Aftermarket rear spring installation

As a matter of fact, preload doesn't take any travel out!

Sincerely,
Smartass :moon:

yea,adjusting preload takes travel out of the spring by "pre compressing it", hence the term "preload". Anyway, I'm not doing this again. Myself and many others have tryed to explain these things to you on a number of occations. Sometimes loses have to be cut. I asked about how to install a spring so if you dont have any information usefull to the topic,(which you obviously dont) please see your way out of this thread and go try to start problems elsewhere.:beerchug:

Liltroy

Check your PMs

Ooooops I see you already did.

Last edited:
If you've got a spring compressor you can swap springs yourself. Just make sure you end up with the same installed height. Some springs are longer or shorter than the OE spring. If that's the case you may need a few more parts.

yes, I have a spring compressor and I've installed springs on automobiles in the past. If its that easy, I'm just wondering why people are charging so much to do it.:whistle:

Liltroy

Check your PMs

Ooooops I see you already did.

yea, sorry about that bro, kinda got sidetracked and hadnt had a chance to reply yet.This isnt something I'm in a hurry to do so I think I'll pop the rear shock off and see if this is an easy a job as I think it'll be before I put any money out. Thanks for the offer though. If I end up sending it out, I may take you up on it.:thumbsup::beerchug:

yea,adjusting preload takes travel out of the spring by "pre compressing it", hence the term "preload". Anyway, I'm not doing this again. Myself and many others have tryed to explain these things to you on a number of occations. Sometimes loses have to be cut. I asked about how to install a spring so if you dont have any information usefull to the topic,(which you obviously dont) please see your way out of this thread and go try to start problems elsewhere.:beerchug:

I hate to burst your bubble my fine suspension guru, but adding or removing preload has absolutely no effect on the amount of travel within the shock, or forks for that matter.

As far as your question about how to change your shock spring, if you must ask for help on a simple chore like changing a shock spring, I'm thinking your advise on more advanced suspension issues would be questionable?

Now brothers, let's play nice. No sense biting off someones head when he's trying to 'look' his way into getting some help. And if we pizzed someone off in the past, let's just let by gones be by gones and realize we're all here to help each other out. Sometimes when you know as much about a lot of different things like you do, TB, it's a little harder to see us underlings 'flexing out'. I totally respect a man's knowledge and experience, it means a lot of times our good humor button has to be a little more available than the other one. Thanks to you for the help you've been so kind to share with me on gettin' my bike back together. You obviously went farther than the 'extra mile' on my behalf and I appreciate it! Good people, great times, best bikes! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

I hate to burst your bubble my fine suspension guru, but adding or removing preload has absolutely no effect on the amount of travel within the shock, or forks for that matter.

As far as your question about how to change your shock spring, if you must ask for help on a simple chore like changing a shock spring, I'm thinking your advise on more advanced suspension issues would be questionable?

so if you preload the spring and fully compress it you still have complete travel???

preload a spring does change its compression rate. not the rate of the spring but the rate at which the same amount of travel is used...

3. Number of Active Coils (length / height of the coil spring): Determination of the active coil number varies according to spring design. Total coil number -2 for springs with both ends closed. Count the total coils -1 for springs with one end closed and one end open.

As the number of active coil decrease, the spring rate increases.

Normal Springs has a fixed spring rate.

Step Linear Springs are springs which have 2 different spring rates.

Progressive Springs have a variable spring rate.

from google

Traxxion dynamics also does a wonderful job, and has top notch customer service. Dan worked with me and knew the springs in and out. If you are getting a new spring you may as well go ahead and get it revalved while ur @ it. JMO
Posted via Mobile Device

so if you preload the spring and fully compress it you still have complete travel???

You cannot fully compress the shock spring by adding preload. Your busa only has about 10mm of spring compression available within the preload adjustment.

preload a spring does change its compression rate. not the rate of the spring but the rate at which the same amount of travel is used...

You are correct to a certain degree. Let's say for easy calculations your shock spring is a 1.0kg/mm linear spring. Now lets use the full 10mm of preload available to compress the spring. We have established the spring takes 1kg of weight to compress the spring 1mm. Let's also assume the shock came from the factory with 15mm of preload. Now we have added an additional 10mm to achieve a total of 25mm of preload on the spring.

