An old Marine and an old salt

shutup.gif

That was funny! Im surprised to not have heard it before. Most of the jokes I hear in my shop come from my Chief. His jokes are generally along the lines of "A Chief can become an officer but officers cant become Chiefs. We have standards!"

Luckly Im a greenside sailor (meaning Im a sailor in a Marine unit) so I dont hear these jokes often. My corpsmen go on the same patrols, clear the same rooms, do the same humps, get shot/IED by the same bad guys carry the same weapons PLUS the med bag. No other rating in the military has more Medals of Honor than the Navy Corpsman.

I was at the airport a few years ago and over heard a few young Marines talking trash about the Navy. I listened in and heard an old Marine mantra, "the only thing Navy is good for is giving us a ride to battle." I asked one of his buddies what unit they were in. His answer, "ohh we're on leave from Boot Camp!" ohh to be young and dumb.

FYI for everyone else: The Navy has two types of jobs: Shore duty and Sea Duty. A shore command can be a training command. A sea duty command is one where we deploy. Shore duty is cake compared to sea duty as shore duty is not unlike a civilian 9-5 job. As most Navy deployments are aboad ships or subs, sea deployments suck. A ship does not say at the pier for a year then deploy for 9 months. Ship work ups mean sea trials and numberous 3-21 day cruises before the depoloyment. Personally, Id rather be in Iraq than at sea.

HoooYAAHH everyone!

That was funny! Im surprised to not have heard it before.  Most of the jokes I hear in my shop come from my Chief. His jokes are generally along the lines of "A Chief can become an officer but officers cant become Chiefs. We have standards!"  

Luckly Im a greenside sailor (meaning Im a sailor in a Marine unit) so I dont hear these jokes often.  My corpsmen go on the same patrols, clear the same rooms, do the same humps, get shot/IED by the same bad guys carry the same weapons PLUS the med bag.  No other rating in the military has more Medals of Honor than the Navy Corpsman.  

I was at the airport a few years ago and over heard a few young Marines talking trash about the Navy.  I listened in and heard an old Marine mantra, "the only thing Navy is good for is giving us a ride to battle."  I asked one of his buddies what unit they were in.  His answer,  "ohh we're on leave from Boot Camp!"   ohh to be young and dumb.  

FYI for everyone else:  The Navy has two types of jobs: Shore duty and Sea Duty.  A shore command can be a training command.  A sea duty command is one where we deploy.  Shore duty is cake compared to sea duty as shore duty is not unlike a civilian 9-5 job.  As most Navy deployments are aboad ships or subs, sea deployments suck.  A ship does not say at the pier for a year then deploy for 9 months.  Ship work ups mean sea trials and numberous 3-21 day cruises before the depoloyment.  Personally, Id rather be in Iraq than at sea.      

HoooYAAHH everyone!
You forgot to mention the Naval Mobile Command Battalions or NMCBs of the Navy. Seabees is our name, we have shore duty's as well and shore dutys also but unlike the regular Navy (sailors) we fly to our overseas duties. The Seabees or the unsung heros of the Navy, not many people know us but have seen our work. Our moto Seabees "We Build We Fight We party All Night".
beerchug.gif

Back