Best quality perforated leather jacket under $400

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
I've looked at the Joe Rocket Sonic for $314.00, but the leather looked questionable as to if it would hold-up in a spill. That's the only jacket I've been able to see in person. Everything else just in pictures. Would like opinions on a decent perforated leather jacket for $400 or less.

Thanks,
Bill

I have Joe Rocket perf ( couple years old ) Don't know how well it will hold up , hope I never find out! Seems pretty good though!

If you can't get in on the Dragon Breeze deal than I would strongly suggest these pants and matching jacket from Newenough, $400 for the set. Link

I can attest to they're comfort, quality and definitely durability. I low sided at approx 80 mph on the track and....not a scratch. Still got the jacket but the keprotec panels on the pants were too far gone to risk it.

(busa_bill @ Apr. 27 2007,12:26) I've looked at the Joe Rocket Sonic for $314.00, but the leather looked questionable as to if it would hold-up in a spill. That's the only jacket I've been able to see in person. Everything else just in pictures. Would like opinions on a decent perforated leather jacket for $400 or less.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill..here's the deal that i'd be all over if i were looking for full perf leather jacket...

http://newenough.com/closeou....et.html

A Vanson Mark II Hurricane for $349...and the reason i like vanson is because there perforations are large, airy annnnd?..(real important here as opposed to others)..."Clean Cut"...as the perf holes have nice round clean cut edges...yet the leather is super thick and durable...i wouldn't do a cheapy race weight leather that's thin and also "perfed" as they have a tendency to NOT have that great of "Tear Resistance"...btw...I owned a Kobe Dragon Breeze...nice jacket but i'd of never bought it if they were selling Vanson Hurricanes for $349 back then...cause i'd of certainly went vanson if they did.

JMHO and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I just bought the AGV Pilot vented top and pants. LOVE'EM  
beerchug.gif

Jacket under $400 (actually as I recall it was $250 + ) and fits great  
super.gif

I only suggest super moto jacket...with the heat gear? it feels like AC turned on...nothing like it  
super.gif

548_2727.jpg

Once you make your choice... get with the board sponsors ... you might find yourself able to buy something a bit more than what your looking for now because of the prices you will get from sponsors of this site... If you look at icon jackets, call Josh at Ryders Connection... he'll hook you up!

I have the Joe Rocket Sonic Perf. jacket and it is pretty damn nice. The leather is thick and stitched nicely. I think, for the money it's a good buy. I found mine online for 265.

Myself and a friend both have the Joe Rocket Sonic. I was skeptical too but ended up buying one after my friend went down at about 40-45mph, low-sided. He did end up having to replace the jacket but didn't have a scratch on him.

Hey Jinkster,

I only know what I see and read and honestly don't have very much experience with different gear. I never had to "use" it before, just wear it. In your mind what makes you want the Mark II over the Joe Rocket? In my mind they are both perf leather jackets and I have only heard of Joe Rocket, not the other, so I would have and did buy the Joe Rocket. Is the other a better brand?

Thanks,
newbie.gif

(frisbee @ Apr. 27 2007,16:14) I have Joe Rocket  perf ( couple years old ) Don't know how well it will hold up , hope I never find out! Seems pretty good though!
i crashed in a jo rocket perf at about 45mph...held up good at that speed anyway. fyi.... triumph parts on the tree of shame
sad.gif
smile.gif

(Spike @ Apr. 28 2007,06:04) Hey Jinkster,

I only know what I see and read and honestly don't have very much experience with different gear.  I never had to "use" it before, just wear it.  In your mind what makes you want the Mark II over the Joe Rocket?  In my mind they are both perf leather jackets and I have only heard of Joe Rocket, not the other, so I would have and did buy the Joe Rocket.  Is the other a better brand?

Thanks,
newbie.gif
Well?..it's not that JR is bad or anything but i can't believe you haven't heard of "VANSON".....america's manufacturers of gauranteed for life leathers w/ fantastic CS and re-conditioning services available...made from top line, full grain, 1.5 mill thick american cowhide.

"VANSON" is pretty much the grand-daddy of sport/street leathers here in the states...and offered up some first rate, top end, industry leading sport gear to the sport/street crowd...also?..

