)2 Starter ClutchWithout taking the

Bronto

Registered
I know it's a problem on the 02's, but I can think it as maintenance
all_coholic.gif

Beyond the Starter clutch mod parts. What part is going out and have to be replaced just to get it back in stock 02 shape ?
I'm venturing a guess its the A bearing Part #10 on diagram below.
If this bearing is like other starter bearings seen. It works like a rachet that locks in one rotation direction. Frees up in the opposite direction. Looks most delicate among the parts.
The way the starter is failing to catch doesn't act like a gear tooth broken off. It'll miss catching anywhere or catch everywhere, depends on my luck
biggrin.gif

Parts I would get is cover gasket and this bearing. Thinking of getting that Protective ring slips inside the starter area. Helps prevents cover cracking if a tooth is busted off. Is that right or is there more parts required ?

Add to the concensus this probelm started because of a bad battery. The cold weather engine had unusual amount of compression kick backs. Thinking just a new battery would solve it. It didn't completely. Does start better. The battery will hold the starter on longer to get a start. But there is classic 02 clicking and spinning goin on some times.
Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

C4_Starter_Clutch.gif

biggrin.gif

number 9 is the issue---sprauge assm. [sic] maybe..it is sold as an assembly---i had to replace mine also--mine is an 01---like you said slip grab--or just slip--or just grab and turn over the engine...Got warranty? I got mine for free just before warranty ran out...Suzuki knows about this problem. And the Ti collar is a good idea too--even with a perfectly working starter it can still kick back and break parts. The HD batt is a very good idea to..spins faster lessening the chance of kickback.

Just to ad it's the part thats to the left of part # number ten.....thats the piece with the oneway rollers in it.
wink.gif
been there done that...

Thanks exactly what I needed to know. Bike isn't on warranty. Parts are nominal cost at Ronayers.

k2 assembly Part Number: 12600-24840
Description: CLUTCH SET,STAR

Like to have the parts before taking the bike apart. Less chance of downtime.
While I was at it, doing a Valve job. Local dealers will have shims in stock (finger's crossed).

Thanks again
Happy Holidays and have a Merry merry modding Winter
biggrin.gif

number 9 is the issue---sprauge assm. [sic] maybe..it is sold as an assembly---i had to replace mine also--mine is an 01---like you said slip grab--or just slip--or just grab and turn over the engine...Got warranty?  I got mine for free just before warranty ran out...Suzuki knows about this problem. And the Ti collar is a good idea too--even with a perfectly working starter it can still kick back and break parts. The HD batt is a very good idea to..spins faster lessening the chance of kickback.
Almost the same with mine, but not quite. The part I had to replace was #1 in the diagram. It was actually the starter gear that was fugged up. I had to replace the idler gear with the new heavy duty one. I also had to buy a new starter because the teeth on the starter were totally stripped. I already had the titanium sleeve from Schnitz Racing. I also went to the heavy duty battery (235cca) from Schnitz. It cost me about $650 for all the parts to correct the problem. One other thing. If you go with the heavy duty idler gear (which is highly recommended), you will have to do a slight modification to the gear housing. You will have to shim back an area inside the housing for the cover to be replaced. It will be very obvious to see what you'll have to shim inside the cover once you put it back on. If you have a Dremel, it's a piece of cake. If any further assistance is needed, give me a holla.

Brian

Back