BMW M5, whatcha know?

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Well.... Ive been thinkin about a new car lately, I still Love my Scooby Doo, but hey, V8's are just cool. So, been thinkin about an M5. Seems that the early 2k's are in my price range. Ive just started lookin and reading about em, but I figured I check in here. I know someone here has one, I wanna say Skydvr, but not sure, its one of TN area members.:laugh:

Im pretty well set on only buying from a BMW dealer, I know it'll cost a bit more, but Id like to be sure its been serviced and is backed by an authorized dealer. I know they'll run forever if serviced and treated right, but I dont want a BMW size repair bill.

Thoughts?

Current "Scooby Doo"

427496_327137757380877_193999834_n.jpg

Wish I had RL experience with one. Early 2k though the 4dr M3 was hot IMHO. Mmm an M5. Early 2k BMWs look great. Good luck in your hunt and keep us posted preferably with pictures.

this is a no-brainer....GIT R DONE. P.S. I currently have an 01 740iL and was all set to get an M5.....but wifey nixed it because she can't do stick shift :banghead:

Funny you ask. My buddy just got this one delivered today.

2008 M5

Dinan exhaust

Lowered

20 inch HRE's.

66541F21-EC6E-4D0D-9967-4AB0546922C3-1403-000000AE34A2C865.jpg

They are great if you buy a well maintained one. If you are looking at an older model out of warranty, you need to be able to find parts at the right places and do the work yourself. If you have to take it to the dealer or plan on taking it to the dealer then forget about it. Otherwise they are great and fun cars if you know what you are getting into... :beerchug:

Which model are looking at the E39 or E60?

E39's are going in the $16-18k area up to mid upper $20k's for a really nice one.

E60's are going for mid-$30k's to mid-$40k's++ for a nice one depending on year.

I'd go test drive a few before you get set on one... Cars For Sale or Wanted - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

They are great if you buy a well maintained one. If you are looking at an older model out of warranty, you need to be able to find parts at the right places and do the work yourself. If you have to take it to the dealer or plan on taking it to the dealer then forget about it. Otherwise they are great and fun cars if you know what you are getting into... :beerchug:

Which model are looking at the E39 or E60?

E39's are going in the $16-18k area up to mid upper $20k's for a really nice one.

E60's are going for mid-$30k's to mid-$40k's++ for a nice one depending on year.

I'd go test drive a few before you get set on one... Cars For Sale or Wanted - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)

I'm lookin for an E39, always loved em and was surprised to see the reasonable cost. I stumbled on the M5 board this evening after posting here, been reading around. I'm getting the feeling it'll take some time and shopping to find the right one that's within a few hundred miles. The down side to that is NYC cars, low miles, tons of idle hours and stop and go, tho I'm assuming most people wouldn't get an e39 to drive around NYC.
A friend works at our local BMW dealer, conveniently 3 blocks away, but he said the manager isn't big on gettin ///M cars in :banghead:
I had him call about a nice lookin specimen in NJ but its on consignment and the guy wants $21k, which for the miles, 115K isn't happening.

Good luck on the search.!!! I love BMW but, like you and others mentioned, if you do everything thru a dealer they get expensive quick.! I just took my friend's 08 528 to get a window regulator replaced a few months ago and the bill was close to $600!! Hope you find a nice one!!

Good luck on the search.!!! I love BMW but, like you and others mentioned, if you do everything thru a dealer they get expensive quick.! I just took my friend's 08 528 to get a window regulator replaced a few months ago and the bill was close to $600!! Hope you find a nice one!!

I hoping to buy via a dealer, get tons of service records from and then never ever go back :laugh: It'll be a weekend car, and 2nd to the bike so I won't have to pile commuting miles on it. Be tough to get in a cavalier when an M5 sits in the garage tho.

I hoping to buy via a dealer, get tons of service records from and then never ever go back :laugh: It'll be a weekend car, and 2nd to the bike so I won't have to pile commuting miles on it. Be tough to get in a cavalier when an M5 sits in the garage tho.

I know :-) my friend went from a Chrysler van to the 5 series and it was funny to even see him trying to slow down. Took him a while to be smooth with the crazy BMW brakes. I guess for him it was like going from the busa's OEM master cylinder to a brembo RCS :rofl:

They are fast and nice and service is expensive. What else you wanna know?

And the car you're looking for is most likely here in SoFla. Modded bimmers super clean are all over the place. Go to autotrader.com and search within 150 miles of zip code 33409 and see what you find. I'll go look at it for you.

Yep, it's me...

Here's what I know about my 2003 E39 (the last year) M5: It is wickedly fun to drive, and I STILL get compliments all the time, but, now going on 10 years old, there are plenty of newer cars that are faster. M5's are maintenance HO's, and even DRIVING BY a repair center is a 3-4 figure proposition. A new set of brakes is over $1100 (cause you are supposed to buy new rotors, too) - a new set of tires is about the same. The radiator is PLASTIC and most fail around 70K miles. A new clutch is about $3K. Having said that, the E39 is the last non 'drive-by-wire' model, and for a lot of people, still a fan-favorite.

It's not a good daily driver; it's a touchy stick, about 14 MPG in the city. I do love to drive it on long trips because it runs straight and true, accelerates uphill like a bat out of hell, but not so much for daily driving as the operating cost is pretty high. Price-wise the are now fairly affordable for most, a decent one I think is in the $20's down a lot from the original $85K asking price.

Now, that I've said all that, if you've still got the itch, the cash and the skills to do some of your own maintenance, PM me and I'll sell you mine for the right price; I've been thinking it's time to move on...I bought mine as a single man, and with a wife and a child it's not the best choice anymore for me...

Good place to learn is m5board.com and beastpower.com.

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

I can't even believe I'd even consider selling her when I look at those pics. She will just about jump off the dang ground when you hammer it :)

Sky my client Rooster Rider is not to be mistaken for Palm Beach money bags!
Twelve five is as high as we will go...not a penny more. And the tank better be full!!!

Well this has gone a very unforeseen direction, PM sent to Keith and Blanca you're deff a salesman. :laugh:

If i do mange to aquire your fine auto, I promise yearly visits and she'll be kept in tip top shape:thumbsup:

Well this has gone a very unforeseen direction, PM sent to Keith and Blanca you're deff a salesman. :laugh:

If i do mange to aquire your fine auto, I promise yearly visits and she'll be kept in tip top shape:thumbsup:

And Keith's ride already had new brakes recently (remember his threads of having them done TWICE :laugh:)

The BMW M5 is one of my all time favorite cars. V10, 500hp! But, after having owned 2 other BMW's, you dont want one unless you are handy with a wrench or have a warranty. I have since decided that if I ever do get a 500hp car, it will be the Mustang GT 500.

And Keith's ride already had new brakes recently (remember his threads of having them done TWICE :laugh:)

Yes thanks for reminding us that he had done at some shade tree shop twice by some idgets and that definitively brings the kbb value down. I'm thinking now 11,750 no more, final offer or I take my client elsewhere cuz I really don't cotton to these strong arm closing tactics.

You can always trade me square for a new loaded Explorer, and then you and Rooster can make your own deal ???

Back