2024 Pashnit Touring on a Hayabusa

Our route weaves southward along the base of the range

Lots of hilly terrain & backroads

DSC04675(2).jpg

DSC04676.jpg

Of course, it wouldn't be a Pashnit Tour if we didn't throw in some single lane backroads. :laugh: :laugh:

DSC04677.jpg

Last edited:
Constantly harping on our riders to stay away from the inside line on remote roads like this. See all the sand?

DSC04684.jpg

Reaching Pine Flat Lake - this lake was nearly empty a few years ago

DSC04685.jpg

Trimmer Springs Rd around the perimeter of the lake is fast, twisty and zero other traffic.

DSC04686(2).jpg

Last edited:
Looks peaceful

DSC04688.jpg

DSC04690.jpg

Pine Flat Dam - odd factoid, there are very few natural lakes in California.

However, there are reservoirs everywhere typically all built in the 1950s & 1960s.

The state is even trying to build a new reservoir - north of Sacramento - Although this new reservoir has no natural water source or inflow. They want to pump water from the Sacramento River during wet years and fill the reservoir to store the water for dry years. Actually makes a lot of sense.

DSC04692.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody got ice cream. Gotta keep the troops happy.

DSC04694.jpg

Pay no attention to our gas prices. Things are stupid out here. As long as I feed Mark ice cream, we're good. :laugh:

DSC04694-2.jpg

Red bike parking only.

Buddy o mine paid $32,000 cash for a Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak short while back.

Yah nope. I paid less than half that for this lil red number here & all it needs is gas & oil. :laugh: And tires every three months.

DSC04695.jpg

Last edited:
Hugging the base of the Sierra Range. Badger is sort of a town shown on this map, but it's one house, and even that's abandoned.
Nobody out here.

With Sequoia NP to the due east, this road never gets any traffic, and it's too twisty for tourist or RV traffic.

Perfect for bikers.

map-highway245.JPG

Highway 245 will always be significant for me as a few years back, I was given a brand new Buell Ulysses to test ride and write a ride review article for a magazine. I took that bike here to test it out.

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4538.jpg

Last edited:
A few years ago, I was given a brand-new motorcycle off the showroom floor to road test for a magazine. Now, since most print magazines are a sad distant memory and Buell motorcycles are too, that dates this tale, but don’t let that detract from our story.

The dealership gave me three days and I planned to use every moment riding the bike to which I put 1600 miles on the motorcycle in those three days. In the middle of my road test, I had to ride it back across the state to home to attend my 5-yr old daughter’s hula recital. Yes, hula. Then leave the recital and continue the ride to use up my allocated time on the new motorcycle. The solution of course was to time the trek just right where I could ride the bike for the several days while passing through home base in the middle of the journey. Lastly I need time to write my road test article to submit to my editor & have the article published in the magazine that wanted the story.

Where to road test a brand-new Buell? I headed straight for Highway 245 in the Central Sierra Nevada foothills leaving at 3am timing my arrival in the region when the sun would be coming up.

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

Last edited:
Couple years ago the Busa & I were northbound on Highway 245 going solo, I came around one of these s-curves and there was some sand in the middle of the road - wrong lane position on my part. The whole bike slid both tires sideways about 4 inches, I just about shat my leathers, before it caught and straightened up. Thought if I crashed out here or rode off a cliff, nobody would ever find me. :laugh:

DSC00995.JPG

DSC00998.JPG

DSC01000.JPG

I’ve ridden 245 a few times during a loop thru the Parks just north. Riding east from Fresno towards King's Canyon NP one day I decided to take it and then looped around to enter the Sequoia NP and then up thru both parks and back down to Fresno. :) I like it much better than the entrance road to Sequoia that has way too many 10 mph switchbacks.

Somebody got ice cream. Gotta keep the troops happy.

View attachment 1681885

Pay no attention to our gas prices. Things are stupid out here. As long as I feed Mark ice cream, we're good. :laugh:

View attachment 1681886

Red bike parking only.

Buddy o mine paid $32,000 cash for a Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak short while back.

Yah nope. I paid less than half that for this lil red number here & all it needs is gas & oil. :laugh: And tires every three months.

View attachment 1681887

The Valero station or what’s left of it after the fire, on the way up 168 to Shaver Lake had prices over $6 a gallon. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone fueling up there.

Back