92-Year-Old Woman Dies in Shootout With Police

92-Year-Old Woman Dies in Shootout With Police - Were police justified?

• Yes

Votes: 52 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hard to Say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oops, my bad. Missread the quote while typing...that should of been DC Tony. I should of caught on quicker with the lack of caps lock and all.
all_coholic.gif

From the updated article:

Authorities said Johnston opened fire on police who tried to enter her home, prying off burglar bars and forcing open her door, during a "no-knock" drug raid. Officers returned fire, killing her.[/Quote]

"After we brought the informant in and interviewed that informant, he told us that he had no knowledge of going into that house to purchase drugs," he said. "That's what he told us. I don't know if he went in or not. We don't know if he's telling the truth."

The informant then said police called him and told him "you need to cover our ass." [/Quote]

First, let me say that the media is horrible and I'm aware they may not be (and probably aren't) providing all the facts at each stage of the happening in a way that is 100% fact based.

Second, we've all seen how these "stings" work.

A) An undercover officer or an informant buys a controlled substance.

B) Surveillance is set up to watch for foot traffic and to possibly photograph transactions.

C) In instances that are not severe a warrant is typically served at the door with a knock in uniform with backup and they just push their way in once the seal is broken or the perp is picked up as they leave the dwelling or at some other locale (ie. trying to get into the car at the grocery store, vans roll up and a handful of officers wrestle the perp to the ground and secure the area). In more extreme cases, normally 12+ officers are used to secure the area and break into the dwelling from two points of entry while surrounding the dwelling from all sides from cover. Normally there is no knock but the shouting of "Police - get down" once they enter the dwelling. Typical SWAT fashion and attire.

So with that said my feelings are that something corrupt was going on here. An 88 year old woman shooting three officers is hard to imagine unless she's wielding a shotgun. However, getting that shotgun out, aimed and trigger pulled on target(s) in the amount of time it should have taken these eight officers to pop the door, sweep & clear the house before arriving at this woman, who has to be fumbling around and making a holy racket trying to get the shotgun out and on target, is almost unimaginable.

My first question is, "why are only eight officers trying to take the dwelling and from a single point of entry (from the sound of it)"? Following that closely is, "why in plain clothes"? If this is the type of drug-house that warrants this kind of attention both of these questions should raise a lot of eyebrows.

Where was the surveillance? Why didn't they record anything on tape, CD, or DVD? Don't they need/want that for prosecution? Wouldn't that go a long way toward getting a conviction?

And the one million dollar question is, "why would an informant lie about a bunch of police that will stick together not just on their story (which seems to be unraveling) but also have a great potential to make this informant's life a living hell or to end that life easily"? The follow-up question is, "aren't informants normally used because there is a trade off of some sort"? Either cash or some kind of allowance is made legally for said informant. So as an "informant" you're losing something by rolling over on the police. Either cash or some form of freedom.

The last question is, if it's mistaken identity... "which house is the real drug-house nearby and why haven't we heard about what they were really going after"? If it's not the wrong house, where are all the drugs that earned the warrant? So some officers got shot, what were the results of the operation? How much drug-money was recovered? How many drugs are off the streets?

This smacks of scandal and cover-up.

Anyone seen the movie "Training Day"? Did the old lady have jewelry or money stashed in the house that someone found out about and wanted?

- - - - - - To the nearsighted LEOs who shread people online - - - - - -
rant.gif

LEO's who defend LEO's without any ability to be objective need to find new employment in my opinion. Your duty as an officer is to protect and serve the COMMUNITY as a whole. Turning a blind eye to anything that may have been done wrong by anyone in Law Enforcement is an amazing level of ignorance. In addition, telling people who don't see things from your point of view that they must be hardened criminals who have done time only serves to earn more disdain for those with a badge by the public. Yes, it's the right of an officer to fire back once fired upon. No one here is disputing that. We've all been able to see that something wasn't right prior to that incident and as such we're not sure shooting and killing her was "right" or "justified", warrant or not.

Something I learned when I used to bounty hunt.

I talked to a lawayer that the guy I worked for had on retainer.

