Rear brake

linus

Registered
I've had my 04 for 2 weeks and 600 miles.  The rear brake is not as good as a drum brake.  Do any or you have this problem?  I guess different pucks are in order.  What and where should I get and go?
linus

Rear Brake, BRAKE. Is this maybe why your having some problems? You keep lookin for the Break instead of the Brake... Just Playing... But that is why I am editing your topic Title...

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080372792 -->

Why you usin' the rear brake on a bike? Most braking should be done with the front anyway. If the rear grabs that much you'll just be skiddin' and slidin' anyway...
rock.gif

Yeah BT! Where's that infamous "Southern Hospitality"?

Welcome to the obsession Linus!

The rear brake on the Busa is primarily for show.  (Just like any sport bike)  Please watch any sport bike under heavy braking.  The rear wheel isn't even touching the ground.

You have two Floating rotor, 6 piston calipers up front.  Use them to your hearts content.  Also, please check into the MSF safety course.  Untowld gobs of good info on stopping a bike.

The best thing to do with the rear brake is use it for holding position on a hill or slowing down in sand/gravel/wet.  If yo want to look fancy, get yerself one of dem cool wazoo lazer cut rear rotors.

Good luck Linus!

<!--EDIT|Mikey D
Reason for Edit: "cause I wanted to!"|1080353041 -->

Rear brakes always suck. All of my bikes had useless rear brkes. The only thing they are good for is to warm up the back hub,

If the rear grabs that much you'll just be skiddin' and slidin' anyway...
rock.gif
you aint lyin BT i just did that last month and she jerked to the right threw me off it and we both skidded down I-95
Dang PJ, you holdin' out on us bro? Didn't know you went down.
rock.gif

The only use I know for the rear binders is to pull a wheelie back to earth when it's gettin' too high and about to 12 o'clock. Never used it for that but they say it works. I ain't got the guts to wheelie that high in the first place!
wink.gif

rock.gif

Mine is piss poor on my bike have tried to lock it up different times and it wont do it. I have found sometime both brakes arent enough. You know 160 over a hill and radar detector screams at you. SUCKS

I've had my 04 for 2 weeks and 600 miles.  The rear break is not as good as a drum break.  Do any or you have this problem?  I guess different pucks are in order.  What and where should I get and go?
linus
linus -

Rear brakes suck.. Mine work great!!! they fricken lock up every time I hit them hard.... Like previous posts have stated (and I have learned the hard way right Mikey) your braking power is in your front brake.. You can stop in half the distance using your front brake vice your back brake, and even shorter if you learn to use both.

I remember all this crap from my MSF course but did not put it to proper use when I rear-ended Mikey D because all I used was my rear brake...

Since then I have been practicing using the front brake almost solely, and working in using the back break for a little bit of stability.

I have even faced one of my biggest fears and I am using my front brakes while leaning it through a turn.

Front brakes are where it is at in my opinion... All the rear brake is going to do is put you into a rear wheel skid, and if the bike gets cocked during the skid and you let off the brake it might throw you.

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080365044 -->

I have found sometime both brakes arent enough. You know 160 over a hill and radar detector screams at you. SUCKS
Yeah, I guess it'd be hard to feel like you ever had enough braking power in that situation hooken. I haven't ran up on popo goin' fast yet. Let me ask you this... Does yer butthole grab a chunk outta the seat cover or what? I imagine mine would. I'd have to order a new Tobin saddle. Mine would either stink beyond cleanin' or have a little round chunk torn out!
laugh.gif

I've had my 04 for 2 weeks and 600 miles.  The rear break is not as good as a drum break.  Do any or you have this problem?  I guess different pucks are in order.  What and where should I get and go?
linus
linus -

Rear brakes suck.. Mine work great!!! they fricken lock up every time I hit them hard.... Like previous posts have stated (and I have learned the hard way right Mikey) your braking power is in your front brake.. You can stop in half the distance using your front brake vice your back brake, and even shorter if you learn to use both.

I remember all this crap from my MSF course but did not put it to proper use when I rear-ended Mikey D because all I used was my rear brake...

Since then I have been practicing using the front brake almost solely, and working in using the back break for a little bit of stability.

I have even faced one of my biggest fears and I am using my front brakes while leaning it through a turn.

Front brakes are where it is at in my opinion... All the rear brake is going to do is put you into a rear wheel skid, and if the bike gets cocked during the skid and you let off the brake it might throw you.
Amen!

Can you say painful dents in the gas tank.These brakes do work OK I guess. All of that and he wasnt shootin me. OH well better luck next time. That brings up a good question BT how do I find out what the max fine is in my state for speeding. I have been told its a simple misdemeanor with a fine of 150 dollars no matter how fast Iam giong? That is how do I find out with out the paper work?

I have found sometime both brakes arent enough. You know 160 over a hill and radar detector screams at you. SUCKS
Yeah, I guess it'd be hard to feel like you ever had enough braking power in that situation hooken. I haven't ran up on popo goin' fast yet. Let me ask you this... Does yer butthole grab a chunk outta the seat cover or what? I imagine mine would. I'd have to order a new Tobin saddle. Mine would either stink beyond cleanin' or have a little round chunk torn out!
laugh.gif
BT,
Who you trying to kid?

You roll up on a LEO at a buck sixety & thry're gonna say,
"Cool bike Bro, have a nice day!"

And BTW - if your sphincter is strong enough to tear a circle out of a leather seat...

