300+ MPH

Turbo Bill,

You’re preaching to the choir!

I was just getting creative and said what it would take to easily do it. I know it's been done, I just got to thinking about truly fast machines and the X-15 and SR-71 came to mind. I know it doesn't feel like your going that fast but it would be fun to think/say you have been Mach 5+!!!!

It’s just ridiculous how far ahead technology is and most people don’t even know it. I work with Aircraft every day and it’s just amazing the things we had done back in the 50’s and 60’s that the average Joe doesn’t even know about yet.

Technology & Science, God this world is great! :super: :super:

I think Bill may have missed the Gist of my previous post(s), which was to illustrate how far we have come technologically in the last 20 to 30 years (well, 40 if you go all the way back to the development period of the X-15).  But, I digress; Guys like Vesco constantly prove the naysayers to be........well "Naysayers".  I love it when people say it cant be done, because sure enough, someone is gonna come along and make the claimant look stupid. The Videos just helped in the illustration of that point (plus they are pretty damn cool, dont you agree?).

Will someone take a modified, but otherwise "non-streamliner" bike to 300?  I'm not betting against it.

Look at how many guys,spending "how many" years trying to get into the 200 club at Bonnevile, or Mojave, etc.  They struggled their asses off!

Technology moves forward, and sweeps over their years of struggle. Now all it takes is a Haybusa, a little additional boost, and some duct tape.

It's not going to take long to overcome that next 44mph barrier, and put someone at 300.  I give it less than 6yrs. someone will "spend" their way to 300 by then.

apike001....Ok, I submit that I may have missed the gist of how technology marches along... and that we are further along in some areas than most know.. or are allowed to know... And certainly the Hayausa embodies some of that tech gain. Apike001, you mentioned a bit more boost and duct tape... I agree... though I believe the truth in reaching 300 mph on a sit-up Busa is just beyond duct tape ... CLOSER to duct tape than a streamliner though. But still in-between duct tape and a steamliner. Make a new class... an OPEN PARTIAL STREAMLINER... Check out the June 1999 edition of Cycle World pp40-41 and look at the 1956 MotoGuzzi with its "dust bin fairing... IT's cd was .44. (Yes its crude looking, but you could improve on it !) Now update that and do it do a Busa. The two main goals would be to enshroud the entire front wheel with a frame mounted fairing and tear drop the rear of the bike with a larger bubble than it comes with stock and one that bulges out on the rear sides with wind vanes to keep the aft body slip-stream as laminar as possible (where the passenger seat is and where the passengers legs would be) The Farrari Testorrossa has these horizonal wind generators or slats aft of the rear wheels to smooth out the flow)... Keep it sit-up and make it still resemble the Hayabusa shape and bodywork. If you can get the cd down to a .35 - .37 range or so, then the power required for 250 now, would get you in the 300 area. You would need to keep the aerodynamic center of pressure behind the front wheel axle and wind-tunnel design it to minimize Yaw moments, pitch moments, and keep a slightly negative lift fore and aft even through minor pitching angles. All that would take is one good aerodynamic engineer Or myself, and the funding for wind tunnel testing. I was actually going to build such a vehicle that was loosely based on a machine at Epcot Center known as the "Lean machine", which had three wheels. I went to Parks Aeronautical School near St. Louis, found a Student working on his Master's thesis, and was able to give him a project using an "open streamliner" design concept. We successfully tested clay models and redesigned from a basic design then made dozens of smaller body panel modifications to minimize the yaw moments, and especially the desire to have slight negative lift fore and aft through a range of positive and negative pitch angles. The final design had a cd of .22 enclosed and .36 open. But then that's as far as I got. I still have the clay models... But the time, and funding to build a real one... not at that point or now. The student I sold got an A on his thesis and I got a wind tunnel costing hundreds of dollars per hour just for equipment use for free. I've thought about the project from time to time, but I just have not thought about it enough to actually begin persuit of such a task. At this point, if it became my job, I'd probably love it.

Can I come work for you?

You must be self employed (make lots of money?) to have the time to write that much stuff in the middle of the day!

J/k :bounce:

Hey, I'm flattered: at least I know smart people are reading my rants!

I am the owner-designer of this bike which the New Speed King rode over 250 MPH twice last month. I have been racing at Bonneville for over a 1/4 of a century and this bike represents what I think I know about top speed. We are returning next month and expect to go faster as it should be cooler and drier and Steve has now some experience riding a very difficult motorcycle. Look at the bike closely. This is all the rules allow. The rider and the wheels have to be visible. Going fast is a three part equation of power, traction and aerodynamics. All three have to be in harmony,something that doesn't often happen at Bonneville. Tires are a major concern as none are made for these speeds. I have chosen street Michelins for their strong design. A high speed car tire would be better but the square profile makes it hard to steer. Stay tuned as we assault the Salt soon.  LSL  Imagestation.com closed, link removed

To Landspeed Larry:

WOW !!!!! Good to have you here. You're undoubtably the fastest bike rider...actually the fastest in the world for an open sit up motorcycle.... Good luck on your 250 + mph assault. I'll be there in 2004 or 2005 with my car.

