welcoming compared to some of their own team members...

I told them that if I expect to live and die for someone, I don't care about his color, religion or ethnic background as they are willing to do the same for me. More than a couple wanted to join our unit...

I just found it strange of the differences in these interactions....

Exactly. That was what the war was all about. And you might want to include Abraham Lincoln in this. He was racist as well.

The following is one of Lincolns stances on the topic.

"I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races—that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermingling with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which will ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior. I am as much as any other man in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

So we need to cancel the $5 bill, the pennies and everything in America named after him.
Wait for it, that change could be coming....one never knows....

I'd imagine if we delve deep enough into most people of influence of the time, there'd be all kinds of such ideology..

Racial/religious hatred/fear is a real thing and is generational...I've met persons of color in African nations who have never seen a white person before and they were quite curious and almost naïve, I could see why it was so easy for the early explorers/missionaries, etc to manipulate them.

Some of these people live much like they did a hundred years ago and were far happier.

History needs to be preserved. Not erased. One would begin to believe that Lincoln was a champion of the black race. And Lee was not. History also doesn't like to teach us that Lincoln asked the 4 Union States that still supported slavery, how to navigate this topic.

The Civil war was also about economic power. They don't like to teach that part either. The south wasn't a bunch of ignorant rednecks. They out farmed, out produced, and out paced the North.

Here is another passage he wrote:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do, it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union...I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."

Sort of helps keeps things in perspective.

And the whole point of division was slavery...the south wasn't willing to give up their free labor and went to war to keep it...

Led by generals such as Lee...
Slavery was a part of it.
300,000 people fought for the confederacy
4% of them owned slaves. Many simply fought because Yankees came down and invaded their land. Remember for many it was not called nor is it called the civil war. It was the war of northern aggression. And as Lee said himself it was about states rights. Slavery was just one aspect of their lives the north and us govt wanted to change. You should also not forget that the emancipation proclamation freed slaves in the south. It did not free all of them. Slavery continued to exist in northern states for a while as there was no other way to get some things done.

Slavery was a part of it.
300,000 people fought for the confederacy
4% of them owned slaves. Many simply fought because Yankees came down and invaded their land. Remember for many it was not called nor is it called the civil war. It was the war of northern aggression. And as Lee said himself it was about states rights. Slavery was just one aspect of their lives the north and us govt wanted to change. You should also not forget that the emancipation proclamation freed slaves in the south. It did not free all of them. Slavery continued to exist in northern states for a while as there was no other way to get some things done.
Slavery was at the heart of it...

Some good reading here...I studied the War between the States years ago so I had to refresh my own memory

History needs to be preserved. Not erased. One would begin to believe that Lincoln was a champion of the black race. And Lee was not. History also doesn't like to teach us that Lincoln asked the 4 Union States that still supported slavery, how to navigate this topic.

The Civil war was also about economic power. They don't like to teach that part either. The south wasn't a bunch of ignorant rednecks. They out farmed, out produced, and out paced the North.

Here is another passage he wrote:

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do, it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union...I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free."

Sort of helps keeps things in perspective.
Economic power the use of slaves brought to the fore-front...

I do agree that history needs to be preserved and learned from so in some cases it isn't repeated. Erasing history is the wrong way to go but it seems like it is the way it is going.

Slavery was at the heart of it...

Some good reading here...I studied the War between the States years ago so I had to refresh my own memory

The troubles between the north and the south began long before slavery ever became a part of it. When it began to brew all states north and south used slavery. It was the way of life back then. More so for the south yes, but the north was not innocent in all of it. Hell most slaves landed at northern ports and were sold in yankee markets.

I was mistaken. It was the Royal African Company owned by the Duke of York given to him by his brother the King of England. It transported and traded in more slaves than all others combined. New York and NYC were named after him. So when they are done erasing and renaming all the southern heritage let me know when the screaming mimis seek to rename both of them. But we know they won’t. Because it’s not about the hurtful statues or acts those people committed. It’s about erasing certain parts of history they don’t like.

I was mistaken. It was the Royal African Company owned by the Duke of York given to him by his brother the King of England. It transported and traded in more slaves than all others combined. New York and NYC were named after him. So when they are done erasing and renaming all the southern heritage let me know when the screaming mimis seek to rename both of them. But we know they won’t. Because it’s not about the hurtful statues or acts those people committed. It’s about erasing certain parts of history they don’t like.

Captured and sold to them by Africans.

History needs to be preserved. Not erased.
I agree 100%. Removing a monument to a racist from a public place is not erasing history. There are endless books and information on historical figures for anyone interested. I realize you and I will never agree on this and that has to be ok.

I agree 100%. Removing a monument to a racist from a public place is not erasing history. There are endless books and information on historical figures for anyone interested. I realize you and I will never agree on this and that has to be ok.
There are an uncountable number of racists in history. Many with statues in their honor. Why only go after confederates?
Shall we burn every piece of currency with Jefferson or Washington’s pics on them?
Kinda curious how everyone in favor of removing Lee from memory ignores the facts I mentioned about New York. Shall we rename the state? The city? Every street in the country with York on it? Why not he was the largest slave trader in history. If lil ole Lee needs to go surely anything and everything to do with or carry the name of York should be erased.

You keep using terms like erased and removed from memory. Who’s asking for that?
The same people who want to remove statues, then remove their names from bases, schools and buildings. Then comes taking down their pictures as was done by Pelosi in congress’ hall. I have no doubt they will if left unchecked soon seek to remove books, writings and anything related to them. What makes you think they will stop? They get a little and want more.

We are not too far away from a world without books being everywhere. If you wish to make a point here or elsewhere do you reference a book or use digital information? We all do Slowly but surely everything is being digitized. When that’s done it will be as easy as a few keystrokes to erase anyone or anything as well as add whatever.

We are not too far away from a world without books being everywhere. If you wish to make a point here or elsewhere do you reference a book or use digital information? We all do Slowly but surely everything is being digitized. When that’s done it will be as easy as a few keystrokes to erase anyone or anything as well as add whatever.
Not going to happen but you can hypothesize all you want. Just because people don’t want to celebrate racists in our history doesn’t mean those same people want to erase those memories or events that hopefully we can and have learned from.

Back