I asked him what was the legal issues if I ever had to shoot someone.

He told me make sure they were dead.

he said if I shot someone and they didnt die, it would be my word against theirs.

if I shot someone and they died, it would be my word against..... oh wait.. it would just be my word.

I have also worked with LEO's when I used to bounty hunt.

right or wrong, I could see a mistake occuring, entering the wrong house, granny getting wounded. finishing granny off and a few officers taking some rounds as a cover up.

did it happen in this case?

who knows.. the only people that know for sure if granny was a drug dealer, or if the leo's made a mistake are granny and the leo's that were there.

granny is dead and the leo's have a lot to lose if they made a mistake.

if they didnt make a mistake and it went down the way they said, there will allways be speculation.

If they did make a mistake and there is a cover up, the ONLY way that will come out is if someone who was their starts to not be able to live with the guilt and they come forward

(HT_USMC @ Nov. 28 2006,09:37) From the updated article:

Authorities said Johnston opened fire on police who tried to enter her home, prying off burglar bars and forcing open her door, during a "no-knock" drug raid. Officers returned fire, killing her.

"After we brought the informant in and interviewed that informant, he told us that he had no knowledge of going into that house to purchase drugs," he said. "That's what he told us. I don't know if he went in or not. We don't know if he's telling the truth."

The informant then said police called him and told him "you need to cover our ass." [/Quote]

First, let me say that the media is horrible and I'm aware they may not be (and probably aren't) providing all the facts at each stage of the happening in a way that is 100% fact based.

Second, we've all seen how these "stings" work.  

A) An undercover officer or an informant buys a controlled substance.  

B) Surveillance is set up to watch for foot traffic and to possibly photograph transactions.  

C) In instances that are not severe a warrant is typically served at the door with a knock in uniform with backup and they just push their way in once the seal is broken or the perp is picked up as they leave the dwelling or at some other locale (ie. trying to get into the car at the grocery store, vans roll up and a handful of officers wrestle the perp to the ground and secure the area).  In more extreme cases, normally 12+ officers are used to secure the area and break into the dwelling from two points of entry while surrounding the dwelling from all sides from cover.  Normally there is no knock but the shouting of "Police - get down" once they enter the dwelling.  Typical SWAT fashion and attire.

So with that said my feelings are that something corrupt was going on here.   An 88 year old woman shooting three officers is hard to imagine unless she's wielding a shotgun.  However, getting that shotgun out, aimed and trigger pulled on target(s) in the amount of time it should have taken these eight officers to pop the door, sweep & clear the house before arriving at this woman, who has to be fumbling around and making a holy racket trying to get the shotgun out and on target, is almost unimaginable.

My first question is, "why are only eight officers trying to take the dwelling and from a single point of entry (from the sound of it)"?  Following that closely is, "why in plain clothes"?  If this is the type of drug-house that warrants this kind of attention both of these questions should raise a lot of eyebrows.

Where was the surveillance?  Why didn't they record anything on tape, CD, or DVD?  Don't they need/want that for prosecution?  Wouldn't that go a long way toward getting a conviction?

And the one million dollar question is, "why would an informant lie about a bunch of police that will stick together not just on their story (which seems to be unraveling) but also have a great potential to make this informant's life a living hell or to end that life easily"?  The follow-up question is, "aren't informants normally used because there is a trade off of some sort"?  Either cash or some kind of allowance is made legally for said informant.  So as an "informant" you're losing something by rolling over on the police.  Either cash or some form of freedom.

The last question is, if it's mistaken identity... "which house is the real drug-house nearby and why haven't we heard about what they were really going after"?  If it's not the wrong house, where are all the drugs that earned the warrant?  So some officers got shot, what were the results of the operation?  How much drug-money was recovered?  How many drugs are off the streets?

This smacks of scandal and cover-up.

Anyone seen the movie "Training Day"?  Did the old lady have jewelry or money stashed in the house that someone found out about and wanted?

