Anybody have a shop with living quarters??

fwlplabusa

Registered
My house is about to sale and im wanting build a large shop to work on my things. Thinking about building a living quarters within it. Anyone ever do this? thanks for any help

Ive been wanting to do that for years. Maybe one of those steel buildings with dual garage doors, kitchen and living room in the back with a loft for the bedroom upstairs. :thumbsup:

My brother just bought a place like this on 5 acres in TX. Garage he can put 3 cars in easily and have plenty of room to work each one, has a lift, all of his tools etc... It is pretty cool, perfect bachelor pad. Has living quarters in the back, 1 bedroom, kitchen, living area and an upstairs "loft" kinda thing. Also has upstairs storage that is connected to the shop area. It's a steel framed metal building with the living area framed and insulated. I'd do it in a heartbeat...if I was single. :laugh:

Here is a video I took when I was out at his place a little while ago, you can kinda see in the background what I'm talking about...

This is pretty common with airplane hangars. A lot of time, someone will build a hangar at a vacation airstrip with a small apartment built in the back as part of the structure. I believe you can buy these as pre-fab structures pretty cheaply.

My friends shop is for sale... Takes up an entire block downtown in sac Cali, 3mil but you might get his rental house next door for an extra 550k.

7 Dream Homes for Car Collectors - FoxNews.com

:drooling3:

And to be able to have this WITHOUT a husband filling it full of his s*&t........it'll be all my stuff!!!!!!!!! The Bugatti will go to the left, the Aston next to that, then the Bowler Wildcat further back, Nissan GTR tucked away, another Busa, VMax, Ducati's........yeah..........girls dream of this too....
:thumbs:

Rio

i would love to do this! went and looked at a place with huge downstairs garage and living quarters upstairs about a month ago but the neighbors were as close as i have now and i want out of town!!!

I used to erect metal buildings as a young(er) man in Memphis and the Mid-South area and there were plenty of folks that had quarters in these types of structures. They are awesome, adaptable, and fairly reasonable $$$.

Love that Chevelle too.....I was waiting on that accelerator punch! :thumbsup:

I d love to have a garage with living quarters upstairs as well. You would save building costs with one roof and insulalating four walls unstead of eight. I just worry about codes, fire, and what the insurence company would think. Makes alot of sence for us single guys.

My brother got a kit garage 24x36 , it has an upstairs . whole thing we built, he had the slab poured and the electric done . final cost was about 15k

I always joke that I need a bigger garage with an attached house. Some good ventilation with fire walls and you can keep it all under one roof.

Back