Can I get a taller speedometer? I'm passing 190 stock and would like to see how fast

specizripn

Registered
---2011 Busa---Ok so I'm tired of pegging my speedo at 190... Can I get a 300 mph speedo? Please take my question seriously, because I know it is a little bit ridiculous. I'm getting my motor rebuilt, including a turbo kit, and I'd like to see how fast I'm going. I've had turbo bikes in the past occasionally do mile courses and seeing the speed in real time would be very helpful, instead of seeing my speed up to 190 and then having to wait to see the receipt to know how I did.

If they don't make them, is there I way I could make one or get one made and properly programmed/adjusted? Thanks!

Re: Can I get a taller speedometer? I'm passing 190 stock and would like to see how f

Good question. I'd like one as well.

Re: Can I get a taller speedometer? I'm passing 190 stock and would like to see how f

Unless you have a speedo healer on it your not doing 190. More like 175.

But anyway yes there are 220-240 mph kits out there that along with a speedo healer will read true high speeds.

I didnt know that? So when I am pegged out, I am not doing 190mph. So your saying that when I am up there in speed, my speedometer is actually wrong? But a speedo healer will allow my bike to read the correct speed?

There are many apps for smart phones now. From simple speed apps to gps apps. Get one and check your speed next time. Factory speedo is off by about 10-15mph when you get up there.

Wow, I didn't know that. That bugs me even more! If I'm pegged and not even doing the speed I'm pegged at :( So when I get the motor rebuilt with the turbo the speedo will be nearly useless... Wow

Also, do you really use the app where your riding at over 150 mph? Haha they made texting and driving illegal for normal speeds, so how safe would using your phone on a top speed run be? Still pretty cool though!

That kind of bumbs me out as well. Im sure its only off at higher speeds. At lower speeds im sure its on, because on base when I pass a digital speed monitor, it is exactly what my speedometer says.

Get a GPS and you'l see that the faster you go the further off the speedo is! At top speed it's way off as mentioned previously!

If you hold 6th gear wide open until the engine won't pull anymore you will be on the stock limiter of 300kmph/186mph.
That's with good conditions, temp, wind, ect. It'll take at least a mile to get there, and that's assuming you're not 6' 5" 250lbs and not very aerodynamic too. The bike will continue to accelerate after the speedo has pegged due to the speedo's inaccuracies.
You must remove the stock limiter to go any faster(99 and 2000 Busa's were made before the Japanese 300kmph agreement for 2001 models, and are capable of 194mph)
The ecu editor from boostbysmith.com - Home allows you to click and turn it off, as well as many other things. Smith also sells a switch for $32 if all you want is the top speed limiter gone.
With the limiter off the bike should be capable of 197mph(gen2), "the bike", rider and conditions make all the difference.
You will need a 55 series rear tire, or a 41 tooth rear sprocket (stock gen2 rear sprocket is 43 teeth) to pass 200mph.
I think 204mph is possible with either, again perfect conditions and most likely more than a mile.
There are many smartphone and gps mounts for the center nut on the top clamp or handlebar mounts. That way you can watch your speed in real time.
If you switch to a 220mph guage face and add a speedohealer it will still be innaccurate at near top speeds. As the new 220mph positions are compressed into the same size as the stock 185, because the needle doesn't/can't travel any further.
A full aftermarket exhaust and especially a dyno tune really helps achieve those speeds too. Every little bit helps, as the faster you go the harder it becomes to continue to go faster.:beerchug:

That kind of bumbs me out as well. Im sure its only off at higher speeds. At lower speeds im sure its on, because on base when I pass a digital speed monitor, it is exactly what my speedometer says.

False; the factory speedo is off between 6-10% no matter what speed. At 80 MPH you might only be doing 72 or so.

I use a free app on my Android phone call GPS Speedometer that stores the highest and average speed. GPS Speedometer - Android app on AppBrain

This way you can just keep your phone in your pocket and don't need a special mount. Just go out and ride at a steady speed like 75MPH. Watch your speedo and remember the highest indicated speed. If it was 75, for example, when you check the app on your phone you will see that it stored something like 69MPH as the highest speed. I know that my 2000 Busa was off by 8.3%. I use the speedohealer now so my speedometer is pretty accurate.

Wow, I didn't know that. That bugs me even more! If I'm pegged and not even doing the speed I'm pegged at :( So when I get the motor rebuilt with the turbo the speedo will be nearly useless... Wow

Also, do you really use the app where your riding at over 150 mph? Haha they made texting and driving illegal for normal speeds, so how safe would using your phone on a top speed run be? Still pretty cool though!

I use an app called cyclemeter. It saves fastest speed as well as plots your speed on a map as you ride. It records your speed at set distance intervals you choose like 1/4 1/2 or 1 mile or more. After the ride you can email your entire ride to yourself and click on any point marker on a google map. It's one of the best apps I've seen for this. I turn it on and ride. Check it when I get back. No time to look down too busy looking up when riding.

I use an app called cyclemeter. It saves fastest speed as well as plots your speed on a map as you ride. It records your speed at set distance intervals you choose like 1/4 1/2 or 1 mile or more. After the ride you can email your entire ride to yourself and click on any point marker on a google map. It's one of the best apps I've seen for this. I turn it on and ride. Check it when I get back. No time to look down too busy looking up when riding.

Wonderful to again realize how technology can incriminate us.
Eventually you'll be able to ride 10 miles into empty desert, run 180mph with endagering anyone, never see another vehicle or the cops...and come home to get arrested.
All via satellite, they just send the fuzz to pick you up:laugh:
It's only funny now.

I wouldnt be looking at my Speedometer at 180MPH.:poke:

But yes, they are off. Get a Speedohealer and when you get your turbo tuned have them remove the top speed limiter (186mph).....as well as set other parameters. Use the ECU for tuning.

I think my speedometer pegs out at around 160-165mph on my 05LE.

Wonderful to again realize how technology can incriminate us.
Eventually you'll be able to ride 10 miles into empty desert, run 180mph with endagering anyone, never see another vehicle or the cops...and come home to get arrested.
All via satellite, they just send the fuzz to pick you up:laugh:
It's only funny now.

"Yes officer my phone was stolen just a little while ago. Thank you for showing up so fast to try to help me get it back!" :laugh:

I use a yellow box I am at about .5% under so I am actually going faster than what it's showing but since I am more at the 65-75 mph range doesn't bother me.

These meanies bursted your bubble didn't they :laugh:

take it to the drag strip and see what it traps.....:whistle:

When I ran the Texas mile last march I had a trap speed of 170.4 and my speedometer was pegged. I have a speedohealer and it was set at stock parameters for that pass. So it is off quite a bit.

When I ran the Texas mile last march I had a trap speed of 170.4 and my speedometer was pegged. I have a speedohealer and it was set at stock parameters for that pass. So it is off quite a bit.

Stock parameters listed on the speedohealer site are just typical and not necessarily correct for everyone. Gearing, tire size, tire condition, etc., all make a difference. Using a GPS to get your actual speed and then using the online calculator will get you a more accurate set up.

I understand that I was just stating the facts. The bike had stock gearing on it and it was a brand new 190/50 17 tire that had maybe 35-45 miles on it.

Back