Best quality perforated leather jacket under $400

Alpinestars all the way.

I just spent the last two days riding with this one.

Stage perforated-retail says $400+, but found for $320.

STAGEJACKETBlack.jpg

I bought me a Joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 and LOVE IT. BTW..I paid 214.95 at MOTOXOUTLET. Add 25 for shipping and I got it home for $240. Fits great and wears nice. And the leather feels quite substantial.

(Spike @ Apr. 28 2007,13:40)
(JINKSTER @ Apr. 28 2007,11:13)
(Spike @ Apr. 28 2007,06:04) Hey Jinkster,

I only know what I see and read and honestly don't have very much experience with different gear.  I never had to "use" it before, just wear it.  In your mind what makes you want the Mark II over the Joe Rocket?  In my mind they are both perf leather jackets and I have only heard of Joe Rocket, not the other, so I would have and did buy the Joe Rocket.  Is the other a better brand?

Thanks,
newbie.gif
Well?..it's not that JR is bad or anything but i can't believe you haven't heard of "VANSON".....america's manufacturers of gauranteed for life leathers w/ fantastic CS and re-conditioning services available...made from top line, full grain, 1.5 mill thick american cowhide.

"VANSON" is pretty much the grand-daddy of sport/street leathers here in the states...and offered up some first rate, top end, industry leading sport gear to the sport/street crowd...also?..

While if i was actually a sponsored racer i might go with a $2,000 Kushitani 1.2 mm thin race weight leather (kangaroo) for racing?...I would much rather prefer Vansons super thick high quality leather if i want "perforations"...as the tear resistance goes down when you go both "Thin & Perfed"...and Kushitani makes some beautiful street gear as well but...i don't think you'll find a comparable Kushitani Jacket priced at what newenough has a Vanson Mark II Hurricane priced at...$349 is super cheap for "that" Vanson Perfed Jacket...and again?...Vanson puts some serious sized, clean cut perfs in their jackets..unlike that of the many companies that offer up perf'ed jackets that have shoddy little pinholes through the leather that are all fuzz'ed out and 1/2 blocked off...take a close look at the perforations on a vanson the next time you see one and compare it to that of the perforations of any other sportbike leather manufacturer and you'll see what i mean...and then wear one...way more air flow...the downside?...they take a few riding to break-in...feel a tad "cardboard'ish" at first...but a few rides and some mink oil treatments later?...and the guys that got'em refuse to give'em up.
biggrin.gif

Damn....now i want one even worse.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Well in defense of myself:

I am a loner and always have been.  I don't hang out with anyone, I have no friends outside the "office", I don't ride with anyone else and the only motorcycle talk I really ever participated in before I found hayabusa.org was with the people at the local motorcycle shop (suzuki, yamaha, honda, etc.)

I never even WORE gear until I bought my hayabusa.  I rode cruisers previously and only wore a helmet with the standard "cruiser gear."  (Jeans, T shirt, tattoos, etc.)  On colder days I wore my thick biker leather jacket I bought at some leather store 20+ years ago when I was in high school.

So with that said when I started wearing gear (when I bought the busa) I went to the local cycle store and asked them what I should buy.  My head is still spinning trying to figure out what mods to do let alone what gear to buy.  

I purposefully stay out of the mainstream whether it be media, pop culture, fashion, or even just socially.  Life is better that way.  Most people think I am strange, hey that's fine.  

So, Vanson.  Never heard of em, but now I know.

Thanks for not giving me maximum ridicule, I am always eager to learn.

-Spike
sorry if ya took it that way....didn't mean it ta ridicule ya...just inform you...i live in my own isolated little world as well...and i'm certain there's quite a few things your familiar with and wouldn't be able to believe that i don't know as well.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

I bought an Intersport Perf's leather jacked with Suzuki Racing on it from one of the board members. And i purchased a Kobe Perf'd Dragon Breeze. The kobe - has better air flow through it. It fits tight like a glove though. (It's too small for my chubbiness right now.) The intersport is the same size, and I love the fit. The airflow - not too much on the arms but top of the chest is pretty good.

I am working on stretching out my Kobe. The one I tend to grab - my intersport. It's just easeir cause it's looser. I have a JR Alter-Ego as well. (Textile though.) It's been very comfortable and zipping off the outter leaves me with a very free flowing mesh for really hot days. Not as cool looking as either of my leathers though.

My suggestion - just try on a bunch of 'em, read online about their features, then pick the one you like the best - and get it.

Oh - and get used to the loaner thing... you're on a busa now. That sets you apart from the rest no matter what you do. ;-)

beerchug.gif

(Rocketman @ Apr. 29 2007,05:14) I bought an Intersport Perf's leather jacked with Suzuki Racing on it from one of the board members.  And i purchased a Kobe Perf'd Dragon Breeze.  The kobe - has better air flow through it.  It fits tight like a glove though.  (It's too small for my chubbiness right now.)  The intersport is the same size, and I love the fit.  The airflow - not too much on the arms but top of the chest is pretty good.

