ABS Brakes are coming

I've been working on cars for 30 years or so and i don't like them. I don't think they work like they are designed to half the time. I've seen the wheels lock up and slide with abs. I'm glad i bought my bike before they put abs on them.

i agree...i have been working on cars for almost 4 years now and it seems there are more problems from abs then there is good things...ABS does not stop someone from crashing it just reduces the chances...it seems more people think that they can do more in a car with ABS and their dumbasses fly throw snow ice whatever it may be and they are the ones that get in accidents...ive never had a car or bike with ABS and I'm doin jsut fine...stop being panzies and ride a bike/car like ya got a pair

You can always disable the ABS, and just have conventional brakes.:whistle:

That may cause a trouble code with the ECU :whistle:

And you are still forced to pay the extra $$$ plus
all the extra crap on the bike to make servicing
more difficult :banghead:

Keep it simple :thumbsup:

Oh it would, but you can remove the bulb also if you don't want ABS. If later you decide you want it or sell the the bike just reconnect it.:thumbsup:

Oh it would, but you can remove the bulb also if you don't want ABS. If later you decide you want it or sell the the bike just reconnect it.:thumbsup:

If you remove the bulb, the ECU still gets a code.

I hope that the ECU doesn't shut the bike down
because it thinks that your brakes aren't working
properly :whistle:

Isn't it Honda that has optional ABS on their sportbikes this year? Anyway I'm sure there will be a way to unhook it without the ECU knowing. Where there's a will, there's a way.

i think it actually helps them do stoppie because front wheel will never lock up!:laugh:

Last edited:
Had to get in on this one...... kinda my area of interest

I have it on the Harley and would not consider buying a bike without ABS if available.
You may never panic brake..... and you may never crash... you may never ride up to a stop sign with diesel, oil or anti-freeze on the road.
you may never ride in the rain. but you may....
check out braking distances in the rain with and without ABS.
Grab all the brake you can front and rear on a dry and wet roadway... see what happens.
If you lock the front wheel, the maximum distance you can travel is 21ft before you meet the pavement. Most people never realize the front wheel locked and don't have the training or presence of mind to release the brake. They are target fixated on whatever caused them to grab all the brakes in the first place.
I don't care how well you ride or for how many years you have ridden, no one is immune to a panic brake situation.

- ABS vs. No ABS[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
There are times where they would very helpful...wet, icy, dirt, or gravel covered roads.

But the added cost, weight....and it ads another complex system to the bike. I would prefer
a standard braking system over ABS. In dry conditions a skilled rider can stop a bike just as
well if not better than a ABS system

(plus 1)

I work on abs systems all the time in the trucking industry. Not really very complicated at all. When abs problems do arise, very simple to diagnose. some units have led lights on the modules to tell you whats wrong so you don't even need a puter to hook up to them to tell you the issue. I really think they all looking at the potential life saving they can do. Yes, in good riding conditions standard brakes work great. But if you like me, I ride rain or shine. ABS becomes something I would not mind at all. With the economy and gas prices more and more new riders are out there. this may help them significantly control the bike in a scary situation. But to each their own....My two cents.

BTW, most abs modules have their own fuse. Pulling the cluster apart to pull the bulb out would be the hard way of doing things...

Last edited:
......if you have to depend on abs to able to brake, you should not ride sport bike!:whistle:

Absolutely! If you need ABS, you shouldn't ride anything more powerful than a bicycle....
twocents-1.gif

Absolutely! If you need ABS, you shouldn't ride anything more powerful than a bicycle....
twocents-1.gif

That is not the intent of ABS...

ABS is only used in emergency braking and rarely used (hopefully).
Kinda like buying insurance, you hope you never have to use it.
ABS is a safety feature not a crutch.
Threshold braking will out stop ABS by a few feet on dry, clean, oil and water free surface. Threshold braking on a less than clean dry surface cannot be achieved.
Remember what keeps a motorcycle upright. The gyroscopic effect
At speed a motorcycle will remain relatively stable as long as both wheels are turning, when one or both are locked even for a short period of time, a huge amount of instability is induced.
A rider cannot release the brakes and re-apply at the standard ABS rate of 6 times a second.
I recently trained on ABS on both dry and wet surfaces.
At 55mph grabbed all the front and rear brake I could, never letting off. It takes several runs at slower speeds to pull the front brake lever as hard as you can. Natural tendency is to release it at the first sign of a lock up.
I would never do it on a NON ABS motorcycle. The result would have been ugly.
Ride an ABS bike equipped motorcycle on several types of surfaces and then decide.
The future is here and ABS will be a standard safety feature on motorcycles.
Just like fuel injection was... many did not want it, now it is generally standard and accepted.

Last edited:
If you remove the bulb, the ECU still gets a code.

I hope that the ECU doesn't shut the bike down
because it thinks that your brakes aren't working
properly :whistle:

All it does it dissable the ABS. Base braking still works normally.

Back