Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S20

I went ahead and ordered a set today. Iv'e got 4400 miles on the original BT015 and the rear is toast.

Ok, Here is my review and opinion of the new Bridgestone S20's...

I started the day on saturday at 30/30 psi cold temp. That was ok at first when not beginning to really turn it on yet. about the 3rd session right when the temp was getting HOT, I had my first slip of the tire. Coming out of a left hander as getting on the throttle the tire slightly slid out on me but was very smooth and predictable (almost like it meant to do that). It did not even spook me because it was very forgiving. I got back into the pit and the hot pressure was around 38 (TOO HIGH!!!) After adjusting the pressure I went back out and a couple sessions later I had the same thing happen in another left hander. The slide was not spooky at all but just letting you know too be careful or she might let go next time :laugh: ... Well at this point I had in my head that I did not like the tires at all because NEVER did a Q2 do this to me. But I decided to hold off on my final decision and I figured the sliding of the rear was definately due to it being 95 degrees and not finding a good PSI for the tire.

Now for sunday.... This was a MUCH better day as far as traction goes. The 3rd session right about the time the heat got to it's peak I set my best lap of 1:06.7... I was feeling a lot better with the tire and it was not sliding on me like the day before. I was able to get it do a good pressure that made me comfortable pushing it hard. For the remainder of the day I was running consistant 1:07 laps in the Advanced group. There were a couple of time were I could feel the tire about to slide or just doing what it needed to do to keep me from crashing.

At the end of the day, I had changed my mind about the tires. I realized that I was able to run a respectablt Advanced pace at a track I have never been to before on a tire that I have never run before (and this is a STREET tire). Because of this, I realized the tire actually did it's job well. Would I choose a set of the S20's over the Q2 if both were sitting right in front of me? No, but given the S20 is currently $50 cheaper than Q2's, I would definately buy and run the S20's again. (actually bought 2 sets and will be running them at my next track day)

Overall, the Q2 still holds the #1 spot to me but the S20 performed VERY WELL and would not have any trouble recommending them. Obviously I cannot comment on mileage or treadwear as I ran about 250 miles on the track this weekend and the back tire is NONEXISTANT, front tire looks great tho.

Hope this helps.....

Tiller- for street riding if the 2 where in front of you which one would you pick?

Well I have 0 street miles on the S20 so it's hard to say. I know that S20 gave me PLENTY of confidence in pushing the tire. I mean I was running an Advanced pace my first time ever at the track so that says something about the confidence.

It would come down to what kind of mileage I could get out of the S20. I know the mileage of the Q2 for spirited riding SUCKS. So if I could at least get better mileage out of the S20 then I would go with it. That doesn't mean that I prefer it but if it would last longer I would run it. Also right now since the S20's are $50 cheaper than the Q2's I would get S20's for sure.

I still LOVE the Q2's but the S20's proved to be a GREAT tire for an even better price. Hope this helps :beerchug:

I had my S20's mounted on Friday and headed up to the mountains today. Rt 33 here in Va. crosses the Blue Ridge Pkwy and goes into W.V., some pretty serious twistys. My talent level is no where near some of you track guys, but I could reach the sliding point of the stock bt015's pretty easily. The road is 55mph with the yellow cautions at every corner ranging from 25-40mph. On the tight 25 mph turns I could enter at around 50mph on the bt015's and get a little slide through the corner. By the end of the day I was entering these corners at 60-65 and rolling on the throttle thru the corner with the S20's and I could not get them to slip. It would just bite. This tire is better than my talent level, I'm just curious as to how many miles I can get out of one.

Then my prediction of less than 2K will be correct. I never got over 2K out of a BT-016 and could only nurse about 3500 out of a BT-023.

I am now using my second set of S020. The first set of tires was able to hold about 3100 miles. The front tire is still ok. I had the BT16 which lasted much less. Better grip for the S20 with some thrills on curves. Big disappointment for the Pirelli Angel, which cracked in the middle. Suzuki had warned me that this tire was not for the Busa.

