A Safety Question For All

The colored vest thing.. I am not so sure about this and here is my half baked reasoning..

When you see one of the day-glo vests, you typically think of a highway worker or a scooter rider.. slow, harmless objects (at least to a car).. I think we are anything but..

+1

Most of the time cars turn in front off you and I don’t think they can see enough of the vest over the wind screen to really stand out. IMO

Situational Awareness... you have to have it and it has to come natural to you (this is an entire subject)..., braking - practice and be darn good at it... have a whole bunch of good mojo... :laugh:

could write all day and never cover all of it. :whistle:

Last edited:
what is a headlight modulator?

It is an electronic plug in to the front headlight and it pulses less voltage and then full voltage to the low beam bulb.
It never turns off the bulb completely (that shortens the life) but it looks like it does.

I haven't had one person pull out on me since I added the headlight modulators. I like the results so much I put them on all of my bikes.

I have.
On 3 occasions now they have seen me and have pulled right out.
The first time, I couldn't figure out why?
The last time they waved to me.
They were mistaking the modulator, for me flashing my lights so as to indicate I was going to let them pull in front of me into the traffic.
Now I watch for that specifically.

+1 well said

(this may sound nutz) but what about our own lane on the highway. they have hov lanes. why not motorcycle lanes. i realize this is easier said than done but any promotion of reducing our dependency on oil is a good thing and doing this on interstates may increase motorcycle sales

I don't know about the other states, but in Texas, the HOV lane is cleared for motorcycle use. I use them whenever I can...no trucks, trailers, or busses...beware of trash buildup though, since most kave a "k"rail on the left side which seems to collect trash.:banghead:

aside from a h.i.d. setup or a bright neon yellow jacket, a brake light with a strobe perimeter would be perfect for the rear. i saw it the other day for a red light signal and i thought it would be great for our tail lights. basically, you apply the brakes and the strobe halo flashes quickly around the brake light assembly. again, just a thought! :whistle:

Headlight Modulators are legal in all 50 states, or 58 which ever you prefer.
Don't let anyone tell you different. There is a lot of bad information out there.
I deal with it all the time. Many riders, dealers and LE are not familiar with motorcycle laws.
Frustrating ....

I don't know about the other states, but in Texas, the HOV lane is cleared for motorcycle use. I use them whenever I can...no trucks, trailers, or busses...beware of trash buildup though, since most kave a "k"rail on the left side which seems to collect trash.:banghead:

About 10 ears ago I did some research on the HOV lane use for motorcycles... I checked all the states from Okc to the east and west, (I was taking a long ride)
All allowed MC to use HOV. :thumbsup:

All this is great advise and I'm using most if not all the recomendations. One post here mentioned 'hard braking' this really cought my attention and I started to wonder if I really know how to hard brake correctly.
Maybe someone with this type of experience can weigh in and give us some pointers.

thanks,

loud pipes is false security! rollin around thinking your ear deafening pipes are your ticket to always being noticed is ridiculous, some people do drive with their windows up and music on, some people are hard of hearing and some people just don't take notice to loud noises either way, ever notice motorists that don't pull over for screaming sirens?
I agree LOUD PIPES DONT SAVE LIVES.. If that was the case than people would'nt run into Harleys :whistle: The ONLY drivers that can hear LOUD PIPES are the ones BEHIND the motorcycle( remember that exhaust sound travels to the rear and away from the cycle) and not to the front and the to the other drivers that need to hear it. I drive an 18 wheeler for a living and with over a million miles behind me I have as of yet been able to say " wow I sure am glad that cycle had loud pipes or I never would have known it was right along side of me" By the time I hear them they are already past me . If I was changing lanes it would be too late by then cuz they woulda been crushed.

Headlight Modulators are legal in all 50 states, or 58 which ever you prefer.
Don't let anyone tell you different. There is a lot of bad information out there.
I deal with it all the time. Many riders, dealers and LE are not familiar with motorcycle laws.
Frustrating ....

I was under the impression that if they turned the light on and off they were illegal.
If the light is just going dimmer and stronger, and is on 100% of the time that was ok?
That is what was in the literature that came with my modulator.

I was under the impression that if they turned the light on and off they were illegal.
If the light is just going dimmer and stronger, and is on 100% of the time that was ok?
That is what was in the literature that came with my modulator.
you are exactly correct and that is the rub...they can not turn the light "off" they can only "dim" the light.. It is probably easier on the light to only dim it anyway rather than off and on... FWIW.. not an option on HID systems..

How about a linky for the tailight/turn signal modulater? I know that they certainly catch MY attention when I see them on bikes....

Ok, I’m looking for some input from all of you. We all know that motorcyclists may as well be invisible when we’re on the road. It’s often the case that car drivers don’t notice us until after a near miss or worse. We’ve all seen the “loud pipes save lives†and “look twice, save a life†bumper stickers, but our sportbikes generally don’t have loud pipes and people are not looking twice. So here’s my question. What can we do that would most effectively increase awareness of our presence on the road? I’m interested in all kinds of ideas, from flashing neon jackets to television ad campaigns. I know we’ve got some creative minds here on the oRg. Have at it.

Develop self awareness. 99.99999% of all motorcycle "accidents" are 100% preventable by the rider, no matter whose fault it is.

Develop self awareness. 99.99999% of all motorcycle "accidents" are 100% preventable by the rider, no matter whose fault it is.
agreed... that situational awareness thing goes a LONG ways... (and using ones head)

I'm not a fan of flashing lights, outside the established norm. You see a modulated headlight, 8 out of 10 people fixate on it wondering what it is. No thanks.

Back