Starter Compatibility

wdonovan

Registered
Help! Starter quit yesterday and I need to replace by weekend. Engine is '02 1300. I understand that in '03 a different starter was used, along with some of the starter gears. I can't get a new 99-02 starter in time for my Sunday race but I can get an 03 on starter. Does anyone know if the newer model can be used in my engine without changing other parts? Pictures show the gear / shaft to be longer on the new version. I have access to cutoff wheels and a surface grinder to shorten the shaft is need be. Anyone???

What's wrong with the starter? If your in a time crunch, could you just rebuild yours? I haven't heard of anyone doing it but it's just a starter.

Dunno what's rong yet. By time I can get it out of the car I have zero time left for diagnosis and to then order parts. Symptoms are solenoid clicks but jumping the big terminals does nothing. Not even a little spark so I have to assume the starter is open. That can be two things... windings or brushes. Any event, easiest fix is replace but all I can get quick is an 03 starter. Does anyone have one of each they can compare to see if I can cut the gear and use it?

I have a brand new one in the box but I believe it is an 03 as well.
Yeah! That's what I need. Could / would you do me a huge favor and measure the gear shaft (ruler is good enough). What I need to know is 1) diameter of gear shaft (mine is .465" or just under 1/2"), 2) number of teeth (mine has 9), 3) length of shaft from aluminum housing (mine is 1-1/4") and 4) length of shaft end from aluminum face where it locates on the engine (face that's past the o-ring) (mine is about 1.800" or about 1-13/16). Numbers 1 & 2 will tell me if the gear will work and #s 3&4 will prove if it's a later or earlier model. Really appreciate if you could give me those most helpful tidbits.

Dunno what's rong yet. By time I can get it out of the car I have zero time left for diagnosis and to then order parts. Symptoms are solenoid clicks but jumping the big terminals does nothing. Not even a little spark so I have to assume the starter is open. That can be two things... windings or brushes. Any event, easiest fix is replace but all I can get quick is an 03 starter. Does anyone have one of each they can compare to see if I can cut the gear and use it?
Hook some jumper cables to the positive terminal on the starter motor and the other negative cable to the ground and then make sure they’re not touching then go and connect the positive to your positive battery terminal and the negative to the negative. It should come on, if not you than know that it’s definitely your starter motor

if you mean your start motor, then its an easy fix, the part that needs replacing is 9 out of 10 times your brushes, then its cleaning the copper rotor and see how the bearing is. Brushes ar dirt cheap and only need some soldering. You can look on Youtube for startmotor rebuilds, most show how to measure the internal parts, but like i said...the part that fails is your brushes that just are not in spec anymore.

Back