Cages and Right-of-way in the \"Busa Zone\"

sherm

Registered
Hypothetical situation:

- I pull my '37 Lumina sedan up to a stop sign at a rural intersection. Going to make a left turn.

- To the right I see a single headlight vehicle about 1/2 mile down the road and coming towards me.

- Parameters sent to neck-top PC collision avoidance program. Program figures vehicle to be a bike, and since normal speed for car traffic on this road is 60 mph program assumes 80 mph for bike. That means 22 seconds before bike gets to intersection.

- Neck-top sends go signal to body parts and I start my left turn.

- Bad parameters. Turns out bike is being ridden by Ballsout Busa Bill, aka Three Dollar Bill, at 180 mph true. Only 10 seconds to intersection.

- Lumina rear view mirror indicates fast approaching, zigzaging headlight, in cloud of smoke. Excitement builds.

- Bill survives (with severly soiled leathers) but rants on about "cage" getting in his way.

Does Bill have a case?

Anyone that interupts a good 180mph run for whatever reason should be damned to the furthest region of hell !

Sherm's point is well taken and well illustrated. The trick to enjoying a red line run is having no cross streets or even driveways to screw up your run.

I've found some runs like that around my place and those are the only stretches I'll pin it and just leave it pinned.

Ironically, sustained top speed runs are the one thing that racing and track days deny you. You can only get that on the street.

I hope that one day I will get to take a Member from this board on one of the beautiful high speed runs that are all around my home.

I only got a short hi-speed run with Malcolm, then on the second run his bike crapped out before we got 6 miles!

C'mon back Malcolm how's that turbo going...

Hard to fault the "cage" in this circumstance. Even harder to agree with Three Dollar Bill's rage toward the "cage". In fact 3db's rage indicates a lack of personal responsibility for his part of the hypothetical situation.

As riders, we have to focus on what we can do to take control of every circumstance. Every saftey riders class tells you to ride as though you're invisible. We've got to expect the "cage" to make the wrong move. Enter every circumstance with a contingency. There is no way to win them all, but approach ensures the highest winning percent when interacting with the cages in the street.

[This message has been edited by Factory (edited 12 December 1999).]

Right or wrong cages always have the right of way. If you don't accept that your being right won't do you any good when your are a statistic.

Steve

Back