While if i was actually a sponsored racer i might go with a $2,000 Kushitani 1.2 mm thin race weight leather (kangaroo) for racing?...I would much rather prefer Vansons super thick high quality leather if i want "perforations"...as the tear resistance goes down when you go both "Thin & Perfed"...and Kushitani makes some beautiful street gear as well but...i don't think you'll find a comparable Kushitani Jacket priced at what newenough has a Vanson Mark II Hurricane priced at...$349 is super cheap for "that" Vanson Perfed Jacket...and again?...Vanson puts some serious sized, clean cut perfs in their jackets..unlike that of the many companies that offer up perf'ed jackets that have shoddy little pinholes through the leather that are all fuzz'ed out and 1/2 blocked off...take a close look at the perforations on a vanson the next time you see one and compare it to that of the perforations of any other sportbike leather manufacturer and you'll see what i mean...and then wear one...way more air flow...the downside?...they take a few riding to break-in...feel a tad "cardboard'ish" at first...but a few rides and some mink oil treatments later?...and the guys that got'em refuse to give'em up.
biggrin.gif

Damn....now i want one even worse.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(nitrousjunkie @ Apr. 28 2007,08:22) Joe Rocket and Vanson in a comparison? Bawahahahahah!
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Here Here NJ!
laugh.gif

and that right there is a prime example of a "Strong Marketing Dept." hard at work!
laugh.gif

boochoo new riders + boochoo new sportbikes ='s new leather manufacturer sell'in like hotcakes...

meanwhile?..the real folks in the biz and the know like Vanson and Aerostitch begin to fall to the wayside...then again?..they ain't gett'in stitched together in pakistan, or china, or malaysia.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

(JINKSTER @ Apr. 28 2007,11:13)
(Spike @ Apr. 28 2007,06:04) Hey Jinkster,

I only know what I see and read and honestly don't have very much experience with different gear.  I never had to "use" it before, just wear it.  In your mind what makes you want the Mark II over the Joe Rocket?  In my mind they are both perf leather jackets and I have only heard of Joe Rocket, not the other, so I would have and did buy the Joe Rocket.  Is the other a better brand?

Thanks,
newbie.gif
Well?..it's not that JR is bad or anything but i can't believe you haven't heard of "VANSON".....america's manufacturers of gauranteed for life leathers w/ fantastic CS and re-conditioning services available...made from top line, full grain, 1.5 mill thick american cowhide.

"VANSON" is pretty much the grand-daddy of sport/street leathers here in the states...and offered up some first rate, top end, industry leading sport gear to the sport/street crowd...also?..

While if i was actually a sponsored racer i might go with a $2,000 Kushitani 1.2 mm thin race weight leather (kangaroo) for racing?...I would much rather prefer Vansons super thick high quality leather if i want "perforations"...as the tear resistance goes down when you go both "Thin & Perfed"...and Kushitani makes some beautiful street gear as well but...i don't think you'll find a comparable Kushitani Jacket priced at what newenough has a Vanson Mark II Hurricane priced at...$349 is super cheap for "that" Vanson Perfed Jacket...and again?...Vanson puts some serious sized, clean cut perfs in their jackets..unlike that of the many companies that offer up perf'ed jackets that have shoddy little pinholes through the leather that are all fuzz'ed out and 1/2 blocked off...take a close look at the perforations on a vanson the next time you see one and compare it to that of the perforations of any other sportbike leather manufacturer and you'll see what i mean...and then wear one...way more air flow...the downside?...they take a few riding to break-in...feel a tad "cardboard'ish" at first...but a few rides and some mink oil treatments later?...and the guys that got'em refuse to give'em up.
biggrin.gif

Damn....now i want one even worse.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Well in defense of myself:

I am a loner and always have been. I don't hang out with anyone, I have no friends outside the "office", I don't ride with anyone else and the only motorcycle talk I really ever participated in before I found hayabusa.org was with the people at the local motorcycle shop (suzuki, yamaha, honda, etc.)

I never even WORE gear until I bought my hayabusa. I rode cruisers previously and only wore a helmet with the standard "cruiser gear." (Jeans, T shirt, tattoos, etc.) On colder days I wore my thick biker leather jacket I bought at some leather store 20+ years ago when I was in high school.

So with that said when I started wearing gear (when I bought the busa) I went to the local cycle store and asked them what I should buy. My head is still spinning trying to figure out what mods to do let alone what gear to buy.

I purposefully stay out of the mainstream whether it be media, pop culture, fashion, or even just socially. Life is better that way. Most people think I am strange, hey that's fine.

So, Vanson. Never heard of em, but now I know.

Thanks for not giving me maximum ridicule, I am always eager to learn.

-Spike

Appreciate the replies. Good info going on here.

I would have never thought I could get into a Vanson for $400, so I never looked. New Enough doesn't show to have my size (50) in either color I could use, but will give em a call to make sure. If nothing else, Vanson shows them on their website for $420 and change. They talk about the cut fitting average height guys best. The jacket looks to be cut a tad on the short side and I'm 6'2". I like the length on my Alpinestar which looks to come down maybe 1 1/2" more. (don't need any surprise appearances by the beer gut) I'll give this jacket a go though.

Ran by a fabric store and picked up a tape to measure chest etc. FYI - old lady's don't take too kindly to leathered-up sport bike riders. Needless to say, it was a little awkward.

Bill - many thanks for the link. You made it easy.

Back