520 or 530?

bear

Registered
Besides the obvious size and probably strength is there any advantage of a 520 chain? I would assume there is less friction with a 520 but it doesn't look like it would last very long.

Besides the obvious size and probably strength is there any advantage of a 520 chain? I would assume there is less friction with a 520 but it doesn't look like it would last very long.

Weight reduction is a big factor. It's popular as a race size, and may aid in squeezing in a slightly wider rear tire.

Just remember that as the gauge of rear drive chain goes down, so does it's overall strength.

If you are just using the bike for daily riding and some occasionally sees the track I would just stay with the 530 chain. Good luck with making your decision.

They are lighter then the 530, but in my eyes are weaker then the 530. Especially when a 520 is put on a bigger bike with a heavier rider.

weight is the only pro when you switch from the 530 to a 520. Strength and durability is reduced. Friction is the same.

Not so much the wight as the rolling mass. It's a big conversion for track bikes, I've got a 520 conversion on my CBR track bike.

Track bike means road course bike not drag bike...... drag bikes need the biggest chain made and I would never consider a 520 on a busa.......... never

I tried 520 with aluminium rear sprocket.
Resut is 10000km life.
Change metal sprocket today!!

FYI:

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5132.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

@bear

real / strong advantage ?

i guess not really.

ok you make some 1-2 hp at very max. rpm caused by the bit less friction the smaller chain has on sprockets but what for on street?
ok and you reduce the entire weigth because the 520 is a little bit less heavy than the 530 - i guess 2 or 3 pounds. (btw - what´s the weight of the entire busa??????)

disadvantage by less milage you can ride with the 520 compared to 530.
the pulling force of a 520 is smaller than at a 530 - arround i guess 1.000 lbs - look for the mechanical numbers for both.

and it can be difficult to get the ratio YOU want for YOUR busa
in 530 size all thinkable ratios are more or less possible and! available!
in 520 size not (as far as i know at the moment)

@bear

real / strong advantage ?

i guess not really.

ok you make some 1-2 hp at very max. rpm caused by the bit less friction the smaller chain has on sprockets but what for on street?
ok and you reduce the entire weigth because the 520 is a little bit less heavy than the 530 - i guess 2 or 3 pounds. (btw - what´s the weight of the entire busa??????)

disadvantage by less milage you can ride with the 520 compared to 530.
the pulling force of a 520 is smaller than at a 530 - arround i guess 1.000 lbs - look for the mechanical numbers for both.

and it can be difficult to get the ratio YOU want for YOUR busa
in 530 size all thinkable ratios are more or less possible and! available!
in 520 size not (as far as i know at the moment)

Yes you are right and im agree!!
But enough for me if only getting few less power loss and less rotate point mass.
Total 250USD for this , Not bad if only taking few efficiency.
My Judgment criteria is 1HP = 100USD;)

Back