Aftermarket air filter

Maxx_Zouk

Registered
Hi guys, which is the best aftermarket air filter for the Gen 3 Busa? Are there any visible gains in performance even when using the filter in conjunction with the stock exhausts? How many miles before it needs to be cleaned?

Sprint filters seem to be way the to go based on what I've seen. I do like the fact that they aren't oiled. Just use compressed air to blow the gunk off of them. Way easier than the K&N filters that I have in every other vehicle. There are several versions of the sprint filter. I stuck with the P08. I would stay away from the F1-85 for street riding as people have said there was noticeable dust buildup inside the air box. Even so the P08 is still see through and may do the same over time but it is better for street use.

20211119_202444.jpg

20211119_202453.jpg

20211119_202539.jpg

The website recommends this one, and K&N doesn't even offer one for the Gen 3. I'm surprised...
Sprint Filter P037 is an ultra-fine, waterproof air filter developed specifically for use in demanding conditions such as dirt, water and dust. Ideal for Dual Sport motorcycle, P037 can filter debris as small as 37 microns while providing airflow equivalent to our class-leading P08 road/race air filter.
Suzuki Hayabusa air filter, Suzuki 13780-10L00

Sprint filters seem to be way the to go based on what I've seen. I do like the fact that they aren't oiled. Just use compressed air to blow the gunk off of them. Way easier than the K&N filters that I have in every other vehicle. There are several versions of the sprint filter. I stuck with the P08. I would stay away from the F1-85 for street riding as people have said there was noticeable dust buildup inside the air box. Even so the P08 is still see through and may do the same over time but it is better for street use.

View attachment 1652706

View attachment 1652707

View attachment 1652709
I'm also going with the Sprint P08 then. Thx everyone for your prompt support.

I saw a FB post over the weekend saying not to run the Sprint P08 as people were getting dirt in the box. I was a little concerned since I have one sitting on the bench to drop in when the ECU returns. BUT they showed pics of the P08-F1, not the regular P08 even though stated it's a P08.

i wouldnt run that see through. sprint filter for street use either. you can see your hand right through it, almost no filtration. coming from the off road drag race scene, you always need to check your air filters especially to see if you are drawing in dirt. dropping a bunch of $$$ on a racing engine only to trash a top end on a bad filter is ridiculous. that sprint filter being see through is letting all that fine particle dirt get sucked right in. to each their own. what i like to do it wipe the air box after the air has passed the filter with a white paper towel and check for dirt. you can quickly see if the filter is doing what it should.

Man, I am really torn. On the one hand I just paid for an ECU Flash, and I'm going to put my Yosh AT2 pipe on the bike, (but the only video Moore Mafia has posted with the AT2 was done on a bike with a Sprint P80 filter, so I don't know if the fuel map was optimized for that, and they didn't say which flavor. I'm calling them on Tuesday).

The newer dark gray Sprint P80 F1 is 250 bucks but flows three or four times more air than the old orange P80 (around $100). And is apparently pretty close to the orange one in fine particle filtration. I feel like letting the engine breathe that much more easily will be gratifying. And Brock himself loves these things:
Sprint Filter P08 F1-85 Long-Term Test
How to Clean an Oily Sprint Filter

But on the other I do want to protect my fragile aluminum engine. This is kind of scary:

Does Sprint let more sand and dust than OEM

What I'm thinking about doing now is putting in the P08 F1, but also taking the OEM filter and cutting it up and building some silicone or rubber gaskets, and having a pair of external filters I can simply push into the ram air intakes if I get stuck on some super dusty back road with a lot of traffic on it, or rain, or forest fire smoke, Etc. Might be fairly easy to do, and might be best of both worlds. Most sport touring is in pretty clean air, so my inclination is to go with the thin filter. Sprint talks about how the metal mesh they use to sandwich the filter sheet on the F1 improves filter performance.

Last edited:
I guess the real question is what is the damage potential of these "minimal/harmless particles?"
He's talking about the black P08 F1:
We were delighted with our visual inspection of minimal/harmless particles on the “clean” side of the airbox, as well as the negligible difference in dyno performance after quickly blasting the P08 with a shot of compressed air. As far as we are concerned, these are the type of filtering results we would expect from a restrictive OEM air cleaner, so to see them out of a high-performance aftermarket race filter is very reassuring. That said, maybe we should not be so surprised? As we know the Sprint Filter P08 material is entrusted to protect the engines in some of the highest performance, most exclusive street bikes ever built, including most recently, the 2017 Ducati Superleggera 1299.” – Brock Davidson, President Brock’s Performance https://blog.brocksperformance.com/sprint-filter-p08-long-term-test-kawasaki-zx-10r-2016/

Last edited:

View attachment 1652706

View attachment 1652707

View attachment 1652709
I bought the sprint air filter P08 like you have and was planning to install it tomorrow. But I just did quick research and saw that it allows dust,sand and iron particles easily to engine. I now question my plan now. What do you think about the filter so far? Are you happy with it's performance and filtration?

Reactions: pcs
I bought the sprint air filter P08 like you have and was planning to install it tomorrow. But I just did quick research and saw that it allows dust,sand and iron particles easily to engine. I now question my plan now. What do you think about the filter so far? Are you happy with it's performance and filtration?
its fine so far. Ive got 2k miles on it.

Man, I am really torn. On the one hand I just paid for an ECU Flash, and I'm going to put my Yosh AT2 pipe on the bike, (but the only video Moore Mafia has posted with the AT2 was done on a bike with a Sprint P80 filter, so I don't know if the fuel map was optimized for that, and they didn't say which flavor. I'm calling them on Tuesday).

The newer dark gray Sprint P80 F1 is 250 bucks but flows three or four times more air than the old orange P80 (around $100). And is apparently pretty close to the orange one in fine particle filtration. I feel like letting the engine breathe that much more easily will be gratifying. And Brock himself loves these things:
Sprint Filter P08 F1-85 Long-Term Test
How to Clean an Oily Sprint Filter

But on the other I do want to protect my fragile aluminum engine. This is kind of scary:

Does Sprint let more sand and dust than OEM

What I'm thinking about doing now is putting in the P08 F1, but also taking the OEM filter and cutting it up and building some silicone or rubber gaskets, and having a pair of external filters I can simply push into the ram air intakes if I get stuck on some super dusty back road with a lot of traffic on it, or rain, or forest fire smoke, Etc. Might be fairly easy to do, and might be best of both worlds. Most sport touring is in pretty clean air, so my inclination is to go with the thin filter. Sprint talks about how the metal mesh they use to sandwich the filter sheet on the F1 improves filter performance.
Bet that was my bike. Lol. Super happy with it man. You’ll like the AT2 but yeah I’d get the details on tunes and mods before jumping in.

Back