Alt. routes to the bash?

dolilind

Registered
Since 129 (coming from maryville) looks like it will be closed for the bash, is the only other way there is going across the skyway and adding another hour or so to my 11 hour trip allready?

I would try to hit the Gatlinburg to Cherokee section as early in the AM as you can or late at night. The traffic through that area is bad even when there are no rock slides. You can by pass Gatlinburg, but you still have to go through Pigeon Forge (there was a rock slide between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge too)
I think it's cleared now. That is a major tourist area, so just giving you a heads up.

Thanks for the heads-up. My plan is to leave from work on Weds and drive all night. I should be passing through that area around 4 a.m-ish

Thanks for the heads-up. My plan is to leave from work on Weds and drive all night. I should be passing through that area around 4 a.m-ish

I would think about 441 to 321 then crossing the Foothills Pky to 129. It takes you through the middle of nowhere but you don't have to cross the big mountain going through the Park on 441. A local told me that was the best way from Pigeon Forge to 129 and I have ridden that way.

What about going from Memphis to Tellico Plains and then across the Cherhola to Robbinsville?

been playing with some directions for a detour, looking like i need to go to nashville over to knoxville then down to tellico plains and across the skyway, and wow that adds another 2 hours to my ride

I would think about 441 to 321 then crossing the Foothills Pky to 129. It takes you through the middle of nowhere but you don't have to cross the big mountain going through the Park on 441. A local told me that was the best way from Pigeon Forge to 129 and I have ridden that way.

This information is not correct. Here is a link to a map showing the road closed and rock slide locations.

http://news.tennesseeanytime.org/system/files/129 Rockslide 3-19-10%232.pdf

been playing with some directions for a detour, looking like i need to go to nashville over to knoxville then down to tellico plains and across the skyway, and wow that adds another 2 hours to my ride

Is the two hour addition the time it takes to get across the Skyway?

thanks for the info but from what i see that part of 129 where the foothills pkwy connects heading towards robbinsville is the part that is closed

Since 129 (coming from maryville) looks like it will be closed for the bash, is the only other way there is going across the skyway and adding another hour or so to my 11 hour trip allready?

11 hours? I'm 4+ hours from you and it's only an 11 hour trip for me! Ya SLOW POKE! :laugh:

28 across Fontana then connect to 143 into Robbinsville is a route that only adds 12 miles to the trip according to the GPS.

11 hours? I'm 4+ hours from you and it's only an 11 hour trip for me! Ya SLOW POKE! :laugh:

28 across Fontana then connect to 143 into Robbinsville is a route that only adds 12 miles to the trip according to the GPS.

Yeah yeah, but you also ride down and i get to haul extra bikes and people..:moon:

Hmm, I hope to be traveling with some other members meeting in Memphis. Then from there we will have to see the quickest route.

Is this lookin like a sure thing that 129 will still be closed???????? I thought that the clean up was to be well under way by the 20th of March??

Is this lookin like a sure thing that 129 will still be closed???????? I thought that the clean up was to be well under way by the 20th of March??

still up in the air at when it will be open. some say next couple weeks others say could be middle of summer

Some might want to consider picking up 81 around Knoxville and coming 26 thru Asheville. I dont know where you all are coming from.

Yeah yeah, but you also ride down and i get to haul extra bikes and people..:moon:

Bah, nevermind D! 28 doesn't get where I was thinking after looking closer. Shoot out of Maryville down to Hwy 360 (you should know that one well), down to Tellico Plains and back up the Skyway to Robbinsville. :thumbsup: Just watch out for those black streaks in the turns on the Skyway, they can be a bit distracting (ahem - SHANE!). :rofl:

Back