Buy gen3 or gen2?

Everyone says about the 3 models of Busa, but in some ways it’s more like 5.

Early Gen-1’s
Later Gen-1’s,
Early Gen-2’s.
Later Gen-2’s.
Gen-3’s.

For me, they have only ever got better. Nothing wrong with having a favourite or preference, but really they have got improvements in their life span and never really goofed up and made a bad model that wasn’t really a step forward.

So the Gen 3 should be, Suzuki had how many years to get the formula right?

If we look back at the Gen 1, when the Gen 2 came along it didn't exactly wipe the street with the Gen 1...

The original Gen 1 was a hard bike to beat and still is....
It’s not only the time they had as the task involved. More so than the. 1 to 2 change.

The old (Gen-2) couldn’t even get through Euro-4 compliance, the new Gen-3 meets Euro-5 that a lot of other bikes like the GSXR1000, ZX14R etc are failing. Getting a bike though level 5 and it living on is a big deal and it’s been the final nail in the coffin for a few models. For the 3 to be as good as it is when meeting these levels is a big deal IMO.

I bought my Gen2 new in 2009 and left it bone stock. After 14 years it still attracts attention and really gives me everything I want on the street from a bike.

I don't like all the emission stuff on the Gen3 and do not need traction control, neither ABS as I like being 100% in control. All that said, I do not race, do not ride competitively and just enjoy that awesome power out in the country where there is almost zero traffick.

In short, I do not like buying used stuff, so if I had to buy today, it would be a Gen3. But I have no desire to trade my Gen2 in and buy a Gen3. My bike gives me everything I need, without the worry about too much emission stuff choking it as the miles add up.

If you are real serious about going fast then owning a Gen-2 or Gen-3 isn’t a deal breaker. The results folk are getting and the times and numbers they are seeing is showing that when you get serious the 3 will match or beat the 2. A gen-3 now holds the stock wheel base 1/4 mile street record, Moore’s shown a 3 matching 2’s numbers but better in some area, lots of other examples. It’s very nave to dismiss a 3 for being a few ponys down out of the crate.

Not wanting all the tech and features is OK. Some of it I’d be quite happy not to have like the not very good “Hill Hold”. However the 3 gives you the options to pick, choose, to set and customise. The proper cruise control, smart ABS, anti wheelie, traction control, heaps, more, you dont have to be stuck with a gadget loaded bike or a basic bare bones one, being able to pick the perfect combination is great unless you obsessively want no tech, ever, wind rain or shine, commuting, touring, racing ever.

Where a 2 wins is on price. If you want horsepower for your dollar and numbers are more important than how nice It is on the street or the length of the new bike warranty then that’s exactly why I bought a 2. My 2 will be a bare bones bike, lose weight, gain horsepower, it’s never going to be as nice or good as a Gen-3 for real world riding.

If I was sitting on a pile of cash I’d have two Gen-3’s not a 2 and a 3.

If you are real serious about going fast then owning a Gen-2 or Gen-3 isn’t a deal breaker. The results folk are getting and the times and numbers they are seeing is showing that when you get serious the 3 will match or beat the 2. A gen-3 now holds the stock wheel base 1/4 mile street record, Moore’s shown a 3 matching 2’s numbers but better in some area, lots of other examples. It’s very nave to dismiss a 3 for being a few ponys down out of the crate.

Not wanting all the tech and features is OK. Some of it I’d be quite happy not to have like the not very good “Hill Hold”. However the 3 gives you the options to pick, choose, to set and customise. The proper cruise control, smart ABS, anti wheelie, traction control, heaps, more, you dont have to be stuck with a gadget loaded bike or a basic bare bones one, being able to pick the perfect combination is great unless you obsessively want no tech, ever, wind rain or shine, commuting, touring, racing ever.

Where a 2 wins is on price. If you want horsepower for your dollar and numbers are more important than how nice It is on the street or the length of the new bike warranty then that’s exactly why I bought a 2. My 2 will be a bare bones bike, lose weight, gain horsepower, it’s never going to be as nice or good as a Gen-3 for real world riding.

A Hayabusa is a Hayabusa whether it's a Gen 1, 2, or 3.....this Hayabusa forum is still alive and strong for a reason..

Each bike has it's own merits...and I like all of them personally.....

If you are real serious about going fast then owning a Gen-2 or Gen-3 isn’t a deal breaker.
I would say if you’re real serious about going fast then the PCM tips the scales hard toward Gen 2. The Gen 3 limited with forced induction/tune by gear just remove it from the serious speed conversation.

I would say if you’re real serious about going fast then the PCM tips the scales hard toward Gen 2. The Gen 3 limited with forced induction/tune by gear just remove it from the serious speed conversation.
The 3’s I’ve seen with a full system, stacks, filter and flash (the most common mods) are an equal to a Gen-2, some are stronger in some areas, and getting better all the time, most haven’t done cams yet.

Pretty much what‘s said here at 26:10

The 3’s I’ve seen with a full system, stacks, filter and flash (the most common mods) are an equal to a Gen-2, some are stronger in some areas, and getting better all the time, most haven’t done cams yet.

I don’t consider full bolt ons serious about speed is what I’m trying to say. If you’re after a fast bike that you ride to bike night, Gen 3 all the way. If you’re out trying to race with 2017+ liter bikes, Gen 2 with boost is going to be fractions of the price of a comparable Gen 3 because of the stand-alone you’d need.

I’ve got 10k into my Gen 3 to run wheel to wheel with my buddies comparable Gen 2. One of the other busa’s we ride with has 7500 into a turbo and tune and destroys us both. Both N/A bikes get walked away from by the bolt on K67s, Gen5 ZX10s etc we ride with.

