Building a busa-powered single-seat car for the street

Busa_Kar

Registered
I'm planning to build a hayabusa-powered car for the street. I'm shooting for an 800lb weight, which wlll leave me slower than a bike but quicker than just about any car out there. One of my first steps is to source an engine, which will enable me to engineer the rest of the car to fit. I had considered buying a wrecked bike and parting out what I don't need, but due to space/time constraints I think I'll just buy an eBay "engine kit" instead. I plan to do some of the obvious work to it (clutch springs, oil pan) before use, and it may eventually see some boost down the road.

I know just about nothing about these bikes, so I have a few questions:

1) Are there model year ranges to steer clear of? I'm leaning towards Gen 1 for cost and parts availability...
2) If I buy an engine kit, what matching parts should I be sure to get that will be usable? I'm thinking gauge cluster and ignition switch... anything else?
3) If I plan to run boost later, are there certain years that are better suited to it?
4) Any other general tips or suggestions for using the busa drivetrain?

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need. As far as the motor goes ,no you will be fine with all. Early gen 1 had some problems with fuel pumps but you will not be using stock in tank pumps so your good there.

If you are thinking boost later then gen 1 may be best bet. Gen 2 has more stock HP but needs more engine work if your going to boost.

:welcome: to the org and good luck on your project!

I'd say go with a Gen 1 if you are gonna turbo it later down the road ... but then again, I am biased :D

Back