FYI: I ride more often over 10kRPM then under :)

I work for Bridgestone and I will be putting these onto my 2001 shortly, If they such believe me you all will know! On the other hand, if they rock, you all will be the first to know!
-D

I just found out that the S20 is the best tire for me to use while in Germany on the autobahn and the twisted back roads. This not only came from one service shop, but four of them. I will try them on my next tire change.

Just put one (S20) on the back of my Busa.

Mate had a near new one with a puncture, wasn't game to run a plugged tyre.
I'm happy with them plugged from the inside out and it can not blow out. I was after a 190/55
anyway as I didn't like the 50 that was on it. Done a couple of rides and I like it.

image.jpg
screenshot software

I ran a set of these tires. The front is still good and I am now ordering a second rear tire after 2,000 miles. I ran factory tire pressure (42psi iirc) and ride only for fun in the twisties and top speed runs. I am a little disappointed in how fast the center wore out and how much tread is left on the rest of the tire considering I do most of my miles in the hills.

I am wondering if it is really required to use such a high tire pressure as the manufacturer recommended? I suspect that has somethign to do with how fast they wore out.

I am also wondering if I can bump up to the 200/50 size from the 190/50 on my 04 Busa without rubbing?

CAM00815.jpg

CAM00816.jpg

I ran a set of these tires. The front is still good and I am now ordering a second rear tire after 2,000 miles. I ran factory tire pressure (42psi iirc) and ride only for fun in the twisties and top speed runs. I am a little disappointed in how fast the center wore out and how much tread is left on the rest of the tire considering I do most of my miles in the hills.

I am wondering if it is really required to use such a high tire pressure as the manufacturer recommended? I suspect that has somethign to do with how fast they wore out.

I am also wondering if I can bump up to the 200/50 size from the 190/50 on my 04 Busa without rubbing?

Lower your air pressure, that is part of the reason you only made it 2000 miles on it. I run my air pressure around 34-36 psi (cold) for rear and 36-38 psi (cold) for the front. I have ran many sets of the S-20 and I usually get around 3800-4300 miles out of a rear (I did have one that only ran around 2800 miles for some odd reason). The air pressure will raise a couple of lbs when hot. The front will usually last 2-3 rear tires depending on how hard I push it.

Why would you want to ?

B-King has a 200/50 as stock.
Busa and B-King both have fairly tame geometry.
I have changed both rears on my Busa and B-King to taller 190/55's.
No a huge difference but defiantly a little step in the right direction.

Taking the 200/50's OFF B-Kings to fit 190/55's is very common.

Why would you want to ?

B-King has a 200/50 as stock.
Busa and B-King both have fairly tame geometry.
I have changed both rears on my Busa and B-King to taller 190/55's.
No a huge difference but defiantly a little step in the right direction.

Taking the 200/50's OFF B-Kings to fit 190/55's is very common.

Just looking for a little extra traction but I suppose it would make the roll much slower? Why would you go for the 190/55?

Just looking for a little extra traction but I suppose it would make the roll much slower? Why would you go for the 190/55?

If you're wanting better traction I would drop your air pressure. The 190/55 will give you quicker/better lean in.

For traction look at your pressure and tyre type / compound.
You won't gain anything by going to a 200.

I like a slightly taller tyre as it helps with the Busa's ground clearance
and makes it steer a fraction quicker. A very slight lift in the rear.

For traction look at your pressure and tyre type / compound.
You won't gain anything by going to a 200.

I like a slightly taller tyre as it helps with the Busa's ground clearance
and makes it steer a fraction quicker. A very slight lift in the rear.

Went ahead and got the 190/55 S20R tire, it's a bit larger but it fits. My turn in got a bit sharper, easier to flick the bike into a corner. Also now running 36psi front and rear, the busa is feeling more and more sporty!

I work for Bridgestone and I will be putting these onto my 2001 shortly, If they such believe me you all will know! On the other hand, if they rock, you all will be the first to know!
-D

I'm now on my second rear tire and I must say the S20 delivers more than enough confidence in the corners as well as the straights. Rain traction is awesome as an added bonus, I highly recommend them!!

-D

Back