Aftermarket rear spring installation

Liltroy

Donating Member
Registered
I've been looking at getting a stiffer rear spring since I weigh in at around 250ish and my question is....Is this something I can install onto the shock myself or will I need to send it to someone? I'd prefer to do it myself and save some cash if I can but dont see any write-ups on the subject.???

If you bike is not stretched...the stock rear spring is ok with your weight.

If you bike is not stretched...the stock rear spring is ok with your weight.

ok, let me edit the original question....I'm also usually carrying my wife so thats another ....um....160lbs:whistle:(yes, she's reading over my shoulder,lol) I'm also planning to upgrade the front springs so I though I might as well do both ends.

ok, let me edit the original question....I'm also usually carrying my wife so thats another ....um....160lbs:whistle:(yes, she's reading over my shoulder,lol) I'm also planning to upgrade the front springs so I though I might as well do both ends.

It wouldn't hurt to upgrade it, but you could just add a little preload :beerchug:

I already went up 2 turns on preload...I mean, it seems to do fine by myself but when I ride two up it feels a little front light if you know what I mean. Everywhere I looked it says that the rear spring is ideal for a 165-180lb rider which is far from me. The deal is, I gotta get new fork seals put in and I was going to go with some racetech springs up front so that thought maybe I should upgrade the rear to "balance" out. Am I just spending money for no reason? and if not, is there a write-up somewhere for me to install the rear spring myself?

If you decide you want somone else to do it contact Goldenchild. Cloudnine Motorsports ( Sponsor ) He did my 1000 lb spring for me.

If you want to know exactly which spring to use, go to the Race Tech Suspension site and there is a chart THEN go to CloudNine Motorsports to order! I have an Eibach rear spring and it actually makes the bike noticably more responsive....especially when loaded down. You could actually send your OEM unit to Daniel (CloudNine)and he would charge you very little to R&R the unit then send it back to you. Raydog

ps aftermarket spring on right

P1000279.JPG

Last edited:
I was checking out cloudnines site and its like $280 for them to put one of thier springs on? I know the racetech spring is only $109 so I'm wondering how much of that price is installation. I was looking at having about $400 in both front and rear, thats why I was asking about doing it myself. Thats $218 for front and rear springs and $180 to have the new front seals, fluid, and front springs installed. I dont know if I can fit that rear install into the equation. I may just go ahead and order the rear spring and take a look and see if I can do it myself. Shouldnt be that big a deal unless theres a special tool needed to take the bottom mount off the shock assembly. At least I hope:whistle:

Just call Daniel for info/advice...believe me, you'll be glad you did.

Ship us the shock and we will install a spring for $150. Putting the spring on is simple with the correct tools but without it is a struggle and can be a bit dangerous as well. We also have a new shock coming out very soon that is a high quality aftermarket shock that will be built for riders specific needs.
It is aimed more at stretched bikes to allow correct travel, valving and spring and will be set up on case by case basis for rider/bike specifics.
If you have more questions call and ask for Bob. I will be happy to help you!

this is awsome info...
weighed myseld on sunday fully geared minus my helmet
came in @ 220
I imagine my better half would come in @ 200 to 210

so I load up about 430 everytime we 2up.

the bike handles close to the same... but I got a feeling that upgrading the rear would most certainly improve handleing...

OH SO MANY MOD...
so little:
money
birthday
holidays
TIME!!
Posted via Mobile Device

If you've got a spring compressor you can swap springs yourself. Just make sure you end up with the same installed height. Some springs are longer or shorter than the OE spring. If that's the case you may need a few more parts.

I was checking out cloudnines site and its like $280 for them to put one of thier springs on? I know the racetech spring is only $109 so I'm wondering how much of that price is installation. I was looking at having about $400 in both front and rear, thats why I was asking about doing it myself. Thats $218 for front and rear springs and $180 to have the new front seals, fluid, and front springs installed. I dont know if I can fit that rear install into the equation. I may just go ahead and order the rear spring and take a look and see if I can do it myself. Shouldnt be that big a deal unless theres a special tool needed to take the bottom mount off the shock assembly. At least I hope:whistle:

PM sent

I've been looking at getting a stiffer rear spring since I weigh in at around 250ish and my question is....Is this something I can install onto the shock myself or will I need to send it to someone? I'd prefer to do it myself and save some cash if I can but dont see any write-ups on the subject.???

Dude, just crank in a couple turns of preload and make it "STIFFER"! :rofl:

I thought you were the suspension GURU that was going to school the rest of us on rear suspension "Stiffness"? Wasn't it you on a previous thread that became a bit sarcastic when I gave a guy who was asking a similar question about rear suspension stiffness a little advise? ???

this is going to be a thread jack so I apologize now but I've been thinking about replacing my rear shock also so I'm going to throw my question in here.

According to Suzuki the bike can have a GVWR of 950 (GenII). The bike itself is 575 so that leaves 375 pounds for passenger/cargo weight. I weigh 250 geared which means that I have 125 pounds left for a passenger and cargo.

So here is my question. Would changing out the rear shock increase the GVWR or is the subframe just not designed to carry that much weight? I want to do a long ride with my girlfriend in the summer but she weighs 115 and with gear and cargo I know we will be over that.

Dude, just crank in a couple turns of preload and make it "STIFFER"! :rofl:

I thought you were the suspension GURU that was going to school the rest of us on rear suspension "Stiffness"? Wasn't it you on a previous thread that became a bit sarcastic when I gave a guy who was asking a similar question about rear suspension stiffness a little advise? ???

ok smartass.:whistle: Cranking up the preload has already been done and helped a ton. Its fine for me but with wifey on board starts feeling a bit nose light.You can only take so much travel out adjusting preload ya know.:rulez:

ok smartass.:whistle: Cranking up the preload has already been done and helped a ton. Its fine for me but with wifey on board starts feeling a bit nose light.You can only take so much travel out adjusting preload ya know.:rulez:

As a matter of fact, preload doesn't take any travel out!

Sincerely,
Smartass :moon:

Back