Am i out of control?

busa_bill

Life - tastes like chicken!
Donating Member
Registered
Recently I’ve been pushing the ’06 harder and harder.
Now it seems I need to go 130+ every time I get on it.
I feel I do have enough self control to back off eventually, but it’s too much fun at the moment.
I’m 44 and know better.

The most concern is what happens afterwards? Afraid the thrill will be gone and I’ll loose interest.
I’m on the bike 350 miles a week to and from work, and for play.

I know I’m going to get hammered sooner or later, and really want to nip this in the bud.

What do you guy’s do to keep it fresh?

Million dollar question! If it gets to feeling too slow for you there is a world of performance parts available for you. First thing I would suggest is start thinking about stopping it from those 130mph+ runs! Brakes are a must!

I think we all went through that phase. Rest assured for 95% of us it is a phase. The remaining 5% either take it to the track/strip or end up losing the bike due to heavy fines or accidents.

For me, the wake up call was the first ticket. The first ticket in 12 years. I made it from 19 to 31 without a ticket and within the frist two months of Busa nirvana I get a nice fat 87 in a 50. I chalked it up to karma as I had gone much faster than that in other settings and was thankful this was my wake up call and not some triple digit pullover fiasco or worse.

Now, I roll the throttle in VERY well calculated stretches of road, with great visibility and no cars. It helps to find those spots and visit frequently and leave the commuting at cruising speed versus warp speed.

To keep things fresh, work on technique. Work your corners, your lines, your knee drag and your safety. Find a couple like minded riders and ride safe while having fun.

Enjoy the addiction but don't let it bite you bro!

biggrin.gif

Don't worry. That fire will be fueled each year after she sits in the garage for the winter and you get to take it back out. It always seems ungodly fast after not riding for about 3-5 months.

I feel I do have enough self control to back off eventually, but it’s too much fun at the moment.
I’m 44 and know better.

The most concern is what happens afterwards? Afraid the thrill will be gone and I’ll loose interest.
I’m on the bike 350 miles a week to and from work, and for play.

I know I’m going to get hammered sooner or later, and really want to nip this in the bud.

What do you guy’s do to keep it fresh?
Hey man, right up front, I ain't passing judgement. Here is my .02:
If you are in your comfort zone you will be trying to go faster everytime you go out. I recommend that you do the following. Go out somewhere and do a high speed run - get it out of your system. Then start looking at track days, curvy roads, something other than out and out speed in an uncontrolled environment. If you continually do high speed runs, eventually you will see the lights in your mirrors... think about those speeds and the financial aspects figure out what a ticket or two would cost and use that money to convert for the track.

I know we all get out and on it sometimes, but if you are a true speed junkie, it is only a matter of time before you get nailed...

For me, most days, knowing what I have is enough. But every time you blip the throttle, you run the risk...

Find nice corners...thats the way to beat the need for speed. I find corners far more interesting than blasts down a straight. Unfortunately you have to do the run first...make sure the corners are clear and free of sand/gravel and other obstacles...and then run the corners again.

I'd say cornering is the best form of entertainment this side of the speed limit...

busa is surprisingly agile around the corners. Only at the very edge of performance it loses to lighter bikes but who rides like that on public roads?

Find some new roads with turns. I have much more fun trying to find the elusive "perfect line" through turns I'm not 100% familiar with than blasting down a straight (but that's fun too).

I agree with MC that knowing it's there is enough, but sometimes my memory fades and needs a refresher too.  
wink.gif

Yes, you are
My name is Tim and I am also a BUSAHOLIC.
There is a price to pay for every man or womans addiction.
So you got to figure out if your will to pay the price or not.
My riding comes before pretty much everything.

Modify it - make a top end run & be done with it - You will get busted eventually. At 150 mph you travel the length of a football field in 1/2 a second. Try stopping quickly. Everyone is right - the corners are much more fun & tougher to learn.
Go to the track at Texas A&M - Texas World Speedway for a track day experience. Can't be beat.