I don’t consider full bolt ons serious about speed is what I’m trying to say. If you’re after a fast bike that you ride to bike night, Gen 3 all the way. If you’re out trying to race with 2017+ liter bikes, Gen 2 with boost is going to be fractions of the price of a comparable Gen 3 because of the stand-alone you’d need.

I’ve got 10k into my Gen 3 to run wheel to wheel with my buddies comparable Gen 2. One of the other busa’s we ride with has 7500 into a turbo and tune and destroys us both. Both N/A bikes get walked away from by the bolt on K67s, Gen5 ZX10s etc we ride with.
Years ago when my Gen 1 had Ivans 5th gear mapping and a Yosh 4 into one I raced a stock 05 ZX-10. He walked me after giving me the hit.
So many other bikes have exceeded the acceleration of our stock or near stock Busa's in the last 10 years I can't count them all. I place comfort and fun in pretty much the same category. If I am not comfortable I am not going to have much fun... if I am not having fun I am probably not going to ride very much.

After I finish putting together my Gen 1 and selling it I will consider the possibility of putting a Gen 2 motor in a Gen 1 frame that I have sitting right now. The Gen 1 styling still tops the list in my humble opinion. I might be a bit biased though... I keep looking at the Gen 3 whenever I go to my local bike shop where I see Gen 3s going for 15K ++... They still haven't grown on me though I am sure a days worth of riding on one might sway me a bit.
1685091958223.png

Yep, that is a good video on the two bikes for sure....

Numbers are numbers, real world is a whole different animal and the electronic package on the Gen 3 is a definite edge.

The liter bikes have the edge in weight and are putting out as much or more power (not torque) so are hard to beat if one is into that.

I personally just enjoy the ride so if I had the extra coin laying around, a Gen 3 is a no brainer for me but I don't ride enough to justify the expense of one.

Numbers are numbers, real world is a whole different animal and the electronic package on the Gen 3 is a definite edge.
I agree.

The two I ride most now, back to back, a stock 3 and an early 2 with cans and PC5, if they were dyno’d back to back I’d put money on the 2 being the more powerful, I can absolutely guarantee on the road, up the mountains, around the dams, through the forests, I’m faster on the stock Gen-3. It’s so easy to ride harder than the early 2, let’s me push harder.

Gen-2 for the drags, Gen-3 for the fun roads.

I agree.

The two I ride most now, back to back, a stock 3 and an early 2 with cans and PC5, if they were dyno’d back to back I’d put money on the 2 being the more powerful, I can absolutely guarantee on the road, up the mountains, around the dams, through the forests, I’m faster on the stock Gen-3. It’s so easy to ride harder than the early 2, let’s me push harder.

Gen-2 for the drags, Gen-3 for the fun roads.
My Gen 2 is set up to be fun on the back roads with better brakes, suspension, tune and the regular power adders....and quick shifter....it's a stout machine but far from stock...

I'd own a Gen 3 in a minute...and be more than happy to leave it stock.

Hill hold is so annoying. It activates when I don't need it, and doesn't when I do, ha-ha!

My Gen 2 is set up to be fun on the back roads with better brakes, suspension, tune and the regular power adders....and quick shifter....it's a stout machine but far from stock...

I'd own a Gen 3 in a minute...and be more than happy to leave it stock.
I wanna leave mine stock, because it's a delightfully smooth, quiet ride and the ECU is not factory gimped like on the ZX-10R, R1 and S/M 1000 RR.

However, at the same time I also want that bit of performance that the Euro 5 compliance is holding back. I saw the BT Moto video and their flash with the stacks really wakes up the Gen 3. It no longer has a relaxed demeanor when accelerating, and the power curve no longer falls up top. It carries to the redline, which is what this bike needs to feel extra spicy.

I wanna leave mine stock, because it's a delightfully smooth, quiet ride and the ECU is not factory gimped like on the ZX-10R, R1 and S/M 1000 RR.

However, at the same time I also want that bit of performance that the Euro 5 compliance is holding back. I saw the BT Moto video and their flash with the stacks really wakes up the Gen 3. It no longer has a relaxed demeanor when accelerating, and the power curve no longer falls up top. It carries to the redline, which is what this bike needs to feel extra spicy.
Honestly I never use the power I have in my gen 2.....it is fun to know I have it when I want it though...so I would be really torn with a gen 3.....if nothing else, I'd want to shed the weight of that exhaust.

Honestly I never use the power I have in my gen 2.....it is fun to know I have it when I want it though...so I would be really torn with a gen 3.....if nothing else, I'd want to shed the weight of that exhaust.
Yeah, my only mods are slip-ons and the bike felt noticeably lighter. That's how heavy those stock cans are!

….

Some say the gen 3 is more comfortable but you will see post after post of people modifying it for comfort-the same mods done to previous generations so I would wager stock for stock it's comfort isn't much better than the gen 2.
I’d respectfully (of course) disagree. Think about two motorcycles regardless of brand or model. One has been ridden normally for 8 years and the other is fresh from a showroom.

The 8 year old bike is just not going to be as fresh or comfortable. Foam wears out so an 8 year old seat isn’t likely to be as comfortable as a new seat. Also most people don’t service their suspension so that’s another nod towards new suspension working better than 8 year old stuff that’s been serviced maybe one to three times if you’re lucky.

I’d say since you just want to cruise and enjoy a motorcycle. New is what I choose. Nobody else has touched it to screw things up and I can enjoy wearing out that new bike feeling. You can buy it and just rack up the miles as you wish.

When I purchased my Gen 3 it was $18k and a nice used one by me was $14k. If I couldn’t afford a Gen 3 I would have bought a Gen 2.

Hopefully those thoughts help. Let us know what you’re thinking and what you end up doing.

Back