I see the rules still do not allow anything to tear drop in behind the back of the rear tire tread... That has not changed since I was at Bonneville in 1986.
Your design certainly looks about as streamlined as one could get without going to an enclosed lay-down streamliner. (Maurice Olsen look at it.. you should be honored and happy to have the fastest sit up bike rider responding to the furum you started !!!) It looks akin to a sit-up "open" streamliner. Very good design especially for the somewhat restrictive rules. I know the rules at the Salt Flats are stringent in areas (wheels visible, nothing extending behind the rear wheel. I wondered why rules do not allow an enclosed back wheel... I know an enclosed front wheel would be more subceptable to side winds and inherently more unstable, but enclosing the back wheel to the rear of the back tire should be allowed, it should'nt be more unstable. Oh well, Formula 1, NASCAR and NHRA all have some restrictive rules too. I'm looking forward to meeting you at Bonneville. Mabee I should bring my Hayabusa just for kicks, It's geared for about 214 or so, with 271 hp at the rear wheel. I'll be so busy with my car, I probably would not have time for the bike. Talk to you soon.

The Salt is the Grand Slam of Land Speed Trials.  But at Maxton, NC, the concrete (1 mile airstrip) allows for greater traction but it's much shorter.  The fastest Street Bike Open Wheeled Busa there is Rich Yancy's #8 Budweiser clocked at 250.006mph in just 1 mile.

But whether at the Salt (Bonneville), the concrete (Maxton) or the Dirt (El Mirage), Horsepower, Traction and Aerodynamics truly IS the name of the game.  Hank, Dennis, John, Lee and everyone else who is in the 250mph ranks will tell you this.  

As for me, I keep trying to best all Nitrous records because, well...Someone has to.   But if you want to go really, really, really fast, you MUST have a turbo and to this date, A Hayabusa with a turbo.

Guy

wow.gif

Riddler: Yes the APS/BG 1350 represents the chassis and engine configuration. "A" means a Special construction frame, PS is partial streamlining, BG is a Blown Gas engine of a maximum displacement of 1350cc's. The bike is totally stripped to the bare frame as we prepare it for next year and the hope that it lives up to it's name: Project 260. We will also be at Maxton in 04 with a street Busa to challenge the outstanding 250 record of Rich Yancey's #8 LSL

Landspeed Larry - The Burklands have a machine for spin testing tires. Perhaps you could arrange with them to have a selection of motorcycle tires tested to determine how fast they'll go before they come apart.

http://www.tecaeromex.com/ingles/sar-i/motoi.html

Note the canard wings mounted at the bottom of the downtubes on Larry Welch's "Heavy Trip" rocket bike. On Welch's bike these were intended to help keep the front fork loaded so that it wouldn't pop back up too quickly if he let off the throttle rapidly. (The rocket motors loaded the fork).

On a Hayabusa or other 240+ mph bike the same concept without too much drag penalty could be used to keep the front end from getting light.

NO, I FOR ONE CAN TELL YOU ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO REACH 300 ON A SIT UP MOTORCYCLE AS I WENT OVER 250 MPH TWICE AT BONNEVILLE:rock:
idea.gif

muscle.gif
G'day blokes
plans and changes are afoot to achieve 300 + within the next 4 years ( God and $$ willing ) will it be a bussa most likely, maybe even 2 (wink ),will it look like a bussa not a chance , the secret will be aerodynamics & traction and something "special " this will be revealed when it happens . In the meantime its full steam ahead ,as we down under have a few light years to catch up to you guys
cheers
hawkwind

If there are two (2) engines, and a special frame, than it is NOT a hayabusa, which was the question.

When Don Vesco set the record at 303 MPH, he used a home-made frame with double Yamaha TZ750 engines.  When Don re-set the record at 318 MPH, using double 1015cc Kawasakis , he used the same frame.

Was the bike a Yamaha or a Kawasaki?

Or was it a Vesco?

If there are two (2) engines, and a special frame, than it is NOT a hayabusa, which was the question.

When Don Vesco set the record at 303 MPH, he used a home-made frame with double Yamaha TZ750 engines.  When Don re-set the record at 318 MPH, using double 1015cc Kawasakis , he used the same frame.

Was the bike a Yamaha or a Kawasaki?

Or was it a Vesco?
G,day Scott
you got your fingers in every pie
wink.gif
I believe it was a yamavesco/ vescosaki what ever it was it was bloody fast
I think it is excellent that people are starting to ask if it is possible to crack 300 on a "sit on bike " a lot depends on how you define " sit on MC" if you define it as a normal looking bike no I dont think it has a snow flakes chance in hell of reaching 300 but if you define it as a machine that you sit on or kneel in as against a "sit in " streamliner then I think it is very possible Scott are you aware of a motorcycle produced by Norton way back called the flying fish ? if not check it out this is where Im comming from and the some thing special will prolly only be valid down here
wink.gif
wink.gif
tounge.gif
anyway I've got my ring bit hanging out just trying to stay on your slipstream you yanks are bitchin
Hawkwind

wink.gif

wink.gif

Back