BMW S1000RR does 8.49 @ 159 w/bolt-ons

Huh? The BMW won the masterbike shootout.

It depends on how you interpret the results. Based on all the lap times of all the riders the BMW posted the fastest and gets the number one ranking but when they take out the pro riders and compare the "average" riders then the Aprilia is the fastest. The Aprilia is also the choice of the testers when you read the summary of the article and the rider rating of 8.5 vs only 7.4 for the BMW. As I interpret the article that means the Aprilia is the favorite and best even if its fastest lap time was not as fast as the Bimmer.

I also agree tha sooner or later the insurance companies will put the brakes on the horsepower war. They did it with snowmobiles and ATVs years ago by not insuring them or making it very expensive. They could do it with bikes at any time. Insuring a 200RWP street bike for $2000 a year is not unreasonable.......

I hope it doesn't happen, but I can see it. Riders with no gear, and the constant (all bike forums approved) speeding will cost the bike community dearly in the future. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out over the next 10 years.

I'm guessing the problem is you could throw the same mods on a gen 2 and still be a couple ticks slower than the BMW. Wether the BMW is stock doesn't really matter too much. Time for Suzuki to step it up! :D

The Gen-II has gone 8's with basic bolt-on's (stock wheelbase), has the BMW done that...?

Who ever said the BMW was a nice looking bike? I think is butt ugly. Not symetrical. I'm all about symetry. 2 different size lights.

The bikes are 2 different animals. No comparison, hands down.
Now take the GSXR1000 and do similar things, track test the both of them, I'll be curious on that. :thumbsup:

I dont know why everyone is ranting about this.Its like tubbing out a Ferrari to run the qtr. WHY!!!:rofl: Apples to oranges.Only thing common is they both have 2 wheels.LMAO!!

Yup the bike is so great that is why it won the FIM Superbike World Championship last year right? O wait it did not, it only managed to finish at 13th place :moon:

The bike is so great that it is leading the FIM Superbike World Championship this year..... O no it is only in 7th place :moon:

Guess since its the fastest bike in the magazines then it will be the bike to beat on the MDRA, Mirock racing and other drag racing organizations..... Highly doubtful.

I like the way the bike definately ups the performance production level for all manufactures but it has not accomplished anything. Lets see if they make the bike for 10 years and not have major changes to the engine or go without any recalls like the Busa did.:laugh:

.....and it finished in 4th place out of 5 bikes in the Motorcyclist Euro Superbike shootout. Boy, the reign as king sure was a short one....:laugh:

Trust me, Suzuki is working frantically on something in Hamamatsucho. Since 1963 and the X-6 Hiustler, Zooks have always been the kings of speed. You can bet you will see an intense devleopment of the Gixxer 1000 and a 1.5 liter busa with 200+ ponies and all the electronic gizmos needed to shut down that ugly German machine...

Who ever said the BMW was a nice looking bike? I think is butt ugly. Not symetrical. I'm all about symetry. 2 different size lights.

The bikes are 2 different animals. No comparison, hands down.
Now take the GSXR1000 and do similar things, track test the both of them, I'll be curious on that. :thumbsup:

A quarter mile is a quarter mile anyway you slice it...???

Trust me, Suzuki is working frantically on something in Hamamatsucho. Since 1963 and the X-6 Hiustler, Zooks have always been the kings of speed. You can bet you will see an intense devleopment of the Gixxer 1000 and a 1.5 liter busa with 200+ ponies and all the electronic gizmos needed to shut down that ugly German machine...

Based on what...the fact that it took them 10 YEARS to throw an 8+ horsepower
crumb the way of the busa :rofl: The once a decade "update' barely puts it
on par with the 14...the 14 is still smoother with better brakes.

Suzuki didn't even care enough about busa owners to throw new brakes in
parts bin...how hard is that, how much R&D would that take...NADA...

enjoy the kool-aid...

I am currently at the track with the BMW that Brock and Keith Dennis are racing now. Unlike most Supersport bikes this one is truly going fast with only bolt on parts.

In AMA there are Busa's in the same class that have everything done to them you are allowed to do which is very little and none are running as quickly as this bike. So far Rickey Gadson holds the 1/4 mile record in Super Sport with a ZX-14 at 8.907. That record will more than likely be retired soon.

The fact of the matter is the BMW is truly fast on its as it is. Just wait until the aftermarket companies come on line.

BTW this bike is not using traction control either.
Dennis and Brock.JPG

Dennis and Brock.JPG

Last edited:
No I am not trying to justify anything. I like horsepower as much as the next guy trust me. I just know that any day now the legislature will start putting restrictions on these bikes. I mean let's get real for a minute, there isn't a cop car in the world that could catch the bike as it is.

You know john law is has been complaining about that for years. The death rate continues to go up because people who don't know how to ride to begin with buy these machines and crank them up to 186 and die.

I mean the writing is on the wall, everyday on here you see multiple posts of people saying "I almost wrecked, I dropped my bike, I got a ticket in the middle of town, etc. etc." Do you think people who are new to motorcycles, (most of the ones who post things like this are) need a 200 hp motorcycle to feed the monster that is the media?

When I bought my new CBX in 1979 it was an 11.4 street bike. The first at 100% stock. It prompted a public speech against powerful bikes by the then head of the NHTSA, Joan Claybrook.
The cars at this point in time are experiencing unheard of HP gains. If anything reins in the Power race, it will be the Insurance companies. The Gov does not need to to do it. The HP race will only continue until you can't
afford to insure ( and therefore register them ).
I am not saying that I agree with this. I have had a minimum of one fast bike and one fast car simultaneously since 1972.

