batt issue

SPEEDEMON

Donating Member
Registered
i just got back form being away and when i cheked the bike and the batt was dead, its only a few months old, and it has happened b4 so i alsways kept it on a battery tender. but this time its been charging on the battery tender since sat night and the battery refuses to charge, the little red light is on the bat tender, the inline fuse is fine, i took the batt out and am charging it with the aligator clips, for a few days and nothing, the re is no juice whatso ever in the batt
rock.gif

anyone have any ideas??
thanx

Junk===replace it.
sad.gif
+1 Junk the battery.  It has a dead cell for sure.  If you keep messing with it and you get an internal short, the thing could blow up and spray you with acid.
i dont understand how it got a dead cell, i dont know that much about batteries.
can someone explain how that happens so i dont do it to my next battery.
i said b4 it went dead a few times and i charged it with no problems.
i have a few things on my bike using its power for e.g.
scorpio alarm, but i dont think it draws enough power to drain the batt in 2 days...
i have a speedohealer, but i dont belive it draws any power when the bike is off...
i have LED lights but i barly use them and never leave them on while the bike is not runnig or for long periods of time and they draw no pwer when they are off.
the only other thing i have is a gps tracker on it, which is made for bikes, cars and that sort of thing.

do you think any of these things would give the batt a dead cell?
and do you think these things would drain the battery in 2 days?

thanx again for the help

you have to get the battery charged up first , i doubt its shot try removing it from the bike and charging it if it takes a charge then put it back in the bike connect the positive terminal and leave the negative disconected use a voltmeter between the battery terminal and the negative cable set the voltmeter to 20 volts you should have 0 draw any thing above that and it will wear your battery over time my battery tender charges at 1.5 so for the battery to go dead id say you are lookin at a 3 amp draw minnimum if you come up with a draw disconect your add ons one at a time to locate which one is drawing
you can pick up a voltmeter for under 10 $ radio shack/home depot/ pepboys yhey jump in price quite a bit upwards of a grand but you only need the cheap one hope this helps ? most bike shops will test your battery for nothing , so if it doesnt charge off the bike id check with the dealer

you have to get the battery charged up first , i doubt its shot  try removing it from the bike and charging it  if it takes a charge  then put it back in the bike connect the positive terminal and leave the negative  disconected  use a voltmeter  between the battery terminal  and the negative cable set the voltmeter to 20 volts  you should have 0 draw  any thing above that  and it will wear your battery over time  my battery tender charges at 1.5  so for the battery to go dead  id say you are lookin at a 3 amp draw minnimum  if you come up with a draw disconect your add ons one at a time to locate which one is drawing  
you can pick up a voltmeter for under 10 $  radio shack/home depot/ pepboys    yhey jump in price quite a bit  upwards of a grand  but you only need the cheap one   hope this helps ?   most bike shops will test your battery for nothing , so if it doesnt charge off the bike   id check with the dealer
thanx i will go get a voltmeter and check it.
and how can i make sure the battery tender is working i have the jr one i think its also 1.5 charge, while its carging the batt can i use the voltmeter to test if its working?

Speedemon, have you tried disconnecting all of the accesories trying to see if it works good without em?

Speedemon, have you tried disconnecting all of the accesories trying to see if it works good without em?
i will try that if i can get it to charge again. but i didnt yet.
i have a feeling the prob is with the gps tracker...but i am not sure the first time it went dead i think was bec the alarm kept going off, its the scorpio with perimeter sensor and kept goin off untill it drained the batt...

ok i just got a meter thing, wen i set the meter for 2v dc and put it on the batt, which is charging, its says 2.37 and is slowly going up, the battery is off the bike now
is that a good thing?

yes its charging , you can check the batery tender by conecting the voltmeter to the aligator clips from the battery tender , after the battery is charged put it back in the bike and check for the draw then disconnect them one at a time until its 0 the meter should have a setting for 20 v dc use that one you will get a better reading cause you are workin on a 12volt dc system so the readings you look at will be actual readings

yes its charging , you can check the batery tender by conecting the voltmeter to the aligator clips from the battery tender , after the battery is charged put it back in the bike and check for the draw then disconnect them one at a time until its 0   the meter should have a setting for 20 v dc  use that one you will get a better reading  cause you are workin on a 12volt dc system   so the readings you look at will be actual readings
ok thanx a lot for your help i will report back after it gets charged!

ok the batt has been charging for a few hours and i tested it with the meter and for the past hour it hasnt moved from 2.46...it wont get any higher...i guess the batt is gone...i will buy a new batt and find out what is suckng all the power up.
any suggestions where to get a new batt from, cheap obviusly
rock.gif

that sux , take it to the dealer and try to get one warrantied ? it shouldve lasted way longer ?
rock.gif

that sux , take it to the dealer and try to get one warrantied ?  it shouldve lasted way longer ?
rock.gif
just got off the phone with the dealer, they said they will come pick up the bike and check the charging system to make sure everything is working ok and they will give me a new batt, all for free!
the only prob i have now is i need to remove all of the electrical stuff so they dont blame it on any of my accesories and not cover it bec of that.

that sux , take it to the dealer and try to get one warrantied ?  it shouldve lasted way longer ?
rock.gif
just got off the phone with the dealer, they said they will come pick up the bike and check the charging system to make sure everything is working ok and they will give me a new batt, all for free!
the only prob i have now is i need to remove all of the electrical stuff so they dont blame it on any of my accesories and not cover it bec of that.
Yo Ez, If they don't replace it due to your add-ons just get the Honda replacement batt. We can get one from the place we went to that day.

rock.gif
sounds like a good deal ! when you hook your acesories back up do them one at a time and check for a draw with the meter if it is gettin a reading with the key off it will kill your battery over time .

Back