Anyone with experience in Digital slot cars

I see some kits that are analog that allow lane changing.
What are other reasons I'd want digital?

I see that one Afx 38 ft track for like $149. Looks like a good one?

Blanca, could you post a link to one of these kits? I'd like to see what you are looking at.

I know they came out big back in the 80's but seem to have phased out in the early 90's on analog for some reason unless you are just talking about crossovers. If that's the case then they would actually be running on the same rail.

Anyway, kind of curious what you found.

I think this video really shows a difference with some of the digital features available.

PS: I'm starting to feel like a salesman :laugh:

Very good reading busawhipped, thank you

This is kind of what I was looking for and now after reading I am still happy with what I ordered a little while ago. It's pretty hard to locate a comparison in that much detail.

Growing up I had trains and then Afx tracks. My dad rigged up a cool plywood/pully system in the garage.
The tracks were on plywood, like four pieces and hanging by wires. When I wanted to play we would lower it down. When not in use we would pull it up and out of the way. May want to think about something like this?

Let me look for the track I saw. To me I think my son would be more happy with a larger track than pits and other things.

:laugh: :poke: yall are a bunch of big kids, arn't ya? :laugh:

:thumbsup: i love havin a son i can buy cool toys for.........then play with them myself. :whistle: :thumbs:

What determines a car passing another at "X" location? Is it just chance that you get overtaken? Those are really cool...I remeber my dog destroying a few cars..it would just sit and watch for awhile...then run off with one

Blanca that last track is friggin huge~!~

RYC, the digital track can go 4 lanes wide if you have enough pieces to put together and can run up to 6 cars in one lane. You have a button on the back of your controller that switches the lanes to your liking. They stay in the slots but can switch lanes/slots as often as you have cross overs or cut offs.

Something cool coming out in December is the Corvette Safety Car which will drive itself to the speed you set it and switch lanes randomly on it's own to act as a racer or a blocker.

I love slot cars, always have since my brother and I had a huge track in the garage as kids.I went to a hobby shop I mesa that had huge slot car tracks and had drag race slots.Good fun.

Growing up I had trains and then Afx tracks. My dad rigged up a cool plywood/pully system in the garage.
The tracks were on plywood, like four pieces and hanging by wires. When I wanted to play we would lower it down. When not in use we would pull it up and out of the way. May want to think about something like this?

Let me look for the track I saw. To me I think my son would be more happy with a larger track than pits and other things.

When I was young my father built a large table downstairs for the O guage train set and built me a table on wheel in my room for my slot car tracks. Does bring back memories for sure.

Here's what I've got going so far. I really would like to expand about twice this size in the near future, but for now I'll set this up. I used an extra ping pong table from the pool that's been out in the weather a bit. Strengthened it up and covered.

I should be picking up the track tomorrow night and have operational Thursday.

100_5690.jpg

100_5696.jpg

100_5698.jpg

I ended up with the scx pitbox TowerHobbies.com | 10180 SCX 1/32 Digital System GT Pit Box Set 20.4'

I noticed after I ordered it though there is a newer version with the similar cars but with GT body looks to them. TowerHobbies.com | D10009X510 SCX 1/32 Digital System GT Pit Box Set 20.4' Oh well.

Tell you what...these tracks are huge compared to HO AFX/Tyco tracks I had in the past. I am hoping it fits on this table ok as a starter track. I believe sticking two of these tracks together would make for the perfect size course. Not for a room without much room in it. :laugh:

My son played with one at a shop last week and loved it. I think it'll be great as something he and I can do together, and hopefully get mom involved too...then when the kids tire out it'll still have enough to it to make it fun for the adults...I want to add the lap counter and chronometer and at least a 3 lane straight away to it soon.

Tell you what, big hit on Thanksgiving. The kids absolutely loved it and the grown ups played well after the kids were done. :laugh:

The older kids did pretty good on the lower speeds and i banked the turns so the 2 year olds could hold them open at the slow speeds also. (shown in vid on slow).

My plans have changed a bit though, I had initially planned on making a large twistie road course but now I am thinking about expanding the table both ways and making a larger 4 corner course to make it easier for the kids to enjoy.

I picked up some styrofoam blocks today and will start carving out mountains to hold up the banks so hopefully it will look pretty decent once done. More track on order...might be a while before I get her all done.

If you look close you can see we've already rubbed the good year writing off some of the tires from rubbing the guard rail :thumbsup:

100_5703.jpg

100_5705.jpg

100_5707.jpg

100_5715.jpg

100_5702.jpg

100_5708.jpg

I just expanded the table a couple feet in each direction to accomodate a little more track and a train set (Christmas). I'll post a pic around Santa time.

Here is one SWEET track layout.

Blanca, I believe this video answers some of your questions...check out the expansion options.

You are right though, we don't use the fuel station function and simply turn it off. (so far)

Looks pretty cool, my lady told me no more hobbies until I dump one. (she doesn't know I have a 71 split bumper Camaro waiting for me hopefully)

Looks like it only takes up space if you build it where you can't store it on its side. Is how we did it with trains when I was younger.

Back