Busa with Fuel Pump issue and battery is drained after being parked for a few days

Re: Busa with Fuel Pump issue and battery is drained after being parked for a few day

I'd probably rewire the fuel system to get those codes to stop (assuming everything is connected tightly, bolted down, screwed in well, etc. and that all your fuses and relays are good).

Re: Busa with Fuel Pump issue and battery is drained after being parked for a few day

Thanks for the codes. I have one question what is the power supply to the injectors? This is for codes 32.,33,34,35.

I attempt the drain test and remove the negative cable. When I connected the negative prong of the multimeter to the cable and positive to the negative battery terminal. Upon touching the terminal, a click noise happens and the gauges bounce once and the multimeter readout is 2amps. Within a few seconds the readout is 0 amps. So this means nothing is being drain from the battery when the bike is off. A problem does exist and its mind blogging not to have a fix for this.

I was wondering about the ground wires on the bike. Where can I find them on the bike? If a ground wire is not making a good connection will it cause this issue with draining the battery and possibly the fault codes 32,33,34,35 to display while riding.

No. A bad ground will not drain the battery. I don't completely understand the 2 amp and then nothing. You need to make sure you have a good solid connection with the meter when testing. Some one has given you some great advise above on troubleshooting the drain.

mvansomeren said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on when the charging system kicks in. It's spelled out in the service manual and I've tested it on my 2000 busa.

Below a certain RPM (I think it's around 3K), the voltage regulator is bypassed. What you get is voltage directly from the alternator/rectifier. On my bike at idle you see just under 14 volts. Once you hit that RPM threshold, the regulator kicks in and keeps the voltage at a little over 13 volts, if I remember correctly.

The bike is always charging. What people tend to forget is that it takes a lot of power to start the busa. That puts a significant drain on the battery. The problem isn't the RPM that people are riding at, its the length of time they are riding. Short 10 -15 min rides don't charge the battery long enough to replace what was used to start the bike. Continued short rides eventually drains the battery to where the bike won't start.

This is all easy to verify. Just put a meter across the battery while the bike is running and you'll always see a voltage higher than the 12 volts regardless of the RPM (unless there's something wrong with the charging system).

I need to go back and look at my service manual, you may be right- and I agree with you about the short rides; irrespective of rpms, short jaunts don't leave the scooter time to recharge... I will go back an refresh myself on the charging system... I

The latest status so far: I disconnect the ignition switch to see if the battery will continue to drain while parked. So far, after 24 hours the voltage decreased by .01 volts, let me explain, I tested the voltage last night at 12.52 volts, this evening it was 12.51 volts. Typically, the bike will drain the battery in a few days. If the battery stays this way over the next three or four days; would it be feasible to say the ignition switch is the culprit. Give me some input.

I bet if it does have an alarm, its tied into the injector/fuel pump circuit and is faulting out.I hate alarms as they cause a lot of dumb issues like this.Also check grounds and then have the battery load tested.My bike has sat for a couple months unstarted and it fired right up the other day.Start with the basics first.

I will begin to check the injector/pump circuit. The injectors has its own wiring harness that connects to the main harness, right? Where are the grounds located on this beast?

There is a big ground for the battery down by the starter, there is one or two by the seat.Look for a black wire that is bolted to the engine or frame.Does it have an alarm??

The latest status so far: I disconnect the ignition switch to see if the battery will continue to drain while parked. So far, after 24 hours the voltage decreased by .01 volts, let me explain, I tested the voltage last night at 12.52 volts, this evening it was 12.51 volts. Typically, the bike will drain the battery in a few days. If the battery stays this way over the next three or four days; would it be feasible to say the ignition switch is the culprit. Give me some input.

No, this does not tell you the ign. switch is the culprit. It really rules out nothing, in fact.

I think you need to start from the beginning and work through your problem logically here. Forget anything you have done to this point and assume anything could be the issue.

It is quite possible both problems are related. Here is what I think what may be happening:

You have a charging system issue. The bike starts, it may even read the proper charging voltage. This does not mean you are supplying enough current to the battery to keep up with what the engine is using. (If even 1 strand of the wire supplying your battery is intact, voltage will read correctly. Amperage will be almost nil however) After 1/2 hour of riding, the bike starts to code up with injector codes. This is because your battery is run down so low that the injectors are not getting enough voltage to give a proper feedback to the computer. You stop, and the next time you use the bike the battery is dead. This is not from a drain, but from the last time you rode. It would be likely, but not for sure that you are seeing other funny electrical issues such as guages acting funny. You charge the battery, assuming a drain issue and it is fine for 1/2 hour, or a few days again, then the problem re-occurs.

Does this sound possible? Replacing the regulator for example will not help you if the connector is completely burned out, as they sometimes do. There are other issues that could give similar results..

Start from the beginning. Have your battery checked. Check your charging system per the OEM manual. The method to find a drain I mentioned above IS accurate and if there is a drain it will show up if done correctly....

Thanks, I will have my battery checked out. Just a minute ago, I started to pull fuses and when I pulled the 10 AMP fuse for the fuel system, the gauges bounced and the multimeter was reading 12. 51 volts and as soon as I attempted to insert the 10 amp fuse back into the fuse box, the reading on the multimeter changed to 12.48 in a matter of seconds. Also, I hear a clicking sound in the front of the bike when the gauges bounce. Just to let you know. I will have the battery check tomorrow.

I bought a circuit tester and remove the negative cable from the battery. The circuit tester light turned on, then I remove the fuse for the fuel system and the light turned off. The fuel system is the problem. Now I must troubleshoot it. I am getting closer.

When you pull the main power fuse it will cycle the gauges.Just like reconnecting the battery.I bet the switch is shorted or maybe the relay for the pump is bad possibly

I pulled the fuel pump relay and check the voltage at each wire. Here are the readings:

R/BI = 12.51 volts
Y/R= 12.46 volts.
O/W= 12.18 volts
Y/ B = 7 volts

I located one issue with the battery drainage. The starter relay had over 12 voltages on the B terminal and M terminal when the bike was turned off. The M lead goes to the Positive terminal on the battery and the "B" terminal feeds power to the starter and the fuel system fuse in the fuse box. I figured the relay should not have voltage on both sides until the bike has started, not when the bike is off. So, I decided to buy a used starter relay to see if this solves the problem with the battery drainage. Will keep you posted.

I located one issue with the battery drainage. The starter relay had over 12 voltages on the B terminal and M terminal when the bike was turned off. The M lead goes to the Positive terminal on the battery and the "B" terminal feeds power to the starter and the fuel system fuse in the fuse box. I figured the relay should not have voltage on both sides until the bike has started, not when the bike is off. So, I decided to buy a used starter relay to see if this solves the problem with the battery drainage. Will keep you posted.
If you have an alarm on your bike you need to make sure and deal with that issue first. Bike alarms are famous for draining batteries mega-fast...especially if not hooked up well/properly. And most alarms have an anti-hijack feature which is hooked in through the ignition or fuel pump relay. Unless an alarms installed properly, and sometimes even when they are, they can give all kinds of problems including what you're having. Unless you rule out the alarm first, you'll just be chasing your tail so to speak with the other things.

Back