Last edited:
Based on what...the fact that it took them 10 YEARS to throw an 8+ horsepower
crumb the way of the busa :rofl: The once a decade "update' barely puts it
on par with the 14...the 14 is still smoother with better brakes.

Suzuki didn't even care enough about busa owners to throw new brakes in
parts bin...how hard is that, how much R&D would that take...NADA...

enjoy the kool-aid...

Just a question: Do you even OWN a Busa? If so, why? You are the most negative person I have seen on these boards as all you ever seem to do is rag on Suzuki and rag on the Busa....you appear to hate everything about both and rarely ever having anything good to say unless of course you are talking about the competition. If I hated my bike as much as you seem to I think I would sell it and buy something else...unless you are just one of these folks who thrives on the negative side of life and just likes beotching all day long?

I am currently at the track with the BMW that Brock and Keith Dennis are racing now. Unlike most Supersport bikes this one is truly going fast with only bolt on parts.

In AMA there are Busa's in the same class that have everything done to them you are allowed to do which is very little and none are running as quickly as this bike. So far Rickey Gadson holds the 1/4 mile record in Super Sport with a ZX-14 at 8.907. That record will more than likely be retired soon.

The fact of the matter is the BMW is truly fast on its as it is. Just wait until the aftermarket companies come on line.

View attachment 191098

You can only go as fast as the RULES allow in some of those classes... ;)

With that said, I hope Brock and crew FLY on the new BMW... :beerchug:

Just a question: Do you even OWN a Busa? If so, why? You are the most negative person I have seen on these boards as all you ever seem to do is rag on Suzuki and rag on the Busa....you appear to hate everything about both and rarely ever having anything good to say unless of course you are talking about the competition. If I hated my bike as much as you seem to I think I would sell it and buy something else...unless you are just one of these folks who thrives on the negative side of life and just likes beotching all day long?

??? Allrighty then, here we go...there is no hate involved, what you catagorize as negativity
I say is realism (No kool-aid drank here), call it a blessing or a curse (I see things AS THEY ARE).

There are a lot of great bikes and the Busa is the most awesome IMHO, that's
why I own one (3,600 some odd posts...do ya think). I just think as loyal as Busa owners are,
we deserved better than a warmed over "update" (since it's the only one IN A DECADE).
Am I tougher on Suzuki and the Busa...you bet, I expect better...no I expect and demand the best.

The other issue I take a slight exception too, is not only the fact of lack of new innovation
in new models and you can't even get current year old models. I'm sorry if these
glaring incompetance pokes holes in the dillusional Suzuki Godhood of can do no
wrong.

When in the face of these facts, someone touts how the genuis of Suzuki has
something special up their sleve, just wait and "trust me",...show me a glimmer
of evidence...something.

Like it or not the Beemer is quite a feat of technology and innovation.

Another example, take the Concours...already the best Sport Tourer IMHO, Kawasaki
listened to IT'S LOYAL CUSTOMERS and improved already the best sport tourer,
remolded the fairing to move heat away from the rider, added heated grips, and
added traction control.

We all know the Gen I brakes suck. In 10 years did Suzuki even slightly improve
the Bus...nope, just raked in the money. Finally, after a decade our big update...
the brakes still aren't up to the 14s (which was designed 2 years PRIOR)
and liters are still hounding us...

Sorry, Suzuki's business model just doesn't impress and they seem to be bringing
up the rear...

Now you must have not read this post either? Also have you seen the bmw in ss trim swb run 8sec pass yet? Why are we comparing a bike that weight 60lb less? There are to many variables to compare the 2 bikes imo. HTP and Jeremy Teasley set Record - Psychobike.com - Motorcycle Drag Racing Headquarters

View attachment 191098

Last edited:
Now you must have not read this post either? Also have you seen the bmw in ss trim swb run 8sec pass yet? Why are we comparing a bike that weight 60lb less? There are to many variables to compare the 2 bikes imo. HTP and Jeremy Teasley set Record - Psychobike.com - Motorcycle Drag Racing Headquarters

Because...a quarter mile is a quarter mile.

The busa was desinged to be the premier land speed cruise missle, top
speed motorcycle/quarter mile king BAR NONE...and held the title for many years...
Even after the "update", that is no longer the case.

And how do we "justify" that fact...by saying the bikes aren't really comparable ???

A race is a race and the quarter mile should be "OUR" race. Yeah we give up
60 lbs but also have a 350cc advantage. Are you guys saying 350cc can't make
up for 60lbs ??? Not to mention whilst liters are locked in to 1000cc or under,
the busa braintrust could have slammed it with 1500 cc (or whatever) instead
of using the same case and just a longer stroke (read less money spent).

and...AND if the new beemer is tearing it up in the quarter...it'll definately eat
our lunch on the track.

I don't understand the apples to oranges analogy...if you want to be king...it's not
conditional, it's king of ALL (at least it was for many years).

In Super Sport trim the bike has not run in the 8's yet. I was there the weekend Ryan ran the 8 second pass and the bike was in mostly SS trim with the exception of an extended swingarm. Unfortunately Ryan had an accident in SS qualifying and was not able to race the bike with the exteded swingarm removed.

I can assure you with Keith Dennis on the bike they will get the bike in the 8's footshifting included.

Like the previous post mentioned, when comparing the fastest bikes weight makes no difference, whoever gets down the track first obviously has the best package. Right now the BMW in with Brock's bolt on mods seems to be doing the trick. A Busa or ZX-14 with the same mods can't touch it.

My guess is this weekend Keith will be feeling the BMW out currently after speaking with him the bike is a handful and wants to stand up off the line with all the power. Once he figures that out I predict that bike will dominate the class.

Back