Brake Rotor replacement

foresteronw

Registered
I was sitting here wondering the other day, how do you know when it's time to replace your brake rotors? Is there a check you can do or do you just go by how it feels.

I think you would have to take it in and have it measured. All auto rotors can be resurfaced but there is a limit as to how much metal can be removed to get it smooth again. I have never done it on a bike but I would think you could do the same thing. I don't think I ever saw a spec for that in the service manual. Hope that helps some.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118537772 -->

I think you would have to take it in and have it measured. All auto rotors can be resurfaced but there is a limit as to how much metal can be removed to get it smooth again. I have never done it on a bike but I would think you could do the same thing. I don't think I ever saw a spec for that in the service manual. Hope that helps some.
Never heard of anyone "turning" motorcycle rotors, that doesnt meant it cant be done though. NJ.

Never heard of anyone "turning" motorcycle rotors, that doesnt meant it cant be done though. NJ.
Yeah, that is sort of what I was trying to say. I don't think I ever saw a spec for it anywhere. Can you think of a reason why it couldn't be done? Are they thinner than an auto rotor and therefore not able to be turned?
rock.gif

NO WAY can you turn a motorcycle brake rotor. They are so thin to begin with that heat would be very high and warp it in a short time.

Unless the rotor is warped you run them until they are past minimal thickness which is STAMPED ON THE ROTOR itself.

You can use a micrometer to measure the thickness and if its too thin buy some aftermarkets.

The factory rotors should last a while under street riding conditions.

Hope this helps

Does the rotor wear out in the life time of the bike
rock.gif
Never had a bike for so long as the rotor to go bad ....
blush.gif

I had the ( rear rotor ) go bad in just over ..(20K miles ) ..( never felt right since new ) and btw.. if you happen to have the 5 yr Warranty ( I put on 18K my first yr ) I found out that the Warranty covers said ( Rotors) ..so off i went to the Soosuk shop ..n happly saved ( 230.oo )
cool.gif

I just turned 19,000 miles and my brakes feel "shitty". This is why I'm asking. I've replaced the pads and installed new lines and bled them well. The brake lever feel is good, nice and solid but they just don't seem to stop as good as I think they should.

I have just over 67k miles on mine and I'm going to need new front rotors on the next pad change. You can just feel a little lip on the edge of the rotors. My mechanic sez you can't turn them. Mostly freeway miles, 4 track days, and lots of canyon riding. I still have the original rear pads.

I just turned 19,000 miles and my brakes feel "shitty".  This is why I'm asking.  I've replaced the pads and installed new lines and bled them well.  The brake lever feel is good, nice and solid but they just don't seem to stop as good as I think they should.
Might be time for a rebuild on the brake assemblys themselves.... How old is your bike? Firm lever is one thing but if the piston assembly is in need of a rebuild you won't be getting a full bite on the rotor.

Back