Yer gonna make a lot of money, and it ain't gonna be in the law enforcement industry!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

rear brakes are usefull . Use 'em for trail brakin' . They will help you too settle her down .

if yer rear anchor wont skid you , anytime anywhere...

YOU HAVE A BROBLEM .

Thats the bottom line . There is zero weight back there .

If yer busa rear brake wont skid....YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOUR R/BRAKE .

air in line
glazed pads
faulty master
pedal misajustment
contaminated pads and/or rotor
etc etc etc

take yer pick....rear brakes on a sport bike should skid at will .

'cept for them BMW ABS ugly thin's.....

Hi guys!  Thanks for all the comments.  Rubbersidedown knows what he is talking about.  I agree that 90% of braking is in the front but there are times, as in trail braking, that you need a good rear brake.  I'm not new to riding and have about 600,000 miles under my butt.  However, when buying a performance bike, like the Busa, one should expect performance brakes at both ends.  The rear tire is not just for acceleration and holding speed.  Try using the front brake when there is a spill of ethelene glycol, oil, or diesel on the road at a stop sign or stop light.  Also, when you are power on and the front end comes up and you don't want to slow down, the rear brake will put the front tire down.  I have 9 motorcycles.  One is a 66 Triumph and it's rear brake is much better than my 04 Busa.  I have an 02 FJR that has always had great brakes at both ends.  I love the Busa although my wife lays claim to ownership and ridership of the Busa.  And yes, she can ride it and any other bike very hard.  From the way some of you talk about how you ride with the rear brake, I would guess she would stuff you in a corner.

Now, who makes good rear pads for the Busa and where do I go to get new ones?
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah.. forgot my manners also.... Welcome to the board

Wow.... I appologize for giving you input... I am not worthy... I guess I should have kept my comments to myself...I suppose I should make sure I know what I am talking about before I open my mouth next time...  600,000 miles on a bike... wow you must be an awesome rider!!!! I feel humbled... whtevr

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080430174 -->

I've had my 04 for 2 weeks and 600 miles.  The rear brake is not as good as a drum brake.  Do any or you have this problem?  I guess different pucks are in order.  What and where should I get and go?
linus

Rear Brake, BRAKE.  Is this maybe why your having some problems?  You keep lookin for the Break instead of the Brake...   Just Playing... But that is why I am editing your topic Title...
Ok smart guy here's your original post minus the mis-spellin' of brake which was corrected for ya by Net Nanny. Please point out the portions of this that should have indicated to us that you were anything but a newbie to ridin'...
rock.gif
We can't guess yer experience level here, dude. You had one post, had busa for 2 weeks, 600 miles, asked yer question in a way that made you sound like a newbie to ridin', no clue whatsoever as to what your experience level is.

I don't think anybody here meant to insult your intelligence. All replies were meant to help the type of rider we (I) ***THOUGHT*** we were tryin' to help based on your original post. Had I known you knew what you were doin' on a bike and still had brake problems or questions I would not have replied other than to welcome you to the board. I would have waited for someone who knows more about brakes to help ya out with yer problem.

Now that we know how good you and yer wife are at ridin' (rolls eyes) maybe a trip to the dealer to have the brakes checked out under warranty is in order if they are not working to your expectations? I'd like to think that someone with your level of experience on bikes would have known to have the brakes checked at the first sign of trouble. I mean that's what I'd do in yer situation and I don't have anywhere near the experience you have on a bike. If everything checks out ok then you'll know you need to work on beefin' 'em up.
rock.gif

One last note. I hope the flavor of your reply was due to our apparent misinterpretation of your original post and not how you always respond to those who try and help you out based on what you give 'em to work with.
wink.gif
Either way, good luck with your problem. Later...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080405736 -->

rock.gif

linus

Rear Brake, BRAKE.  Is this maybe why your having some problems?  You keep lookin for the Break instead of the Brake...   Just Playing... But that is why I am editing your topic Title...
Ok smart guy here's your original post minus the mis-spellin' of brake which was corrected for ya by Net Nanny. Please point out the portions of this that should have indicated to us that you were anything but a newbie to ridin'...
rock.gif
We can't guess yer experience level here, dude. You had one post, had busa for 2 weeks, 600 miles, asked yer question in a way that made you sound like a newbie to ridin', no clue whatsoever as to what your experience level is.

I don't think anybody here meant to insult your intelligence. All replies were meant to help the type of rider we (I) ***THOUGHT*** we were tryin' to help based on your original post. Had I known you knew what you were doin' on a bike and still had brake problems or questions I would not have replied other than to welcome you to the board. I would have waited for someone who knows more about brakes to help ya out with yer problem.

Now that we know how good you and yer wife are at ridin' (rolls eyes) maybe a trip to the dealer to have the brakes checked out under warranty is in order if they are not working to your expectations? I'd like to think that someone with your level of experience on bikes would have known to have the brakes checked at the first sign of trouble. I mean that's what I'd do in yer situation and I don't have anywhere near the experience you have on a bike. If everything checks out ok then you'll know you need to work on beefin' 'em up.
rock.gif

One last note. I hope the flavor of your reply was due to our apparent misinterpretation of your original post and not how you always respond to those who try and help you out based on what you give 'em to work with.
wink.gif
Either way, good luck with your problem. Later...
Nice reply BT - very proffesional and helpful.. unlike my sarcastic post lol.. seriously.. good reply BT...

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080430338 -->

rock.gif

Back