Big Company - I will never learn

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
I have learnt this lesson so many times in life, but still do it wrong sometimes.:banghead:

In a big company, it is not imporant to get the job done, to get it done right and it is important not to change direction when those who think they are important are on the wrong path.

What is important in a big company, is to be nice with everyone, be friends with everyone, to let the boss win you at golf and to agree with facts which are completely wrong, if they come from the person at VP level or above. The real trick is to do nothing that has any risk to it, stay out of trouble and perform like a star in every meeting one attends.

Oh well, tomorrow is another day, that was my rant for today.

Yea my company is getting BIG, it was much easier when we were smaller..

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Best thing I can tell you about larger companies is this. Have answers when asked, always look busy, even if you are just screwin off, look busy and be where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there. Cant tell you how many times I have had to explain, defend or otherwise just ignore questions about why I'm doing x, y or z. Keep in mind I'm a consultant who gets paid to help train people, make things work, be in meetings, give advice, etc etc which all too often keeps me from actually sitting down and working.

As a general rule, most middle management is only looking for expected behavior and answers to questions they are being asked from their management. Senior management wants to hear the status of things as long as that status is positive/happy and see work being done, again expected behavior for role X. OH YEAH .... unless you are required to do so, generally you do not want to be the one to be the one who tells senior management bad/unexpected news. You have a chain of command, use it :thumbsup:

Used to work for Fortune 500 company, now work for self. There are benefits to both.

I miss the 401K actually. The 5% match was awesome. Saved $23K in 2-1/2 years back then.

My sister is trying to adopt a 2nd kid, the company (you would instantly recognize) is paying for the first $10K. Never even heard of that. Both my siblings got Masters Degrees & their respective employers paid for all of it.

Used to work for Fortune 500 company, now work for self. There are benefits to both.

I miss the 401K actually. The 5% match was awesome. Saved $23K in 2-1/2 years back then.

My sister is trying to adopt a 2nd kid, the company (you would instantly recognize) is paying for the first $10K. Never even heard of that. Both my siblings got Masters Degrees & their respective employers paid for all of it.

Actually I work for a company for the reasons you called out. I probably could make more on my own but the benefits really are worth it at this stage in my life. Each of my previous employers paid for adoption assistance, the last one actually paid something close to 90% of the total cost. If you have any hopes of doing an MBA being tied into a corporation makes it about 900000000% easier, plus they usually will pay some/all of it :thumbsup:

Just the reason I switched back to a small company. To much office politics for me. Just leave me along and let me do my job.

Back
Top Bottom