Busa with Fuel Pump issue and battery is drained after being parked for a few days

robertmfirvin

Registered
Busa with fuel pump issue and battery problem

Hello Everyone,

I have an 03 Busa with a few issues:

After riding the bike for about 30 minutes, a fault code of 32,33,34,35 pops up. What must I do to resolve this issue. I have a Clymer manual, but understanding what to do to stop this problem. Your help is appreciated.

The other issue, I placed a fully charged battery in the bike and within three or four days the battery is drained to the point the bike will not crank. I have a battery charger, so the battery is fully charged each time. Also, I have replaced the stator and voltage regulator and the problem still exists. What must I do?

Lastly, when I start the bike sometimes, the fuel pump does not prime for three or four seconds. I must turn the ignition switch on multiple times before the pump starts. Just the other day, a "CHEC" flash on my clock display and the pump did not come on. After about three or four minutes, the fuel pump started to prime and I was able to start the bike. What is this crap? I have had this bike in the shop many times for this issue, no one has been able to fix it. What I have noticed is bike shops will take your money and not fix sh... So I have decided to post my issues here.

Bear with me guys,I am new at this motorcycle thing, but I am willing to learn as much as possible from everyone.

Robert

First issue I would look at it the battery ... As fr as going dead, you could have a charging issue, or, it cod be the way that you are riding. After 30 mins or so she starts acting up? Well, I am wondering if you are riding around at high gets to keep the rpms down; I ask because the charging system doesn't kick in until 4500 rpms; I have seen people simply ride their battery dead.

Wow... Sending from my phone is attrocious! High gears low rpms...

Re: Busa with Fuel Pump issue and battery is drained after being parked for a few day

I charged the battery a few times and after installing the battery after charging, within a few days the battery is low and not able to start the bike.By the way, this is my third battery in two years. I have had to recharge each battery three or four times. The problem I see is something is draining the battery while the bike is parked in the garage.

Any chance you have an alarm on the bike? Also, check the wiring from the battery and under the tank, it is possible you have a spot where the insulation has rubbed through and it is shorting something...

Re: Busa with Fuel Pump issue and battery is drained after being parked for a few day

What type of battery charger are you using? Could be you are cooking the battery with a charging rate that is too high for a motorcycle battery. I hook my battery to a battery tender between rides. The battery tender is designed to bring the battery up to the proper level of charge at a low rate and then maintain the charge.

Follow the simple steps for checking for drains found here. Service manuals for Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycles, free download of service manuals for your GSXR bikes

Your battery might be an issue now, but you definitely have a drain from what you have written. Fix that and see what happens.

If you've added anything recently start by removing / disconnecting it electrically. Any after market electrical add ons are suspect. Has the bike been wrecked ? Especially the clutch side.

If the drain test shows no drains, then have the battery tested. With a good battery you can check the charging circuit. All these test are simple.

Low voltage will cause the injectors to fail, and I don't have the fault codes memorized, but I think that's what you're seeing. My four year old battery can sit 10 days and fire my ride right up.

I used a battery charger called speed charger from Autozone. The charger has an option to set it for 2AMP small battery. According to the instructions, the charger will shut off when a battery is charged. Prior to buying the charger, I went to the bike dealer to recharge the battery and the same thing happens. After three or fourth day, the battery was low.

Why a tender? I thought a tender was to store the bike for long periods without riding, right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Robert

I purchased the bike used and I was told an alarm system was installed at one point. How do I track down a shortage in the wiring? Where must I begin? One time, I suspected a problem with the charging system, but after changing the regulator and stator; the problem still exist. Your input is appreciated.

A battery tender will charge the battery, then maintain it at the proper level. My original battery lasted 5 years. If the dealer charged your battery, I would assume they would use the right charger so that is probably not the problem. Something is drawing down the battery. I would agree with the guys. Take a look at your alarm and any other electrical mods you or someone has done. Hope you find the problem.

