Can anyone here tell me what "Like an AR15" really means?

Capture.JPG

To much of the world outside the US a rifle is more a target marksman’s gun, a single fire hunting rifle, a gun that’s designed for accuracy and outside of the military has various uses that are seen as “legitimate“.

To say “AR15 like“ is seen to some as being “Uzi like“ or “AK47 like” it doesn’t really matter what the gun is, folk see it as predominantly a weapon for putting holes in people.

Any reference to AR / AK / Uzi etc just tells folk it was what they see as that “style“ of gun.

To folk far away from guns or with little interest or knowledge there only pistons, shot guns, sniper rifles or those they see as being “Like an AR15”, the media knows this will get the reaction they want.
The left can't demonize a rifle nearly as effectively as they can demonize an "assault like" weapon. Politically it's much easier to get some traction if you're trying to ban a group of "assault like" weapons than it would be to group then all into rifles. Rifles are seen as legitimate things, used for legitimate purpose.

They have no clue that a wood stock magazine fed say Creedmore for example, can pretty much blow a human to pieces too.

The left can't demonize a rifle nearly as effectively as they can demonize an "assault like" weapon. Politically it's much easier to get some traction if you're trying to ban a group of "assault like" weapons than it would be to group then all into rifles. Rifles are seen as legitimate things, used for legitimate purpose.

They have no clue that a wood stock magazine fed say Creedmore for example, can pretty much blow a human to pieces too.
Or an M-1, M-14, SKS...the list goes on and on of dangerous weapons that look like hunting rifles..

Look at what happened here in Canada, the government banned over 1500 weapons that were of the "assault style" weapon platform (because they looked intimidating) and also added in the mini-14 because some idiot used it in a mass shooting...a terrorist attacked our parliament building using a 30-30 lever action (of all things) but they didn't ban those....

Or an M-1, M-14, SKS...the list goes on and on of dangerous weapons that look like hunting rifles..

Look at what happened here in Canada, the government banned over 1500 weapons that were of the "assault style" weapon platform (because they looked intimidating) and also added in the mini-14 because some idiot used it in a mass shooting...a terrorist attacked our parliament building using a 30-30 lever action (of all things) but they didn't ban those....
I think that was where my head was at when this first came out, I was thinking maybe a mini 14 because it fired the same round... My point is still the same, they will use the words AR15 as often as they can regardless if it's accurate or not... I did read in this thread and in an article today that it was an M&P AR15 used and I also read here and in a news article that it was a KelTek not sure which is accurate at this point.

Smith & Wesson M&P15 is an AR-15 style semi-automatic rifle by gun manufacturer Smith & Wesson. Introduced in 2006, the firearm is designed for police and consumer markets.

Sorry, I didn't put a lot of time into the wordsmithing my thoughts... I will reiterate this trigger man is pure evil and I have no mercy for him, What I am trying to wrap my head around is the media.. Had this been an AR15 then they would be screaming it from the rooftops. Since it appears from other post that it was a KelTec then what we are seeing is the media clearly trying to manipulate the people. That is the point I was trying to make fellas...
Ar-15 is a buzz word, as soon as a ar-15 type platform is used it attracts people attention immediately same with the weird phrase "assault weapons" my classification of an assault weapon would be capable of full auto which I'm not sure has been used in a mass shooting in America or Canada (unlike Mexico all the time with the strictest gun laws).

I have a good feeling they use those buzzwords for votes (politicians don't shed a tear for us common folk), many people are so anti-gun that it's going to be an easy vote even without other glaring issues with the political party.

I think that was where my head was at when this first came out, I was thinking maybe a mini 14 because it fired the same round... My point is still the same, they will use the words AR15 as often as they can regardless if it's accurate or not... I did read in this thread and in an article today that it was an M&P AR15 used and I also read here and in a news article that it was a KelTek not sure which is accurate at this point.
I'm impressed that thus far we haven't had a 4 page lecture that everyone is stupid because an AR is different than the guns used in this. It's still early in the thread still. The left does do a bad job of labelling. But I agree with why they are trying to figure out how to group together "assault style" weapon. They want everything to be an AR. What they should try is "assault style" label.

We'd still get lectured by the 2A rabid dogs that say "change the stock and it's now a hunting rifle.". Just to try and protect the idea that we should be able to own anything we want.

I'm impressed that thus far we haven't had a 4 page lecture that everyone is stupid because an AR is different than the guns used in this. It's still early in the thread still. The left does do a bad job of labelling. But I agree with why they are trying to figure out how to group together "assault style" weapon. They want everything to be an AR. What they should try is "assault style" label.

We'd still get lectured by the 2A rabid dogs that say "change the stock and it's now a hunting rifle.". Just to try and protect the idea that we should be able to own anything we want.
The weapon industry is huge and a very big economic engine....there are so many weapon platforms in the US which are unaccounted for that it would be impossible to create any sort of gun control at this point.

At one time the AK was the weapon symbol of terror, now it is gravitating more and more to the AR style platform most likely due to the fact there are so many AR style variants out there.