Yeah....don't you think you're getting kinda old for this kid stuff! (Hehe - I'm 62)....anyway, I scratch that need for high speed blast itch maybe once a week, but ONLY on a semi-deserted stretch of road that is conveniently within a few miles of my home and then I only hold it for no more than 30 - 45 seconds, works for me and no tickets! Gulp! Then to keep the lust of the thrill seeking fires burning, I head for the twisties, again a 7 mile stretch of very low traffic with some very tight turns in it close to home. Nick 'er down into second and/or third and go for it....the sound of approaching max RPMs keeps my heart pumping and interest level up WITHOUT ever exceeding 80MPH or getting in over my head. There is a fine line between safe and reckless, stay on the safe side and learn to enjoy what you have! Have fun!

Yeah....don't you think you're getting kinda old for this kid stuff! (Hehe - I'm 62)....anyway, I scratch that need for high speed blast itch maybe once a week, but ONLY on a semi-deserted stretch of road that is conveniently within a few miles of my home and then I only hold it for no more than 30 - 45 seconds, works for me and no tickets! Gulp!  Then to keep the lust of the thrill seeking fires burning, I head for the twisties, again a 7 mile stretch of very low traffic with some very tight turns in it close to home. Nick 'er down into second and/or third and go for it....the sound of approaching max RPMs keeps my heart pumping and interest level up WITHOUT ever exceeding 80MPH or getting in over my head. There is a fine line between safe and reckless, stay on the safe side and learn to enjoy what you have! Have fun!
well put...

Yeah....don't you think you're getting kinda old for this kid stuff! (Hehe - I'm 62)....anyway, I scratch that need for high speed blast itch maybe once a week, but ONLY on a semi-deserted stretch of road that is conveniently within a few miles of my home and then I only hold it for no more than 30 - 45 seconds, works for me and no tickets! Gulp!  Then to keep the lust of the thrill seeking fires burning, I head for the twisties, again a 7 mile stretch of very low traffic with some very tight turns in it close to home. Nick 'er down into second and/or third and go for it....the sound of approaching max RPMs keeps my heart pumping and interest level up WITHOUT ever exceeding 80MPH or getting in over my head. There is a fine line between safe and reckless, stay on the safe side and learn to enjoy what you have! Have fun!
well put...
+1

Yes you are out of control!

But thats what having a busa is all about.
biggrin.gif

Yeah....don't you think you're getting kinda old for this kid stuff! (Hehe - I'm 62)....anyway, I scratch that need for high speed blast itch maybe once a week, but ONLY on a semi-deserted stretch of road that is conveniently within a few miles of my home and then I only hold it for no more than 30 - 45 seconds, works for me and no tickets! Gulp! Then to keep the lust of the thrill seeking fires burning, I head for the twisties, again a 7 mile stretch of very low traffic with some very tight turns in it close to home. Nick 'er down into second and/or third and go for it....the sound of approaching max RPMs keeps my heart pumping and interest level up WITHOUT ever exceeding 80MPH or getting in over my head. There is a fine line between safe and reckless, stay on the safe side and learn to enjoy what you have! Have fun!
+3..................but I'm in the same boat as you!!!
tounge.gif

+4

<!--EDIT|BigGeorge
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149814019 -->

I’m 44 and know better.
I got my first ticket in twelve years this spring. I was nailed for 80 in a 40. Seeing I hadn't had ticket in 12 years I didn't think it was that big of a deal until I found out the penalty points have changed drastically in those 12 years. After I shelled out over $650.00 for the lawyer and fines I learned where and when to get on it. The main drive home for me is a long straight two lane highway. I now find alternative routes that have more corners and less "runway" I'm 42 and know better too! I have to thank the Trooper that pulled me over though. 80mph was a gift
biggrin.gif
if he ticketed me for the actual speed, my bike would have been on a flat bed and I would have been in the back seat of the cruiser. I learned!!

Back