BT's got new skillz...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
Yer ol' pal BT tried out somethin' new today. To those who have done it before it's nothin' really, but I was proud I done it without fuggin' it up. A few weeks ago while ridin' with Ben and William at Cheaha Ben and I talked about different foods that fit our metabolic typing diet plan. He mentioned cookin' roast and how his whole family LOVED it. Ever since then I've craved a nice tender beef roast. Hadn't had any truly GOOD roast since my Mother, God rest her soul, got sick and unable to cook. Man, she could cook! Hence the reason BT ended up bein' a fat ass.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, Ben said that he had started using a pressure cooker to cook the roast. He said that it came out so tender and didn't take all day like it does in a crockpot or slow cooker. Well, today I went out and bought me a pressure cooker. I decided I was gonna learn to cook a good roast even if I fugged up a few chunks of meat gettin' there. Then I stopped by Publix and grabbed a 2.75 pound chuck roast and headed home.

After readin' the instruction manual (yes, I read the instructions, and yes, I'm really a MAN!
laugh.gif
) and some of the recipes that came with it I got started. There wasn't really a recipe in there for what I wanted to do so I only used the liquid measurements and cooking times from a recipe that called for a similar sized chunk o' meat. First I melted a little chunk of butter in the cooker and cooked the roast for about 1 minute on each side in just the butter, not browned, but almost.

Then I added a little salt, garlic powder, and some italian seasoning for flavor. Since I ain't eatin' many carbs, and especially no starchy ones I couldn't put the 'taters, carrots, and onions in there like Momma did. Next I added the water and sealed that baby off. I had to guess at the cooking time based on a couple different recipes. After about 30 minutes of hissin' and spittin' I slid it to a cold eye and released the steam and pressure. When I pulled the lid off the most wonderful aroma poured out and made my mouth water. And hey, what do ya know?!? It didn't cook dry! I got the water right!

I got the roast out, put it onto a plate and I poured some of the resulting stock and broth onto it so that it would soak some of it back in as it cooled. As soon as it had cooled enough not to leave a blister in my mouth I grabbed a fork and knife and tried it. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh my GOD! The knife wasn't needed! The roast was so tender that I could just pull off bites with a fork...
drooling3.gif
The seasoning was dead on, too. It needed NOTHING to be PERFECT!
super.gif

I never would have guessed that ol' BT would get it right the first time. I expected to ruin at least one roast. Turns out the only roast I've had that was better was done by Mom.
biggrin.gif
I'm gonna save some of the broth and stock from this one to use as part of the liquid for the next one. Should be even more flavorful than this one.
wink.gif

Anyway, just thought I'd share my newly acquired domestic skill with ya'll. Wish I could share the roast with ya, too.
beerchug.gif
Ya know, I'm gonna make a good man for some lucky chick one of these days.
laugh.gif

And as usual, I got pics...
biggrin.gif
Here's the shiny new stainless steel cooker. It's a purdy sumbich!
wink.gif

firstroast_01.jpg

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Looks scrumptious! Especially for a guy over here in the desert! Man, BT, that has got to be the cleanest white stove top I have ever seen! Try a couple more recipes and then invite your ridin' friend over. Girls love a man that can cook and do the domestic stuff. I'll have to try it when I get back!
biggrin.gif

Looks scrumptious!  Especially for a guy over here in the desert!  Man, BT, that has got to be the cleanest white stove top I have ever seen!  Try a couple more recipes and then invite your ridin' friend over.  Girls love a man that can cook and do the domestic stuff.  I'll have to try it when I get back!
biggrin.gif
Too bad you ain't close enough to pull up a chair and help me eat this bad boy.
wink.gif
As for the clean cooktop, it's an optical illusion. Just can't see the splattered bacon grease from breakfast!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

that is not a complete meal

yer missing some greens
tounge.gif
Yeah, a small salad would have gone well with it, but I forgot to pick up some lettuce.
rock.gif
Wait, I did have a couple pieces of celery with a little homemade (thanks to granny) pimento cheese spread on it so there WAS a little green and even a little orange to go along with it, I just didn't get pics of it.
wink.gif