- - - - - -  To the nearsighted LEOs who shread people online - - - - - -
rant.gif

LEO's who defend LEO's without any ability to be objective need to find new employment in my opinion. Your duty as an officer is to protect and serve the COMMUNITY as a whole.  Turning a blind eye to anything that may have been done wrong by anyone in Law Enforcement is an amazing level of ignorance.  In addition, telling people who don't see things from your point of view that they must be hardened criminals who have done time only serves to earn more disdain for those with a badge by the public.  Yes, it's the right of an officer to fire back once fired upon.  No one here is disputing that.  We've all been able to see that something wasn't right prior to that incident and as such we're not sure shooting and killing her was "right" or "justified", warrant or not.[/Quote]
Open minds think alike !
super.gif

(RCKTMAN @ Nov. 22 2006,11:27) the details would be nice but i think establishing the fact that they did have a warrant for that residence, They "knocked and announced", and then"kicked the door",and were fired upon by an occupant of the house. SORRY LIBERALS, im not gonna be killed by ANYONE including a 92 year old woman. If you shoot at the police you have just bought the ticket, so prepare to ride the ride. How is it that the police are wrong for protecting themselves while serving a warrant on a house? Who cares what the warrant was for. I dont care if it was for a seatbelt ticket or a first degree murder. THEY have a warrant, SIGNED by a judge. Lets try and think beyond the fact that she was 92. You know whenever i kick down a door on a warrant I ALWAYS stop and check the age of the person trying to kill me before i return fire........  
guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif
It was a " NO KNOCK " warrant.

guns.gif

guns.gif

guns.gif

Considering that a bunch of cops once knocked on my door by mistake, I'm willing to bet this (wrong address on the warrant) happens a lot more that anyone likes to admit.

One day my doorbell rings around 7AM. I look down to the front door from the 2nd floor and see a group of cops/agents standing by my door. I call down to them, and the lead guy responds tersely. "We need to speak to you immediately" (or something to that effect). I wasn't going to argue and got downstairs in near-record time. At the front-door I'm facing 5 or so cops/agents. The ones in the back have guns visible.

Me: "Can I help you?"

Sheriff: "Are you Bob Smith?" (I forget the name they were looking for)

Me: "No...." He requests my drivers license and I get it for him.

Sheriff: "Is this 846 Venice Blvd?"

Me: "This is 846 Venice Way."

Silence.

Me: "Venice Blvd. runs parallel to this street, two blocks that way."

Sheriff: "Ok, thanks."

I never found out what the guy (Bob Smith) did, and I don't think I want to. Thankfully I guess he wasn't that much a risk to simply blow the door open.

Right or wrong here's my take on this...

Something is wrong with the whole situation...

Period...

And I agree with the above post about Leo's always siding with another Leo regardless of what happened...

And just so it's clear where I stand on this type of thing...

If someone, anyone, kicks my door in without properly identifiying themselves...
It's on...
And lots of lead will fly...
If it's in the middle of the night and something like this were to happen, a lot of Leo's could well be lost...
Because I will fire through the Bedroom wall at the front door, on the other side of said wall...
So whoever it is that did not identify themselves, before kicking in my door, will be dropped from the side, through a sheetrock wall...
And whats bad for the possible intruder(s) is that I will be firing from the side...
So if it's a crackhead, he has no protection and will be dropped just inside the door...
If it's a Leo or Leo's who did not clearly identify...
The rounds will take them through the side where the Body Armor is nearly nonexistant...

And before you begin to flame me for this, please consider...
I have no problem with Leo's and/or the Law in general...
But I will never, repeat, never allow someone to enter my Home by busting down a door without proper warning and Legal authority...

rant.gif

David

Seems to be a little fu**ed up now. Someone named Sam sold drugs from that house?? No one named Sam lives there and the nark was told to lie.

These are the kind of cops that make people frown upon the orgainzation of law officials.

Did they also lie to the judge to get the warrant?