Perhaps this is why media is reporting on an AR weapon being used as they could just be ignorant of what weapon platforms are out there? It could be they have an agenda to turn the general public against the AR style weapon system in an attempt to garner some sort of pressure for the government to act in abolishing this weapon system?

The weapon industry is huge and a very big economic engine....there are so many weapon platforms in the US which are unaccounted for that it would be impossible to create any sort of gun control at this point.

At one time the AK was the weapon symbol of terror, now it is gravitating more and more to the AR style platform most likely due to the fact there are so many AR style variants out there.

Perhaps this is why media is reporting on an AR weapon being used as they could just be ignorant of what weapon platforms are out there? It could be they have an agenda to turn the general public against the AR style weapon system in an attempt to garner some sort of pressure for the government to act in abolishing this weapon system?

I don't think there is any ignorance of what is out there but I have no doubt that the media is using this as an opportunity to push their agenda with well crafted wording... Bumblebee you made the point I was trying to make much clearer...

Its just good for all of us to see it when it happens so we know there is an active effort to sway and control thoughts.

I doubt the actual make of the weapon used is relevant. Describing it as a lookalike assault rifle or AR15 makes sense to me. I have a .44 magnum semi auto carbine but it’s not magazine fed and has a wooden stock. It does not look like an ‘assault’ rifle. Here’s a couple pics of some of the ridiculous American gun owners we have. Take your pick.

View attachment 1653162

View attachment 1653163
truly bonkers - normalising guns to kids

each to their own

truly bonkers - normalising guns to kids

each to their own
This has been going on for well over a century now, generational you might say...

I grew up with guns, I carried a lever action .22 on our farm without supervision ever since I was 10...we were taught how to handle firearms and their dangers as well as what was awaiting us if we did something stupid with them...My dad would give us only so many rounds and those were accounted for....

I shudder to think how kids are trained to handle and respect firearms especially how the kids (and some of their parents) are today..

Last edited:
This has been going on for well over a century now, generational you might say...

I grew up with guns, I carried a lever action .22 on our farm without supervision ever since I was 10...we were taught how to handle firearms and their dangers as well as what was awaiting us if we did something stupid with them...My dad would give us only so many rounds and those were accounted for....

I shudder to think how kids are trained to handle and respect firearms especially how the kids (and some of their parents) are today..
My dad was a cop before I was born. And a secret service agent when I was young. I too grew up around guns. Knowing they had a purpose. And the consequences.

I also grew up with cars that were big, low key, and could do burnouts for miles. I thought all cars had rubber floors, "calibrated" on the speedometer, engines the size of a small house under the hood, and an interior that could house a small family. He always got low key Ford LTDs with a 460 engine. Or Plymouth Furys with a 440.

My dad taught me the responsibility and culture of both of those.

I have to say I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to gun/caliber and gun terms in general but the one thing I was shocked about when I held and fired and AR for the first time was, how light it felt, how “weak” the recoil was and how small those .223(?) rounds looked. My .30-06 rifle and my friend’s .300 win mag kick like freaking mules in comparison. All that made me cringe at the thought of how much more damage could be done if some firearm that fired a more powerful round became a mass shooter’s weapon of choice. Again, I’m the complete opposite of and expert but I would think there are other more powerful (fast shooting) weapons available to the public in the US, just not as popular as the ARs.

Last edited:
I have to say I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to gun/caliber and gun terms in general but the one thing I was shocked about when I held and fired and AR for the first time was, how light it felt, how “weak” the recoil was and how small those .223(?) rounds looked. My .30-06 rifle and my friend’s .300 win mag kick like freaking mules in comparison. All that made me cringe at the thought of how much more damage could be done if some firearm that fired a more powerful round became a mass shooter’s weapon of choice. Again, I’m the complete opposite of and expert but I would think there are other more powerful (fast shooting) weapons available to the public in the US, just not as popular as the ARs.
The whole allure of the AR 15 platform is the lightness of the weapon and rounds...you can carry a lot more 5.56 rounds than 7.62 as they are lighter. Now the US military has gone to a 6.8 round NATO will soon follow.

Add to that if you are firing 5-10 thousand rounds per day, all that recoil is hard both on your body and sight picture. In combat, the 5.56 round outperforms the (Soviet) 7.62X39 round.

There are quite a few weapon platforms out there chambered in 7.62 and other calibers....AR included.

The whole allure of the AR 15 platform is the lightness of the weapon and rounds...you can carry a lot more 5.56 rounds than 7.62 as they are lighter. Now the US military has gone to a 6.8 round NATO will soon follow.

Add to that if you are firing 5-10 thousand rounds per day, all that recoil is hard both on your body and sight picture. In combat, the 5.56 round outperforms the (Soviet) 7.62X39 round.

There are quite a few weapon platforms out there chambered in 7.62 and other calibers....AR included.

Hi. I did like my M60. The 7.62 x 51mm. The M80 with the M62 tracers look wild at night.

Back