200MPH club Texas mile

zerotact

Registered
Hello,
I was looking at options to run the next texas mile. I just want to join the 200mph club. Looking at what it will take. It appears that nitrous would be cheaper than a turbo setup.. I'm really only looking for advice from experienced builders. As well as I don't have an endless budget.

a 50 shot of nitrous, derestriction and a sprocket change will theoretically do it....learn to tuck real good and don't miss any gears. :thumbsup:

Either Cycle World or Motorcyclist had an article on it last year.....total amateur as far as LSR goes rode it to 202 I believe. I still have the magazine and could get the article if needed but they were trying to do 200 on a budget like yourself.

Last edited:
What is your experience racing bikes...? What is your size (height, weight, etc.)...? What kind of bike do you have (Gen-I or II) and what mods...?

If you are 160lbs. it will be much easier than if you are 260lbs... :laugh:

Click my sig for build info on a Gen-II but that doesn't guarantee you will run those speeds.

There are a lot more things involved in going 200mph+ than people think so don't be surprised if you don't get it first time out... :beerchug:

I have a bone stock '06 busa Had it since new.
I'm 200lbs 5'7 31 years old... have had a street bike since I was 18.
I have many years offroad Racing hare scrambles. And an avid motorcycle collector. I pretty much grew up on bikes.

I have what I feel is an advantage in that I have the ability to fabricate and modify on my own. As well as pretty strong electrical background.
I've thought about replacing the engine control with a megasquirt.

So I don't nessasarily have to use off the shelf items..

The big questions are, with someone having done this before, is nitrous really any cheaper than a turbo.. Or build up the whole motor?

Will I have to lower and stretch the bike.
Can I fabricate any body filler panels or anything to help?

General things like that..

My intentions are to plan everything I need, before I start on anything. I am not going to just slap on part after part one at a time till I get to were I need.

more than a 50 dryshot
Pooteetat (board member) I build his bike and it want 200.002 with a 50 and some engine work with a 140# or less girl on it

I would recommend making the trip with your bike stock (or lightly modded) and do some base line runs. Get a feel for it and see if it's really what you want to do before you spend a bunch of money. Some people love it and some people it scares the poop out of... :laugh:

Next, I would ask your budget and how fast you really want to go...?

Are you just looking to go 200.00 MPH (then call it quits) or will you then want to go faster 210, 220+, etc. and continue to improve every race...?

Basic mods (nice parts combo and tune) should get you high 180's-to-low 190's N/A depending how well you can tuck and get out of the wind. It's a lot harder than people think to run the #. Theoretically xxx-hp/tq should get you there but there are a lot more variables in LSR. You never know until you try.... :beerchug:

Yea, I really just want to get to 200 not looking for 210 or anything.

And I realize that a lot of people gome out with a mild tune, and are suprised when it results in a 170-180 ish run.

What advantages will I gain with changing the geometry, such as lowering the bike, stretching, and even changing the triple tree to add more rake?
Is this something that's money well spent for LSR run? Probaby cut down a gas tank to allow for more tuck.

But the 1st question seems to be answered, I can builld the power I need within a smaller budget than a turbo system.

Personally, I would only lower the bike but wouldn't waste money stretching it or changing geometery.

A lowered tank might help, it just depends how much you can tuck to get out of the wind.

I would start with a Brock's Performance bare necessities kit (pipe, PC, links/strap, 1-piece clutch, etc.) and then add a 60-shot of nitrous to keep the cost down. Take it to Johnny Cheese for a tune and cross your fingers for good weather conditions... :thumbsup:

See how she runs before you spend more... ;)

Personally, I would only lower the bike but wouldn't waste money stretching it or changing geometery.

A lowered tank might help, it just depends how much you can tuck to get out of the wind.

I would start with a Brock's Performance bare necessities kit (pipe, PC, links/strap, 1-piece clutch, etc.) and then add a 60-shot of nitrous to keep the cost down. Take it to Johnny Cheese for a tune and cross your fingers for good weather conditions...

See how she runs before you spend more...
does this mean 230ish hp won't get you to 200mph?
also will it take around 300hp to get a solid 205 or 215?

It appears that there are a few that have done it with 200hp Gen II busas...
I may look into port work on the head.

As already mentioned the cheapest route to get you Gen 1 busa over 200mph is going to be a big shot of n2o.

Forget head work and all the rest because you're still probably going to end up needed some juice to get you over the two ton mark.

Also lower the bike but no stretch or rake is needed. If possible drop some weight. You've already got a good height but at 200lbs you should loose some.

I have to say though, if it's a one time deal you should really try and buddy up with someone that has a bike that proven to run over 200 all day long. A good turbo bike can do this and could be dialed down for your 200 pass if there's enough trust in your abilities, experience, and friendship with the owner. Either that or leave a big liability deposit with the owner.

Last edited:
does this mean 230ish hp won't get you to 200mph?
also will it take around 300hp to get a solid 205 or 215?

It all depends on the setup and rider. You can't just go out with a bike making 200, 300, or 400hp on a dyno sheet and run 200mph. I wish it were that easy...

Lots of variables and NOTHING is a guarantee for running 200mph.

I had a friend with a 280rwhp TURBO BUSA at the mile and he barely cracked 200mph and blew it up in the process. I only had 199rwhp and went 204 the same day...

On one hand I would like to say it's easy but if you don't know what you are doing, then it really isn't....

It appears that there are a few that have done it with 200hp Gen II busas...
I may look into port work on the head.

That might not be enough (honestly I don't think it will be). I would recommend running it stock or slightly modded and then see where you are at... :thumbsup:

Well time to scratch head, and look at parts available, parts i can make and start planning...
I am far from a stranger to building engines.. and understand that HP is just a number. This has been proven by 8 sec drag cars I have seen with only 500hp.. But the small block was turning 9000+ rpm, the weight was down to 2600lbs, a 5:13 rear end, and a well built powerglide..

I feel confident I can build a bike that's capable, my riding skills will the the one in question...

erm what!!
dont the 1999 or de-restricted hayabusa's go over 200mph stock...
It shouldn't take nos to get to a GPS proved 200mph+
My mates 2003 de-restricted and sprocket change went over 200mph...
No nos neaded... but i suppose it would get to the 200mph mark, in a quicker space of time...
Im just wondering tho, is it expencive to fill a nos bottle up?? and where do you go to do so?
Thanks

they hit 200, but not in a standing mile. bare minimum, diet, pipe, tune, filter, lowered, pull the mirrors off. if that doesn't get you there, hit it with some spray. i'd like to run 200 someday, but i'm waiting until i can afford to build the bike a bit better.

I think Got Busa has given you some good advice. I think they run twice a year at Texas. Take it stock and see what it's about.

Back