So with that said my feelings are that something corrupt was going on here. An 88 year old woman shooting three officers is hard to imagine unless she's wielding a shotgun. However, getting that shotgun out, aimed and trigger pulled on target(s) in the amount of time it should have taken these eight officers to pop the door, sweep & clear the house before arriving at this woman, who has to be fumbling around and making a holy racket trying to get the shotgun out and on target, is almost unimaginable.[/Quote]

The Minions to Big Brother apparently had a difficult time prying off the security bars so she probably had a few moments to prepare herself.

No-Knock policy = Police Nation

Not to worry though, the shidbags involved are on PAID VACAT...err I mean PAID LEAVE.

I can't imagine what that poor old lady's last moments were like and what her family must be going through. To make it through life for 88 years and then go out that way makes me sick. I hope the 3 minions that were shot by her get an infection which results in a slow painful death.

Heh No-Knock...I wonder how that works in states with the Castle Doctrine?

No knocks are for shid bags that have quick methods of destroying evidence along with armed guards and man traps, specifically designed to kill those of us that go where others won't. Don't even attempt to paint every man and woman that wears a badge for the possible mistakes of another. If they F#$%d up, they will pay dearly. Unlike shid bags that come to court weekly and plead guilty and receive yet another slap on the wrist; cops get the max and then get to go to prison, with all their buddies.

I'm not going to go into police procedure, but after hundreds of entries. No injuries, no deaths. Only by the grace of God and extreme planning, training and execution. Entry teams wear heavy gear and carry shields, etc. I feel for your loved ones when you start lighting up the house Devious, you need to really think about what you are writing and examine your attitude in general. By the way LEOs have bought with overlap for years. Of course don't bother if you're one of the people I mentioned above; I'll understand.

Entries aren't taken lightly and months of work is usually involved. I'm sure this varies a great deal from department / office to department / office. Judges are usually hard and have to be presented with a great deal of evidence, no room for reasonable doubt. It is always felt that lives are at stake in these situations. Teams also look at team as well as criminal safety. We don't hit houses at night when children are present. We know if elderly people or pregnant women are present, etc. We clear neighbors out. Like I said I'm not going into details because LEO's have it hard enough without secrets and strategies being discussed on the internet.

And NO; we're not perfect, but if a mistake happened the punishment will be extreme and the family will be paid big bucks. Not that that brings her back.

Also once the primary door is breached all officers begin identifying themselves loudly and repeatedly. They should be well identified visually as well.

rant.gif

(dadofthree @ Nov. 29 2006,11:25) No knocks are for shid bags that have quick methods of destroying evidence along with armed guards and man traps, specifically designed to kill those of us that go where others won't. Don't even attempt to paint every man and woman that wears a badge for the possible mistakes of another. If they F#$%d up, they will pay dearly. Unlike shid bags that come to court weekly and plead guilty and receive yet another slap on the wrist; cops get the max and then get to go to prison, with all their buddies.

I'm not going to go into police procedure, but after hundreds of entries. No injuries, no deaths. Only by the grace of God and extreme planning, training and execution. Entry teams wear heavy gear and carry shields, etc. I feel for your loved ones when you start lighting up the house Devious, you need to really think about what you are writing and examine your attitude in general. By the way LEOs have bought with overlap for years. Of course don't bother if you're one of the people I mentioned above; I'll understand.

Entries aren't taken lightly and months of work is usually involved. I'm sure this varies a great deal from department / office to department / office. Judges are usually hard and have to be presented with a great deal of evidence, no room for reasonable doubt. It is always felt that lives are at stake in these situations. Teams also look at team as well as criminal safety. We don't hit houses at night when children are present. We know if elderly people or pregnant women are present, etc. We clear neighbors out. Like I said I'm not going into details because LEO's have it hard enough without secrets and strategies being discussed on the internet.

And NO; we're not perfect, but if a mistake happened the punishment will be extreme and the family will be paid big bucks. Not that that brings her back.  

Also once the primary door is breached all officers begin identifying themselves loudly and repeatedly. They should be well identified visually as well.

rant.gif
Sounds like you and your team do your job the right way...
So no problem there...
So what do you think happened with the entry team who killed an old woman in the dark...