I am working on stretching out my Kobe.  The one I tend to grab - my intersport.  It's just easeir cause it's looser.  I have a JR Alter-Ego as well.  (Textile though.)  It's been very comfortable and zipping off the outter leaves me with a very free flowing mesh for really hot days.  Not as cool looking as either of my leathers though.

My suggestion - just try on a bunch of 'em, read online about their features, then pick the one you like the best  - and get it.  

Oh - and get used to the loaner thing... you're on a busa now.  That sets you apart from the rest no matter what you do.  ;-)

beerchug.gif
not to jack the thread but...on that same note?...over the years, tears and gears i've bought, owned and wore?..i've come to the conclusion that...

Unless you are a MODEL MALE of "Perfect Proportions"?....no "Off The Rack" leathers are going to feel perfect and comfy "on you everywhere"...if you have even the slightest pooch of a stomach?..

Pants: By the time ya get into a comfy waist size (as measured 1" ABOVE the bellybutton)?...the legs will be too long and they'll crinkle at the knees (leaving dangling from leather loose azz knee pucks) annnd?..buckle the extra material up around the crotch, butt and abdomin...and most of the leg lengths seem to be cut more for an NBA Star (or an anorexic giant) than for what the general public would envision a "Medium Build" as. LOL!

Jackets: Again..by the time you hit the appropriate waist/stomach sizing?...The sleeves will be too long (kinking up material at the elbow and shoulder) annnd?..Buckling up excess material in the chest area. * (see: NBA Star or anorexic giant above)

The perforated jackets/pants don't seem to bad as they are a bit more flexable and forgiving..but don the same gear in non-perf?...and you'll think you just zipped yourself into a cardboard box! LOL! and experience greatly decreased body motion/movement/range.

This is why ultimately?..after all the years, tears and gears?..i've turned to "LeatherMeshTex" type gear...Solid Non-Perfed Leather "where" you need it on a Mesh Shell (for fantastic airflow) and Keprotec Stretch Panels to ensure both a Forgiving yet Wind Snug non-flapping fit....perfect stuff for the imperfectly proportioned sportrider.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

My Joe Rocket pants and jacked have held up very well. So far i have low sided twice at about 50-60, and had a tankslapper at 110. Only damage is from sliding it wore out the stitching a little. Other then that there is no holes in the leather. I just took some back shoe polish and made it look new again. +1 to joe rocket gear

AGV and Vanson jackets can be had at any number of places...look for the close-out specials, and rake in the savings.

I got the Vanson delivered today at work and this thing is schweet. One perk about living in Houston is you're only two days away from NewEnough when Fedex ground handles the shipping chores.
Had never dealt with NewEnough, but these guys are total pro's.

Damn glad I posted this thread and Jink's came through with a link to the buy of the year! Jacket is perfed 100% except for the waistband. Leather is soft and felt like it had been worn for months. The size is right on. Couldn't be happier!!!

Thanks Bill

beerchug.gif

(busa_bill @ May 02 2007,16:44) I got the Vanson delivered today at work and this thing is schweet. One perk about living in Houston is you're only two days away from NewEnough when Fedex ground handles the shipping chores.

Damn glad I posted this thread and Jink's came through with a link to the buy of the year! Jacket is perfed 100% except for the waistband. Leather is soft and felt like it had been worn for months. The size is right on. Couldn't be happier!!!

Thanks Bill

beerchug.gif
you're very welcome and i'm happy you're happy and had a great purchasing experience but...

where are the pix?
rock.gif

(atticdog @ May 03 2007,12:16) if anyone is interested i have a Vanson fully perforated jacket size 46 with gp armor for sale
what sort of condition is it in?

what color?

how much?

its black in great condition with hard gp shoulder and forearm armor
$330 shipped I have to be kinda firm on that price

(JINKSTER @ May 03 2007,14:45)
(busa_bill @ May 02 2007,16:44) I got the Vanson delivered today at work and this thing is schweet. One perk about living in Houston is you're only two days away from NewEnough when Fedex ground handles the shipping chores.

Thanks Bill

beerchug.gif
you're very welcome and i'm happy you're happy and had a great purchasing experience but...

where are the pix?
rock.gif
Bill, Buscilla, and new jacket.
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

(Somebody1010 @ Apr. 30 2007,12:16) My Joe Rocket pants and jacked have held up very well. So far i have low sided twice at about 50-60, and had a tankslapper at 110.
Damn man, track days or you got a little guardian angel on your shoulder?!?
crazy.gif

How did the bike hold up through those? Not as good as the leather I guess...
rock.gif

my frank thomas went down at 150 pluss held together with very little wear. I flows more air than my mesh

Back