Alright alright alright got some real work done today

Got the new headers & mufflers in

View attachment 1632639

However when installing the new headers I encountered a problem

Broken header exhaust mounting flange

View attachment 1632640

The new header exhaust mounting flange:

View attachment 1632641

After a little bit of panic, I fixed this by pulling the bracket off the bottom of the bike and smashing it with a sledge hammer until things worked. It's an advanced technique.
View attachment 1632642

When I was inspecting my work after I had the headers on I noticed some blue fluid pooling.

I pulled the coolant reservoir off the radiator and it appears that the coolant line was fixed with...hot glue? Or something?

View attachment 1632643View attachment 1632644

I'm assuming this is just a standard line I can buy at NAPA or something, I'll go by tomorrow after work.

Oh and when removing the horn my front brakes ate the nut. So, that's neat.

Today I realized that I can't really even put both mufflers on until I fix the passenger footrest pillion, because it also holds the right muffler mount. Maybe I'll try to go drill those bolts out before dinner.

Super excited for tomorrow when the Stator cover comes in, and I can crank it again.
Why'd you stay with stock headers and not go with aftermarket?

I think I'll be at $2k in everything to fix it. Maybe a little less. I could have done it cheaper but I didn't take the time to source parts, too impatient.
I get the too impatient thing for sure but I'm sure you could of saved some money by asking around here for some parts. I just thru a whole stock exhaust in the scrap pile at work cause it was taking up room in my garage and I still have another one that's gonna be heading that way. But I'm sure a heavy as they are it'd still been expensive to ship.

I get the too impatient thing for sure but I'm sure you could of saved some money by asking around here for some parts. I just thru a whole stock exhaust in the scrap pile at work cause it was taking up room in my garage and I still have another one that's gonna be heading that way. But I'm sure a heavy as they are it'd still been expensive to ship.
I know I know, I feel guilty. I can hear my grandpa saying "You got more money than sense boy."

Well my stator cover didn't show up today like it was supposed to.

So instead I decided to spend hours trying to extract the sheered off foot peg bolts.

IMG_6786.jpeg

I finally started making progress with the bolt extractor and then boom, it snapped.

IMG_6789.jpeg

Now I have a hardened steel extractor jammed down the middle of this bolt. Cool.

So I burned out a dremel with a tungsten carbide bit (not kidding) to put a deeper hole in it:

IMG_6790.jpeg

On the next go around I held the heat gun on it for a full 3 minutes to melt the thread locker:

IMG_6794.jpeg

So then after a few hours and a back ache I finally got this stupid thing out:

IMG_6795.jpeg

Oh and then I got the other one off in 5 minutes. I should have just used more heat the first time.

IMG_6797.jpeg

So the lesson I've learned is more heat when thread locker is present, and don't use brute force on the bolt extractor.

Now I'm just going to be refreshing the USPS tracking repeatedly until the cover shows.

1614656249285.png

Day 6 is the day!

The stator cover finally came in at 7pm, so I skipped dinner (huge deal) and went to work:

IMG_6804.jpeg

IMG_6806.jpeg

It went together and mounted pretty cleanly, I was a little surprised. I expected last minute resistance.

IMG_6811.jpeg

And not wanting to piss off the neighbors I rigged up a super duper secure mount for the side that is missing the passenger pilion:

IMG_6814.jpeg

And it worked! Took a little fiddling but got it fired right up:

This is later after the bike is warmed up:

I rode it up the block a little bit with my awesome exhaust mount and it felt GREAT. I need to really get the exhaust mounted (ordered Pilion from Partzilla, maybe 1-2 weeks) before I can feel it out but initial indications are that this thing is in great shape after a little TLC.

After my little test ride next to my CBR:

IMG_6833.jpeg

IMG_6836.jpeg

Okay so anyone know what this little shield over the rectifier is called? Looks broken but can't figure out what to search for:

IMG_6830.jpeg

Not sure why are you removing the broken bolts from the subframe. It is obviously bent and should be replaced. It will be much cheaper to replace it rather than try to get it straightened out and usable. You can buy Gen II subframes on Ebay delivered for about $45 and they are relatively simple to replace.

Day 6 is the day!

The stator cover finally came in at 7pm, so I skipped dinner (huge deal) and went to work:

View attachment 1632820

View attachment 1632821

It went together and mounted pretty cleanly, I was a little surprised. I expected last minute resistance.

View attachment 1632822

And not wanting to piss off the neighbors I rigged up a super duper secure mount for the side that is missing the passenger pilion:

View attachment 1632823

I rode it up the block a little bit with my awesome exhaust mount and it felt GREAT. I need to really get the exhaust mounted (ordered Pilion from Partzilla, maybe 1-2 weeks) before I can feel it out but initial indications are that this thing is in great shape after a little TLC.