David

(dadofthree @ Nov. 29 2006,11:25) No knocks are for shid bags that have quick methods of destroying evidence along with armed guards and man traps, specifically designed to kill those of us that go where others won't. Don't even attempt to paint every man and woman that wears a badge for the possible mistakes of another. If they F#$%d up, they will pay dearly. Unlike shid bags that come to court weekly and plead guilty and receive yet another slap on the wrist; cops get the max and then get to go to prison, with all their buddies.

rant.gif
That's the RIGHT way to do things. Props/Kuddos/Atta-boys/Thanks go to you and your fellow officers for serving justice as it was intended and with the preservation of life being a primary goal.

The more I read the media coverage (and again, I realize it's the media we're talking about here... so it's still a crap-shoot) of the events that unfolded three things really stand out to me.

1. The story keeps changing which probably means someones debriefing differed from that of others or of that which the department would like it to have been (or possible media confusion). Normally, this means there's a lie being told soooomewhere.

2. They purchased narcotics from "Sam" at the house that morning, got the warrant, broke in to take the house and secure the occupants. At least that's the latest story they've released. There is absolutely no mention of monitoring the house for transactions, foot traffic, or occupants. They claim drugs were found but they haven't ID'd which they found nor amounts, which sounds fishy. Besides, finding something and planting something to find are only different if you're there before the story is released to the press.

3. After reading more of the articles on CNN, she was using a revolver. She shot 2 officers in the lower extremities and 1 officer in the leg, the vest, and the face (if I recall the hits right). Thats five shots. Five! Five out of six rounds hit a target? Three officers exposed themselves to the business end of the pistol that the only occupant of the house was firing/wielding? I understand things happen fast in this type of situation but that seems like amazing odds, don't you agree? I guess you could say (poor) planning, training, and execution all factor in but regardless those odds are incredible.

Again, if this house warranted this kind of attention/action, I firmly believe they botched the whole operation before the warrant was ever signed (if the warrant was signed before this happened - that is).

By the way, not many of the posters on this board knock the LEOs... so ignore those that do. However, I think everyone on the board will call a stinker a stinker. I think we're really interested in the LEOs sharing their thoughts of this report based on your experience(s).

- HT

Until the feds finish their investigation we won't know. We have complete contact with CIs criminal informants. They're always held in suspicion, because they are shid bags that have no character, and yes they typically are getting out of a charge by working for popo; simple possession, etc. I don't think you can find an informant. I'm puzzled with the whole story. Like I said, if they F#$%^& up, they will pay. Eight in the unit seem to have been sent home. It seemed like in the original post only three officers were present. If the story dies in a couple weeks and you never hear anything again you can figure it was a drug house. But I won't be making any claims.

I forgot to mention that once the investigation ends, if the officers are found guilty of a criminal action they'll be indicted; no questions ask, and after tried and convicted; if that happens, then their agency and the officers themselves along with everything their family has will be open for civil action from the family.

I'm deeply sorry for the lose of life or even an injury to an innocent or actually even a criminal. Drug Dealers have destroyed this country. I cannot share some of my experiences related to these crimes. These guys stack their businesses ( house ) with babies and force the elderly to work for them. It is sad indeed. Just like the practice of using Juvies to sell, because they aren't punished. I'm a very poor represenative of law enforcement and actually by no means mean to represent myself as such. People in our society are actually raising children to be criminals. It is truly sad for our society as a whole. I ride through certain neighborhoods being shot at by toddlers with fingers, toy guns, sticks. But I'm also greeted by the sweetest smiles and waves by some of these babies.

Cops should do an unedited version and really show America what's going on.

Last week we were greeted in a hallway after entry by the subject of the arrest warrant associated with the search warrant. He had an automatic weapon in his hand. No shots fired. Had he F#$$% up he would have been killed. I do tend to get carried away because I live it every day. And let me clue all of you in. None of us make jack and have to put up with a lot from the public, which over the years seems to be getting nastier. I choose to do it because I believe in it and yes I could be earning more. People are so glad to see you when they are in trouble and cuss you the next day on a traffic stop.

I want to thank every officer on this site for what you do. My hat is off to all of you.

Back