300+ MPH

All I have seen seems to be about 250 on the busa. Has anyone ever designed a 300+ Busa and if so, what did it take to get it to those speeds...

Having an argument over with my relatives over moto land speed records, aerodynamics, etc...

Thanks for the post ahead of time.

Dude.........250 to 300 is a massive jump........no, no, it's more than massive.
We'll probably never see that on a stock bodied Busa.......they are very aerodynamic for a bike but I doubt enough to pull 300.
I hope yer not arguing that a Busa could pull 300.
super.gif

I don't see anyway a busa could get there, 250 is REAL fast, 300 is nearly impossible without an enclosed fairing. Everything I have read about aerodynamics and motorcycles shows that it would be very very hard to get to 300.

i suppose with the right gearing and about 1200hp on the Busa it is possible. Not likely you could come out of it safe. The wobble would be incredible. Full enclosed maybe.

i suppose with the right gearing and about 1200hp on the Busa it is possible.  Not likely you could come out of it safe.  The wobble would be incredible.  Full enclosed maybe.
The most I've heard of out of a Busa is 565 hp........I'm thinking the same thing........it would take over 1000 hp to top 300.
I have my doubts that a 1000+ hp 4 cyl would even be reliable enough to make a one way pass, let alone a two way.....but I've been wrong b4. :beerchug:

NO, I FOR ONE CAN TELL YOU ITS NOT POSSIBLE TO REACH 300 ON A SIT UP MOTORCYCLE AS I WENT OVER 250 MPH TWICE AT BONNEVILLE:rock:  

I concurr with everyone above; 300 mph on a sit-up motorcycle (not a streamliner) is impossible.
I am building up a turbo car to run about 275 mph out in Boneville for 2004 or 2005. The record for a stock bodied car is right at 300 mph. Unfortuanately, a car has an advantage over a bike at top speed runs because of a lower drag coefficient. Let me add in accordance with motorspeed freak and ninjaeater that because the power required to accelerate any object at subsonic speeds rises with approximately the cube of the speed... that their estimates of 900 to 1200 rear wheel horse power is in the ball park of the power required, BUT IT DOES NOT MATTER, ITS still IMPOSSIBLE. EVEN WITH 5,000 HP, IMPOSSIBLE. WHY? Because the wind blast at 300 mph against a Hayabusa would EXCEED the traction available between the tire and salt surface. the rear tire would start spinning badly before 300 mph. The only way to do it would be to lower the Hayabusa's cd from 0.56 to about 0.32, then 480 hp would be enough to acheive 300 mph. However, if you lowered the cd to 0.32, then you would no longer have a sit-up Hayabusa, you would have a fully enclosed streamliner... an aircraft fuselage without wings. It would no longer even resemble a Hayabusa.
I suppose if you built a 5 mile long drag strip and laid out VHT for 3 miles instead of for 60 feet with an all-out drag tire that was built to survive the power, it might be doable, but not very practical...
I love my turbo Hayabusa, which is equiped with overdrive TTS 5th and 6th gears, but I'll be happy at 215 to 219 with it. 300 ? That's trying to pedal non streamlined sit-up bicycle to 60 mph on flat ground and in still air without any motor-pacing, then having the road turn to ice if you happen to exceed 48 mph.

lmao ok ok i definately dont like anyone thats smart and that fast, god i love hayabusa.org this has to be the greatest collection of gear heads on the globe

NOT impossible. but it is unlikely to happen anytime soon.
Frontal area of a Hayabusa is approx 7.8sqft. Frontal AREA is expressed as "F".
multiply the frontal area by the "Q" (Q= air pressure exerted against "F", expressed as a dynamic pressure measured in lbs. per SqFt).

Cd= the measured difference between the math, and the actual measured lbs. per SqFt. (see "wind tunnel").

CYCLE World claims Rad Greaves NA Haybusa's windtunnel testing revealed that a 124.2mph Hayabusa had a Q of 287lbs. and a Wind Tunnel Drag measurement of 140, which gives them a CD of .487

So, get the CD down, and the HP up (waaaaay up).

Ready for the next sent of required Calculations? This isnt hard stuff to figure out. The hard part is actually Applying it.

ok, 3 Calcs to go..........:D

Thanks booney1.  This is most likely one of the greatest collection of gear heads anywhere.  What can we say, It's why I joined. We all love speed. and TOP SPEED...  thus far, the Hayabusa is the best upright bike ever designed for top speed.  That Maurice Olsen is something you can stand by and argue for.  The Hayabusa, NOT the ZX-12, Gixxer 1000 or anything else has shattered all the records at the Bonneville Salt Flats, for a sit-upright street-based motorcycle.  (But for 300 mph and beyond, you'll need a streamliner...):

It wouldn't be a stock chassis/fairing Hayabusa but..............lets get creative.