View attachment 1632824

View attachment 1632825

Okay so anyone know what this little shield over the rectifier is called? Looks broken but can't figure out what to search for:

View attachment 1632826
Looks good and you are coming along nicely.....well done..

As for the belly pan fairing, it will come with your fairing kit....I saw it in the picture you provided...

Looks good and you are coming along nicely.....well done..

As for the belly pan fairing, it will come with your fairing kit....I saw it in the picture you provided...
Day 6 is the day!

View attachment 1632820

View attachment 1632821

View attachment 1632822

View attachment 1632823

View attachment 1632824

View attachment 1632825

View attachment 1632826
Fairing kits include that, like @Bumblebee mentiomed above, and if not, some people take them off and you might get lucky and find a member with one sitting on a shelf collecting dust and ready for a new home.
On another note, I’m not even going to ask how much you paid for that header and those OEM potato launchers :hide: ! There has to be dozens of those in member’s attics/garages covered in spider webs. Lol! I’m glad you got that stator cover replaced without pinching your fingers and teaching your neighbors a couple of new bad words and that you were able to ride it it for a bit.

Not sure why are you removing the broken bolts from the subframe. It is obviously bent and should be replaced. It will be much cheaper to replace it rather than try to get it straightened out and usable. You can buy Gen II subframes on Ebay delivered for about $45 and they are relatively simple to replace.

I thought I was the only one who thinks the subframe is bent. I don’t have a gen2 so I made no mention however

oh poop really? I can't tell I've never really had a bike apart like this before, I've always worked on cars.

how can you tell it's bent? I'll go check it out today

Fairing kits include that, like @Bumblebee mentiomed above, and if not, some people take them off and you might get lucky and find a member with one sitting on a shelf collecting dust and ready for a new home.
On another note, I’m not even going to ask how much you paid for that header and those OEM potato launchers :hide: ! There has to be dozens of those in member’s attics/garages covered in spider webs. Lol! I’m glad you got that stator cover replaced without pinching your fingers and teaching your neighbors a couple of new bad words and that you were able to ride it it for a bit.

lol I actually got the headers and mufflers for $200 I thought it was a reasonable deal.

That cover did scare the crap out of me :)

oh poop really? I can't tell I've never really had a bike apart like this before, I've always worked on cars.

how can you tell it's bent? I'll go check it out today
Check it against the other side, I am suspect of where the paint is missing as it looks like it has been flaked off when the bar bent...

Maybe someone with a gen 2 has the sub frame exposed and can shoot you a picture or two..

Or go to Goggle images and check out the sub frame pictures from gen 2s....it looks bent compared to a few I've seen...

Oh wow it is SUPER BENT. Like obviously incredibly bent.

Left side:

View attachment 1632867

Right side:

View attachment 1632866

Why didn't ya'll tell me sooner? sheesh.

I can't believe I didn't see that, its bad.
I would say it took a lot of force to break off those bolts in that carrier...

Honestly I was just looking at your progress in extracting the broken bolts and not paying attention to anything around it...if I was there in person I probably would have noticed it.

That sucks...

You will get this bike sorted out and road-worthy soon enough. My first Busa was a 2011, also a Copart bike that had plastic damage only. It was three model years old at the time. I repaired it and it was a wonderful bike. I put about 40,000 miles on it before it was stolen. I now have a 2008. One thing you will find with a bike from Copart or IAAI is that it will come with a "Salvage" branded title. Not sure about your state, but in most states, even if the bike is perfectly repaired, the title will forevermore be branded as "Prior Salvage" or "Rebuilt". Unfortunately this will impact its resale value, so keep your expenses as low as possible if you hope to recoup your investment.

P1090242.JPG
This is my Copart bike after I was done repairing it.

You will get this bike sorted out and road-worthy soon enough. My first Busa was a 2011, also a Copart bike that had plastic damage only. It was three model years old at the time. I repaired it and it was a wonderful bike. I put about 40,000 miles on it before it was stolen. I now have a 2008. One thing you will find with a bike from Copart or IAAI is that it will come with a "Salvage" branded title. Not sure about your state, but in most states, even if the bike is perfectly repaired, the title will forevermore be branded as "Prior Salvage" or "Rebuilt". Unfortunately this will impact its resale value, so keep your expenses as low as possible if you hope to recoup your investment.

View attachment 1632876This is my Copart bike after I was done repairing it.

Awesome thanks for sharing! Bike looks amazing. That's good to know about the rebuild title. It seems like you can get great deals on copart if you're patient, but the fees and salvage title can really hurt.

Back