The shock spring came with a preload of 15mm which took 15kg of weight to overcome the preload. With the addition of the 10mm of preload, it now takes 25kg to begin to compress the spring.

However, we have not changed the amount of travel within the shock. We have only increased the amount of weight by 10kg needed to bottom the shock. The shock reaches it's stop long before reaching "Spring Bind". The shock stops remain the same. The amount of travel from stop to stop remains the same.

You cannot change the amount of travel withing your shock by adding or removing preload.

If I have not explained it thoroughly, Andrew Trevit explains suspension in detail with great illustrations in his book "Sportbike Suspension Tuning". The best suspension book I have ever read :beerchug:

Dude, just crank in a couple turns of preload and make it "STIFFER"! :rofl:

I thought you were the suspension GURU that was going to school the rest of us on rear suspension "Stiffness"? Wasn't it you on a previous thread that became a bit sarcastic when I gave a guy who was asking a similar question about rear suspension stiffness a little advise? ???

youve explained yourself fully.:whistle:

Traxxion dynamics also does a wonderful job, and has top notch customer service. Dan worked with me and knew the springs in and out. If you are getting a new spring you may as well go ahead and get it revalved while ur @ it. JMO
Posted via Mobile Device

Great Advise!

Heavy springs can easily overwhelm the OEM valving!

this is going to be a thread jack so I apologize now but I've been thinking about replacing my rear shock also so I'm going to throw my question in here.

According to Suzuki the bike can have a GVWR of 950 (GenII). The bike itself is 575 so that leaves 375 pounds for passenger/cargo weight. I weigh 250 geared which means that I have 125 pounds left for a passenger and cargo.

So here is my question. Would changing out the rear shock increase the GVWR or is the subframe just not designed to carry that much weight? I want to do a long ride with my girlfriend in the summer but she weighs 115 and with gear and cargo I know we will be over that.

And I thought I was thread jacking this. :laugh:

i didnt even see your reply.... :rofl:

so if you take 10mm of preload then the travel isnt shortened 10mm :poke:

i know you cannot fully compress a spring with a preload adjuster. thanks for the clarification. just using as an analogy. you can only smash a spring so much till its bottomed out. stick to refering people to the book if your going to keep attempting to belittle people.

If I have not explained it thoroughly, Andrew Trevit explains suspension in detail with great illustrations in his book "Sportbike Suspension Tuning". The best suspension book I have ever read :beerchug:
lol, you do realize that with the article you just quoted here(sport rider magazine) that you just proved my point,right? now go back and re-read what you just pasted about the preload causing the spring to require more weight to be compressed further and your understand why adding preload does, in fact cause the suspension to feel more stiff. It doesnt magically change the spring rate....it simply compresses the spring which in turn takes some of the travel out of the spring(not the shock...the spring!) and cause it to flex less with the same amount of rider weight applied. See your copy-pasted article above for more details. :laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

lol, you do realize that with the article you just quoted here(sport rider magazine) that you just proved my point,right? now go back and re-read what you just pasted about the preload causing the spring to require more weight to be compressed further and your understand why adding preload does, in fact cause the suspension to feel more stiff. It doesnt magically change the spring rate....it simply compresses the spring which in turn takes some of the travel out of the spring(not the shock...the spring!) and cause it to flex less with the same amount of rider weight applied. See your copy-pasted article above for more details. :laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

you dont write for a magazine so you dont know what your talking about:rulez::laugh:

I write for a mag...(Hope it gets published sometime in the next 10 years~!~) :laugh:

As a matter of fact, preload doesn't take any travel out!

Sincerely,

Posted via Mobile Device

Oh Lordy, you are among that group as well, eh? :please:

Sport rider magazine? :dunno:

Take a few night classes on comprehending what you read. :cheerleader:

Oh Lordy, you are among that group as well, eh? :please:

Sport rider magazine? :dunno:

Take a few night classes on comprehending what you read. :cheerleader:

I was going to tell you the same. and one more thing.....

arguingOnTheInternet.jpg

Back