Hayabusa powered bullet could probably do it!

Your basic bullet design sled with "TWIN" Hayabusa motors BOTH "Turbocharged!" :eek:

That should get you over 1,000 HP with twins and if you still had traction issues, you could go to a dual tire in the back.  Come on guys who has the funds $$$$ and wants to build it?

(Painted on the side) "POWERED by the fastest motorcycle in the world, HAYABUSA!"   :cool:

:super:  

Look up the X-15 project Conducted back in 60 thru 69 by NASA.

or, if you can find it, look at the Test Flights conducted by the builders, before they handed over the project to NASA.

Late 50's technology, and they went 4600mph (yes, thats four thousand six hundred plus miles per hour).      

yeah. that's fast.  please: right clik, and save, or I'll have to remove the links.

Can a bike go 300, sure........its already been done.

Can a "insert name of bike here" go 300mph.  Yes it can.

I had the honor of Don Vesco's frienship for the last decade of his life. During that time I learned alot while working with him at his shop. I got to help him as he worked on my stuff, and I got to help him on the Turbinator. I can tell you based on my own experience (moderate.... :cool: ) that getting a bike to 300 with Today's technology is not that hard. IT WILL require Streamlining beyond the factory bodywork, and it will require  a good dose of HP (COUGH COUGH......turbo COUGH).

Anyway, I"d love to write more, but my 3 min are up, so back to work!

470 mphin the TURBINATOR Powered by a ex- USMC CH-46 Helo Turbine {ooh Raah!} warning: high volume settings on playback will cause huge erections

please: right clik, and save, or I'll have to remove the links.

Here's a bit more for you Guys.

300 plus, on 70's Technology. I hope you Guys enjoy.

Silverbird -- Motorcycle Streamliner
1975 -- Sept. 15, Don was the first motorcyclist to exceed 300 MPH, setting a new AMA record in the Silverbird of 303.928 MPH for the mile and 302.657 for the kilometer.

2 yamaha 750 engines in this one.

Lightning Bolt I -- Motorcycle Streamliner
1978 -- Aug. 25, set a new record at 315.892 with two 1015 cc turbocharged Kawasaki modified KZ-900 engines. On Aug. 28, the record was raised to 318.598 MPH during filming ofABC Wide World of Sports TV special. On Sept. 27, during Speed Week, Don turned the fastest speed of the meet, including cars, at 333.117 MPH.

Thanks to Rick (Vesco) for the pics and links.
R.I.P. Don, You are greatly missed.

Apike

That X-15 is BAD A@@!

If anyone has been to the Air Force Museum in Dayton OH, you know what I'm talking about. What I would give to fly that or the SR-71!

:super: :vader: :super:

Got Busa and Apike001...
The original premise from Maurice Olsen was going 300 on a sit-up-wheel driven Hayabusa... and that's still impossible. STREAMLINERS DON"T COUNT !!!! (not for the original premise)... The Mach 7 + X-15 and Mach 5.7 SR-71 (it's true speed) are way off topic here... but you should not have stopped with the relatively SLOW X-15... the absolute world (or out of this world) speed record is for three men is in the capsule of Apollo 17 at 25,000 mph + using 1960's technology... BUT in all three cases the sensation of speed is minimal... you literally get more of a sensation of speed going three digits on a bone stock Hayabusa than from Apollo 17, the SR-71 or the X-15... (Of course 'Apollo 17 gets way more G's on re-entry) We're all going 18 miles per second (over 60,000 mph) right now oribiting the sun !!! Can you tell ? Oh, I've been to Bonneville too, and I met Don Vesco back in the 1980's... Streamliners are neat, but you have to admit, they look as far from a stock bodied sit-up motorcycle as a jet plane is to a car, though the engines and drive trains are the close. The Turbinator and Spirit of America (respectively the fastest wheel driven vehicle and fastest internal combusted-wheel driven vehicle (at 436 mph+) are classified as cars (4-wheels), not trikes (3-wheels) or motorcycles (2-wheels) though the streamlined bodies are similar for all three for streamliners at Bonneville. They all have drag coefficients of around .10 to .18 far, far less than cars which today range from .29 to .40 and way,way, way less than motorcycles ranging from comparatively horrible cd's of .55 to 1.0 ...1.0 is equiv. to a flat plate :super: If someone really wanted to blow past 300 on a stock bodied Hayabusa, the only way to do it would be with something like a Wiliams F-112 jet engine using THRUST. NOT wheel driven. But then that too would be "cheating" because it's not wheel driven... If you did that, (with a jet engine), then better stay in an extreme tuck!!!.... the wind blast would rip you off or lift the front of the bike quickly leading to a specatcular crash IF you had the strength to hold on IF you sat up.

Back