Bike Can't Be Registered! Need Help!!!

If they write you a check tell them you will hold the bike until it clears:laugh: ???

They may only want to pay you back the purchase price, but if you have any big ticket itemsyou did to teh bike I would ask for those as well.

Make sure you get back all you fees to process the bike as well.

Now that's a brilliant approach. Be sure to give them a reason to reject your proposal. If he get's his purchase price returned, he should be grateful.

He is not in a good position to negotiate! They have his money and he has the payments!

Like some of the others have stated. Go directly to the DMV, give them the situation, and see what actions they recommend. I would think no dealership would be allowed to sell a vehicle that can't be registered. Maybe they didn't know? Benefit of the doubt. Best situation though is for them to reimburse you fully.

Do you guys think i am entitled to get my insurance money back and other stuff. I paid 500 so far for insurance, 100 for inspection and 100 for oil change the day i bought it. If i cancel my insurance, i will be charged 200 cancellation fee. Paid 120 for m1 test. and all about 300 in engine problems that i encountered afterwards.

Last edited:
Like some of the others have stated. Go directly to the DMV, give them the situation, and see what actions they recommend. I would think no dealership would be allowed to sell a vehicle that can't be registered. Maybe they didn't know? Benefit of the doubt. Best situation though is for them to reimburse you fully.

The first stop should be the dealership, not tomorrow but today and talk to them. They may be happy to make it right. The wrong approach is to go to the DMV and ask for assistance in an attempt to threaten the dealer. Go directly back to the dealer and give them the opportunity to rufund your money first then think about insurance refund and other costs. But get that check in hand for the refund FIRST!

the dealer cannot sell the bike, they screwed up. they will fix it,either willfully or with the help of the state. I am sure there is a gauge cluster with over 7500 miles on it just sitting in the service bay, because someone forgot to install it. They new what they were doing.

go to the dealer, take your letter from DMV speak to the GM or the owner.

Thats a real pain in the rear that i am gonna have to loose my bike because of their stupidity. the dealer called and said they want it back asap becuase its their bike? i told them no its on my name and i need to consult to my lawyer before i give it to them.
Wow the dealer purposely screwed you bigtime. They're going to take the bike back and keep all the money you've already given them, including any bogus fee's like the smog charge :whistle: . It sounds like they had this planned all along. Plus you've now racked up enough miles to almost make the bike legal for them to sell. Typical scum of the earth stealership. Their business is to screw people, and they do it well :banghead:

The first stop should be the dealership, not tomorrow but today and talk to them. They may be happy to make it right. The wrong approach is to go to the DMV and ask for assistance in an attempt to threaten the dealer. Go directly back to the dealer and give them the opportunity to rufund your money first then think about insurance refund and other costs. But get that check in hand for the refund FIRST!

oops, I thought he kind of already talked to the dealer a little.

Agreed though, go to the dealer TODAY and see whats up. Make sure to have some questions lined and keep calm through it. Hear them out but also make sure they know what you expect from them and what will happen if it doesn't.

then today another mail popped in saying that vehicle cant be registered because it doesnt meet California Emission Standards and must be removed from state. Bike was purchased with 5900 miles and now it has 7000 and because in CA bike under 7500 is considered as a NEW vehicle.

I called the DMV and they said, "Its a 49 state vehicle and cant be registered here in CA and it must be removed within 30 days from the date of notice (OCT 6) and now it is a Civil Matter! Its not legal to drive or operate this vehicle as it will be towed if get pulled over by police!"

Disregard. I found the answer to my question...

Last edited:
sounds like they realized they messed up and you should at least get back 100% of purchase price + taxes etc. maybe if you're lucky the $300 you spent on maintenance. but insurance and other stuff i wouldn't be too worried about.

look @ it this way. you got to ride a busa for almost free for 6 months and 2000 miles plus you get to take your time and start over and find an even better deal. you're in good shape!

Stop asking on here and take your receipts for all the work, inspections, insurance and parts you paid for with the bike back to the dealer on a trailer or in the back of a truck and don't take it out till they give you a check your happy with. You probably wont get everything, but if you have all the receipts it will help persuade them to give it to you. Don't get stupid with what you want, but be willing to settle for the purchased price and taxes and fees.

Now that's a brilliant approach. Be sure to give them a reason to reject your proposal. If he get's his purchase price returned, he should be grateful.

He is not in a good position to negotiate! They have his money and he has the payments!

??? They sold an illegal bike........

Stop asking on here and take your receipts for all the work, inspections, insurance and parts you paid for with the bike back to the dealer on a trailer or in the back of a truck and don't take it out till they give you a check your happy with. You probably wont get everything, but if you have all the receipts it will help persuade them to give it to you. Don't get stupid with what you want, but be willing to settle for the purchased price and taxes and fees.

I agree ... I used to own a dealership here in Calif and the dealer could or maybe is in some deep poop because of this sale. They could be in for fines in excess of $10K but you dont want to push it beyond whats reasonable. However, If they dont cooperate with you... tell them they will be hearing from your attourney AND their DMV inspector ... they will suddenly become your best friend.

Give the dealer a chance to make it right. At least see what they have to say. Their maybe no need for any attorneys or hostilities. They could make it right just because they know they messed up.

Ive heard this story many times before, bikes and cars. Get rid of the headache how ever you can and let this be a lesson, if you live in California don't ever purchase a vehicle from out of state, its not worth it. Oh and stay away from that dealer, if they did it before they'll do it again.

Back