Looks pretty good, bro! I hafta confess....beef is my weakness. Especially a sizzling 2lb-er like that.

shid...now I'm hungry and I just ate lunch....

looks good, you should post the secret mix so others on the lo carb diet can duplicate it.....oh yeah and where'd ya get the cooker
wink.gif
cool.gif

Looks pretty good, bro! I hafta confess....beef is my weakness. Especially a sizzling 2lb-er like that.

shid...now I'm hungry and I just ate lunch....
Yeah, I likes me some beef, too! Just had me some of it for breakfast.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091792752 -->

looks good, you should post the secret mix so others on the lo carb diet can duplicate it.....oh yeah and where'd ya get the cooker
wink.gif

cool.gif
Just a 2.75 pound Chuck Roast. I melted a little butter in the cooker and almost browned both sides of the roast, then sprinkled it with salt, garlic powder, and a little italian seasoning. Then I sealed the cooker, got it to full pressure on high heat, then lowered the heat to about 7 (out of ten on my stove) and set the timer for 30 minutes. I think next time I'll try 25 minutes. It's not overdone by any means, but I failed to take into consideration that it continues to cook for a few minutes until it cools. Fresh out of the pot it was perfect. This morning it's a bit more done than I'd prefer. Still not bad though!
wink.gif

Got the cooker at the local Target.

wink.gif

Hrmmm...I'm thinking I'll buy a roast this weekend! Sounds good...

I like cookin' in the old crock pot though...I've heard great things about pressure cooking, but I really enjoy putting a roast with tons of spices, potatoes, onions and carrots in a crock pot and smelling it cook all day...reminds me of Grandma's house!
smile.gif
Plus, I don't have a pressure cooker...
tounge.gif

Thanks BT...I'll have it on Sunday for the carnivores at my house...
smile.gif

smile.gif

Hrmmm...I'm thinking I'll buy a roast this weekend!  Sounds good...

I like cookin' in the old crock pot though...I've heard great things about pressure cooking, but I really enjoy putting a roast with tons of spices, potatoes, onions and carrots in a crock pot and smelling it cook all day...reminds me of Grandma's house!  
smile.gif
tounge.gif

smile.gif
I'm thinkin' about fightin' a poor innocent bull this evening after work. I could cut you off a chunk when I'm done with him if you'd like.
wink.gif

Oh, and please share what you've "heard" about pressure cookin'. You got my attention...
rock.gif

And check yer email.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1091795802 -->

smile.gif

smile.gif
tounge.gif

smile.gif
I'm thinkin' about fightin' a poor innocent bull this evening after work. I could cut you off a chunk when I'm done with him if you'd like.
wink.gif

Oh, and please share what you've "heard" about pressure cookin'. You got my attention...
rock.gif

And check yer email.
biggrin.gif
I'm all over the email...already wrote you back, slowpoke...

Don't get me going on the bull-fighter shid BT...
tounge.gif
You don't need to fight a helpless bull to be tough!
smile.gif

I've just heard it's good to use pressure cookers for meat, that's about it...isn't the new rage cooking turkeys in pressure cookers? My husband talks about it every Thanksgiving, but we've never bought one...supposed to be the best turkey ever...moist, tender, tasty...anyway, that's all I've heard - that it's good!!!
smile.gif

smile.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif
tounge.gif

smile.gif
wink.gif

rock.gif

And check yer email.
biggrin.gif
I'm all over the email...already wrote you back, slowpoke...

Don't get me going on the bull-fighter shid BT...
tounge.gif
 You don't need to fight a helpless bull to be tough!  
smile.gif

I've just heard it's good to use pressure cookers for meat, that's about it...isn't the new rage cooking turkeys in pressure cookers?  My husband talks about it every Thanksgiving, but we've never bought one...supposed to be the best turkey ever...moist, tender, tasty...anyway, that's all I've heard - that it's good!!!  
smile.gif
Ever deep fry a turkey??? some say it is really good and moist.. Never tried it Sounds like what your talking about in pressure cooking it... Maybe will have to try that.. since I am Father Mother Etc... let my son be the taste tester LOL!!!

smile.gif

tounge.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

Back