The easiest way to find a drain on the battery is to remove the neg. battery cable, and hook an ammeter between the cable and the battery post. Whatever the ammeter reads with the key off is the amp drain on the battery with the bike off. This should be very low, ie 0.1 A or less. If the number is higher, start removing fuses one at a time to isolate each circuit on the bike. Hopefully when you remove one of these fuses, the number will drop to almost zero. This is the circuit with the drain on it. From there, you will need to find out what is on that circuit and start removing things till you find the problem. Often things like alarms etc are not wired through the fuse panel, so you will need to locate the power supply for these individually, or simply unplug the whole unit if possible. If you don't have a multimeter, a test light can also be used. Just put the light in series in between the negative cable and battery post. The light will light if there is a draw. No light indicates no draw. The higher the current draw, the brighter the test light will glow.

First issue I would look at it the battery ... As fr as going dead, you could have a charging issue, or, it cod be the way that you are riding. After 30 mins or so she starts acting up? Well, I am wondering if you are riding around at high gets to keep the rpms down; I ask because the charging system doesn't kick in until 4500 rpms; I have seen people simply ride their battery dead.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on when the charging system kicks in. It's spelled out in the service manual and I've tested it on my 2000 busa.

Below a certain RPM (I think it's around 3K), the voltage regulator is bypassed. What you get is voltage directly from the alternator/rectifier. On my bike at idle you see just under 14 volts. Once you hit that RPM threshold, the regulator kicks in and keeps the voltage at a little over 13 volts, if I remember correctly.

The bike is always charging. What people tend to forget is that it takes a lot of power to start the busa. That puts a significant drain on the battery. The problem isn't the RPM that people are riding at, its the length of time they are riding. Short 10 -15 min rides don't charge the battery long enough to replace what was used to start the bike. Continued short rides eventually drains the battery to where the bike won't start.

This is all easy to verify. Just put a meter across the battery while the bike is running and you'll always see a voltage higher than the 12 volts regardless of the RPM (unless there's something wrong with the charging system).

If the fuel pump does not always come on and draining of the battery my be caused by the ignition switch..

I purchased the bike used and I was told an alarm system was installed at one point. How do I track down a shortage in the wiring? Where must I begin? One time, I suspected a problem with the charging system, but after changing the regulator and stator; the problem still exist. Your input is appreciated.

Drain test brother and you might have an alarm system and it will sap the battery :banghead:

I attempt the drain test and remove the negative cable. When I connected the negative prong of the multimeter to the cable and positive to the negative battery terminal. Upon touching the terminal, a click noise happens and the gauges bounce once and the multimeter readout is 2amps. Within a few seconds the readout is 0 amps. So this means nothing is being drain from the battery when the bike is off. A problem does exist and its mind blogging not to have a fix for this.

I was wondering about the ground wires on the bike. Where can I find them on the bike? If a ground wire is not making a good connection will it cause this issue with draining the battery and possibly the fault codes 32,33,34,35 to display while riding.

A faulty ground will not drain a battery. If you do not have a drain on the battery, you either have a charging system issue, or a bad battery. I think the first thing you need to do here is determine if your battery is actually getting drained. It may be that it won't start due to another issue, like a bad connection. Measure the battery voltage when fully charged. It should be about 12.8V with the key off. The next time the bike is acting up, measure it again to verify that it is actually flat. Check your charging voltage as well with the bike running. It shoud read anywhere from 13-14.5V

Did the two problems start happening at the same time, or are they completely unrelated?

I disconnect the ignition switch to see if its the culprit. The battery reads 12.52 volts right now. I will leave the battery connected while the ignition is disconnected to see if the battery continues to drain. This will leave eliminate the ignition switch as a problem with draining the battery. I will check the battery voltage on Tuesday.

The problem started at separate times. The battery issue has been an ongoing problem. In two years, I have replace the battery twice, so I decided to purchase a charger because I was tired of going to a bike shop to have the battery charge. I just posted the battery voltage reading, its 12.52 volts. So, I disconnect the ignition to see if that is the issue.

The fault code just started about one month ago and when it does the bike lose power for a couple of second while riding, then I am able to continue riding until it does it again. While this is happening, the code continues to flash 32,33,34,35.

The problem started at separate times. The battery issue has been an ongoing problem. In two years, I have replace the battery twice, so I decided to purchase a charger because I was tired of going to a bike shop to have the battery charge. I just posted the battery voltage reading, its 12.52 volts. So, I disconnect the ignition to see if that is the issue.

The fault code just started about one month ago and when it does the bike lose power for a couple of second while riding, then I am able to continue riding until it does it again. While this is happening, the code continues to flash 32,33,34,35.

Your codes...

codes.png

Back