brakes on busa

joe0523

Registered
I recently wrecked my 04 cbr 600 (not my fault) and switched over to an 07 busa, i have only put a few hundred miles on it so far and i really do like it. however, i notice a big difference in the brakes. The busa does not break as well as the honda did. i know it is a much heavier bike but was wondering if there are any aftermarket parts that would make the brakes better. thanks for any info.

ebc hh pads
steel braided lines
galfer rotors
brembo radial master cylinder
carbon fiber wheels

that should do it
beerchug.gif

I hear all this shid about the Busa's brakes, and I'm sure they leave something to desire, however I had to emergency brake once at very high speeds and this bike stops when panic set in. Everything Charles said for about half the cost of the bike. Enjoy.
super.gif

I completely agree that the busa brakes SUCK. I am upgrading to radial mount calipers with a brembo master for a much much better system. The lines and pads are good, but with continuous high speed braking, they will fade badly. The stock brakes on the busa are mid-90's technology and we have come a LONG way since then.

the brakes on my new 06 Busa are the best on any bike i ever owned. of course i've been riding harleys up till now. everything is "relative". do you want to stop or do you want to GO.
race.gif

I want to steal and transplant a complete front end off a 1098s to the Busa! No really!

330mm rotors, Brembo monoblocs, Marchesini rim, Ohlins fork, Radial masters. Nirvana!
beerchug.gif

But on a more realistic note I just did the front Brakes with a set of EBC HH pads that I got from Vman (I already had the braided lines) and it was a huge difference in power and feel! And a heck of a lot cheaper than my first notion.
laugh.gif

I was reading something that piqued my interest yesterday. A theory that the new 08 Busa will most likely come out with the suspenders and rolling stock seen on the new B-king. Which at first blush seems a bit unremarkable, though logical. I would be happier if they stuck the 07 GSXR1k front end under it with some stiffer springs!

The brakes do require a little more pull vs my 750. But after I ride the vmax, the busa's brakes are just great!

thanks for the help (and sarcasm
rock.gif
). Im not bit--ing about the brakes on the busa im just used to stopping alot easier, i already wrecked one bike this year and dont want to make it two! Id rather spend a little $ and have the brakes work a little better which is what i am used to. i think i will replace the pads and lines which should be enough to make a little difference. thanks again for the help.

Hey ... have you tried setting the brake dial to "1"? Try that and see how it feels to 'ya.

I've been wanting better brakes for a long time. Pads and steel lines are an improvement but try riding a motard and then tell me the busa brakes are good.

I can vouch for the stainless steel brake lines and the EBC HH pads. However....I wouldnt do the EBC on the front again. Ill go with stock next time. Why you may ask? Well, heres why. The other day I had the occasion to do an emergency test of my brakes. The lady in front of me dynamited her brakes to turn at just the time I was checking my left mirror and shoulder for a lane change. I locked them up. Thats right. I said them. Front and rear. I didnt like it. At all. It got real squirrelly for a second there. I think I preferred the softer OEM pads. I did get the tail end up once with those though. And are they supposed to "whine" like they do? My EBC pads are really noisy. Its actually kind of annoying.

Any pad will lock up if you panic bad enough.
smile.gif

Practice using the setup you have, so when it counts you have the muscle memory to stop it right. I have the same setup you do and have never locked them up. I have pulled the rear tire off the ground!

Better to have too much brake than too little!

You can't compare a motard vs the busa. No brake pad in the world will make up for the difference in weight of the two. To be honest, after my first ride I brake cleaned the rotors. I think I should have done that before I even rode the bike. There appeared to be some type of greasy substance on the brake rotors, like corrosion protective stuff. Oh thats right, I didn't have to pay 'dealer prep'.

From what I've been reading, I would suggest getting your suspension setup correctly as well. I'm about to have my front springs changed out and make sure the sag and everything is set properly.

When I wrecked my bike a while back, it was after locking the front brake and having to catch it twice while trying to stop. I got it down from about 60MPH to 20MPH before i popped the back of a mini van. I really believe now that had I just set the preload properly before that, to reduce the dive under hard braking I could have gotten it stopped that morning. Hopefully with new springs and proper settings I won't have the same problem again.

I expect the Pilot Power I'm putting on the front to help as well...

-Chris

Back