Brake/cluth fluid

samw5

Registered
Just wonder if I can use some Valvoline Syn Power brake fluid. Doesn't say DOT4 on it but it does say it exceeds both DOT 3 & 4.

Have a spare new bottle lying around.

If it says Dot 4 then you're GTG
beerchug.gif

I would not mix it if does not say DOT4.. exceeds specs is nice but still not a good idea to mix if you are unsure..

can i flush the system and fill it with this? it's only for the cluth, haven't touched the brakes.

1.jpg

You shouldn't use syn. fluid, read your manual, that's what dot5 is syn. Something about brake failure. I know it doesn't absorb moisture, it just lays on the bottom.

dot 5 is silicone based and that i know isn't compatible with dot3 or 4 systems.

any dot3&4 systems will absorb moisture. From what I've been reading that Valvoline SynPower brake fluid should be fine. Some even say that it works better that some DOT4 fluid.

In any case since drumminman's been using it for a while I think it should be ok for the clutch.

oh and here are some specs that I've been able to dig:

DRY: 401F -- WET: 284F --- DOT3
DRY: 550F -- WET: 290F --- FORD HD
DRY: 527F -- WET: 302F --- AP RACING 551
DRY: 446F -- WET: 311F --- DOT4
DRY: 502F -- WET: 343F --- VALVOLINE SYNPOWER
DRY: 509F -- WET: 365F --- MOTUL 5.1
DRY: 536F -- WET: 392F --- ATE SUPERBLUE/TYP200
DRY: 590F -- WET: 410F --- AP RACING 600
DRY: 593F -- WET: 420F --- MOTUL RBF600
DRY: 610F -- WET: 421F --- NEO-SYNTHETIC SUPER DOT 610
DRY: 590F -- WET: 518F --- CASTROL SRF

Looks like the Syn-Power isn't the worse from the bunch.

it does say it is compatible with dot3 and dot4 fluids (can mix) but I am not much of a fan of mixing these types of fluids.

Non hydroscopic fluids do work better in race applications as they typically have higher boiling points. Bad part is posted above, they do not allow moisture to mix with fluid and so it pools at the lowest point of the system. Corrosion is a problem unless you keep the system cleaned and flushed regularly..

I think I would just get conventional type 4 and be done with it...

agreed, i think i'll just flush the system for now, use this new bottle and get real DOT4 down the road. I'm not a fan of mixing anything either... always bad news!

now I do not recall seeing the temp specs as I posted... sneaky man sneaky
lol1.gif
great chart, where did you find it?

Back