Noob, 1st busa with an interesting project.

kev504

Registered
Hey, been fixing and flipping bikes for a few years, a couple sport bikes but never a Busa, I came across this at an impound lot, only info I got was it was a theft recovery, he thought it was an 05 and fairings were rough. I ran over on lunch break after studying the pic he sent. Everything on the bike appeared to be gen 2 and noticed ABS ring in front wheel. Bike had been laid down, low speed, scraped stator cover,rearset, fairing and then had just sat in impound for a few years, they got LA title and I negotiated for $2k purchase. Neck vin matches title and is 05 frame, however, gen 2 everything, engine, cluster, forks, st damper, rad, fairings and the sticker on right side of frame by your knee states meets model year 2012 epa standards so I'm kinda baffled. Under the crusty chinese tank cover was perfect pearl white paint and once fairings were off everything appears very clean, cables well managed and has PC V, Brock exhaust and a trac Dynamics extended swingarm! Bypassed ign switch knowing it won't start but I'd turned over fine w hot battery. Think I did ok for $2k and fuel flush stator cover and tune up from sitting should have her purring again. What do y'all think??? Get chec message so couldn't fig out how to toggle to mileage, some electronics aren't happy at the moment, have a learning curve to troubleshoot elec on busa platform but can fig it out I'm sure

received_198918718483680.jpeg

KIMG0147.JPG

KIMG0143.JPG

KIMG0142.JPG

KIMG0141.JPG

KIMG0144.JPG

Welcome, you've got your hands full there...looks like it was rode hard then put away wet out in the sun...

It's a gen 2 (2008-2020) alright and with ABS it's 2012 date fits as that's when they put it on the bikes..

Don't know how or why anything would say '05....

Nice to see a Hayabusa resurrected from certain death at a wrecking yard...

I know! It doesn't make any sense, nothing on the bike is 05 except the vin stamped on the neck and the title. Thrives in these parts aren't too smart, definitely not smart enough to restamp a vin or weld a different steering stem into an aluminum frame. They usually just grind it off and ride.

The bike looks HORRIBLE , below the surface isn't bad at all though, actually one of the cleanest looking mechanically I've worked on in a while. The heat shield foil under tank and below intakes looks shiny and brand new, like very few heat cycles, airbox, engine, intake all has no residue or oily build up.

Carfax says it was in a total loss incident in 12/15, I'm assuming it has sat in the sun untouched for 5+- years and Louisiana sun toasted the chinese fairings badly, being a 2012 I'd bet it has pretty low mileage. When I power up gauge just says chec, I can toggle through odo, trip 1 and 2 but no mileage shows, do I have to clear all codes before it will show mileage? New ignition switch is already ordered and will be here tomorrow, possibly not having the ign resistor is putting it in chk as well.

Browsing the threads I see lots of useful info here and think I'll start a resurrection thread

Carfax says it was in a total loss incident in 12/15, I'm assuming it has sat in the sun untouched for 5+- years and Louisiana sun toasted the chinese fairings badly, being a 2012 I'd bet it has pretty low mileage. When I power up gauge just says chec, I can toggle through odo, trip 1 and 2 but no mileage shows, do I have to clear all codes before it will show mileage? New ignition switch is already ordered and will be here tomorrow, possibly not having the ign resistor is putting it in chk as well.

Browsing the threads I see lots of useful info here and think I'll start a resurrection thread
It's a Suzuki, so you'll figure it out.
Yes, please start that thread.

@kev504

the heck

what a pile of garbage?

I hope that you only paid very little for it
because judging by the external conditions, the resuscitation will cost you a lot - I estimate around 2500

the busa on the pic is a gen2 without abs so a ´08-´12
starting with ´13 it should have the abs i guess

the "check" in the speedo may be caused by sidestand out

and for all future jobs look for the gen2 ´08-´12 manual incl. microfiches.

@kev504

the heck

what a pile of garbage?

because judging by the external conditions, the resuscitation will cost you a lot - I estimate around 2500

Maybe your interpreter app is sick. The OP sz he paid $2,000 and the pic shows an ABS ring on the right side hub. Is that where they go? He also said the VIN and title say it is a 2005 but oddly there is a 2012 EPA sticker on it as well. Nearly everything else is from a Gen2. 2013 or newer? Confusing eh?

@kev504

the heck

what a pile of garbage?

....I applaud anyone who will take the time and spend the effort saving a Hayabusa from the scrap heap....

I plan on it needing "everything" a bike needs from sitting + a set if fairings. It's not a show bike and not trying to turn it into one. What's going for it is that when it was stolen and immediately laid down it was low mile with all the mods already done
If you plan on flipping it, it surely won't net you much profit from everything you will need to do to it...but if you keep it a while, hang out here and enjoy it for a bit, it will all be worth the money you will spend....

Tough crowd. I think its a nice find for 2k
Definitely :thumbsup:
I definitely seen much worse...years ago I helped a buddy of mine retrieve an RZ500 out of a corn field after the 16yr old owner went off the road and into it..

The father of the kid sold it as is where is and the new owner could retrieve it as he never wanted to see it again...he was against his kid buying it in the first place..(rich dairy farmer kid).

This was in '85 and he paid some stupid low price for it...the good thing is the bike was popular and parts were easy to get. I think he still has the bike and it's worth some really stupid amount of money now.

Bike- 2k
Ign/gas cap- 175
Rear MC(stuck) 30
Left rearset-50
Chinesium fairings-$650
Tires- $300
fluids, misc-$100
Stator cover+gasket $50
Total----. $3305 + a week or so nights and weekends, that should leave plenty on the table, $5-6k after made pretty? $1700-$2700 for 10-15 hours work and ride it for a month or 2 til it sells

Bike- 2k
Ign/gas cap- 175
Rear MC(stuck) 30
Left rearset-50
Chinesium fairings-$650
Tires- $300
fluids, misc-$100
Stator cover+gasket $50
Total----. $3305 + a week or so nights and weekends, that should leave plenty on the table, $5-6k after made pretty? $1700-$2700 for 10-15 hours work and ride it for a month or 2 til it sells
Would it have a salvage title?

Nice find. Motor's bullet-proof. Fix the bits and pieces and get her up on her feet !.

Good luck, and post as you go. Everything you need to know is here at the ORG.

:D

Maybe your interpreter app is sick. The OP sz he paid $2,000 and the pic shows an ABS ring on the right side hub. Is that where they go? He also said the VIN and title say it is a 2005 but oddly there is a 2012 EPA sticker on it as well. Nearly everything else is from a Gen2. 2013 or newer? Confusing eh?
hmmmmmmmmm
have a short look at the speedo - there is no abs-warning-light in the rpm-gauge
and at the front wheel i can´t see an abs-wire
and behind the air-box no abs-hu is mounted
so in my - old eyes - view it is no ´13 or younger

Back